VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

41 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Saw this in the cinema back in the day as 90s Cage was some quality Cage.  It stayed with me to the point that I couldn't look at anything saucier than the Freeman's catalogue for a few weeks.

It was so much better than I thought it was going to be. Not that I thought it was going to be shit or anything, it was just really fucking good. Feels like one that is due for a reappraisal (presuming it hasn't already happened). 

Ricky Stanicky is a bad film but it’s inoffensive and features Big Match John and his mad hair and isn’t too painful to watch. A lot is said of how you can’t make comedies anymore because of wokeness but I’d have felt a bit ripped off if I’d paid money and took travel time to go and see this. Not sure if I’d put it in the good shit film category but it’s in the watchable shit film category for sure.

• Paid Members

The Beekeeper

Absolute fucking nonsense. A decent revenge film, that I don't regret watching, while also being a load of barely sketched out bollocks that aims way too high with the plot in the third act.

Best part is when a character says to Jason Statham's character, "do I detect a hint of British Isles in your accent?", which had to have been written in late into shooting by a director exasperated at Statham not being able to keep up an American accent for more than two words at a time. Two or three other actors in it with Randomly Occurring Accent Syndrome too, and not one character who can keep their bee metaphors straight - who are the bees, what is the hive, and who is the hornet? Completely changes scene-to-scene. 

A ridiculous mess, would recommend.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The Beekeeper

Absolute fucking nonsense. A decent revenge film, that I don't regret watching, while also being a load of barely sketched out bollocks that aims way too high with the plot in the third act.

Best part is when a character says to Jason Statham's character, "do I detect a hint of British Isles in your accent?", which had to have been written in late into shooting by a director exasperated at Statham not being able to keep up an American accent for more than two words at a time. Two or three other actors in it with Randomly Occurring Accent Syndrome too, and not one character who can keep their bee metaphors straight - who are the bees, what is the hive, and who is the hornet? Completely changes scene-to-scene. 

A ridiculous mess, would recommend.

I slagged this off big time after walking out of the cinema. However after seeing Madame Web and Drive Away Dolls, it wasn't so bad after all. I think my favorite line was when the police officer said she'd lost her virginity in the barn that had been burnt down.

• Paid Members

I didn't even realise he was doing an accent, he always sounds like that. Also, it's a Jason Statham film, there are more important things to worry about.

14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I didn't even realise he was doing an accent, he always sounds like that. Also, it's a Jason Statham film, there are more important things to worry about.

The Stath is 10% better in his own accent. This is fact

47 minutes ago, Factotum said:

To this day I do not understand just not allowing Statham to be English in his films. Just let him have the accent. Nobody questioned Arnie as all American Dad when he was talking with his thick avvent

What accent?

• Paid Members

He had an accent at the start which I presumed was a bit of cover. When the guns come out he reverts back to Cockney 

It really was a great time and I hope we get multiple sequels, spin off series and a documentary crew following Adam Clay opening a market stall selling honey 

On the other hand I couldn’t stand Bottoms and the best part of it was when it ended. Heard nothing but good things about it so clearly I’m in the minority, but man I thought it was shite

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, waters44 said:

On the other hand I couldn’t stand Bottoms and the best part of it was when it ended. Heard nothing but good things about it so clearly I’m in the minority, but man I thought it was shite

I also really hated it. One of those modern comedies where the characters are just constantly endlessly talking and they are all saying weird shit and no one is reacting to any of the weird shit that people are just constantly endlessly saying without a single moment to breath. 

• Paid Members

Drive-Away Dolls (cinema)

Harmless. It doesn't all work and it overreaches at the end but I laughed a good few times and the cast were excellent. We should be making more daft 80 minute films, not discouraging them.

Red Right Hand

Orlando Bloom has a go at a DTV actioner and fares alright. It might have helped if there was more action in it, but that's not his fault. A disappointment from the guys who directed the really good Fatman. Features an Andie MacDowell performance that is amazingly bad even by her terrible standards.

Blood Simple (Mubi)

Watched in tribute to M. Emmet Walsh. Probably his greatest role and performance, definitely one of the greatest neo-noirs of all time. *That* scene is still one of the most horrible I've ever seen.

The Bravados and The Deadly Companions (Great! Movies)

A couple of old and extremely underrated westerns, the latter being Sam Peckinpah's debut. Absolute musts for western fans.

Edge of Darkness (1945) (Talking Pictures TV)

Excellent WW2 propaganda film, impressively bleak and extremely violent for its time, with a very solid Errol Flynn performance. The lad could act!

Chained (2012)

Offbeat serial killer thriller with an awesome Vincent D'Onofrio performance in the lead. The ending is disastrous, sadly, but the rest of it is very good and unpleasant.

The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales (Mubi)

Awesome Mexican black comedy about a taxidermist who has a 'troubled' relationship with his wife. Really comes into its own in the final third, but very funny throughout and loads of fun.

The Queen of Black Magic (1981) (YouTube)

Not the shitty recent remake but the original Indonesian horror film. Absolutely mental stuff, incredibly gory with a cracking story. Loved this.

• Paid Members

Poor Things - I'm not sure why, I had a suspicion I was going to hate this in a 'mother!'-esque way. Happy to report that I was wrong, I loved it. Emma Stone is terrific and Mark Ruffalo is funny as fuck. Great stuff.

Argylle - It's really daft but I had fun with it. A few twists and turns caught me massively by surprise and it was just a good time. Probably a bit too long and wears its welcome out by the end, but nowhere near as bad as I'd heard.

Drive-Away Dolls - Somehow simultaneously better than most reviews suggest while also being quite disappointing. Perfect running time and some good jokes (the two enforcers are good comedy value), but I always expect a bit more from a Coen. 

Werner Herzog: Reluctant Dreamer - A documentary about the career of Herzog... it's perfectly fine but if you know anything about Herzog this won't tell you anything new. 

Origin - A film about the author Isabel Wilkerson and her writing of the book 'Caste', I think at times it's a bit muddled and doesn't know whether it wants to be a biopic, a family drama or a look at historic caste discrimination. It is undeniably moving though and Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor is great.

Fast Charlie - Pierce Brosnan in an Elmore Leonard rip-off isn't as good as it sounds. It's shit. (Also, this was my first time using Amazon Prime Video in years and can confirm it's still a dire service compared to Netflix//Disney+.Lightyears behind in terms of UI, video quality etc. Terrible!)

I also watched Soul and Fight Club on the big screen. Both are great.

Road House (2024) A solid 3 star film that Connor McGregor is absolutely shit in. He’s the catalyst for both the action starting and the film becoming almost too cringey to watch. Terrible casting.