VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

This Is Me... Now - Bit of an oddity, this. An hour long film to accompany Jennifer Lopez's new album, it's massively self-indulgent but there's enough weirdness here to make it stand out from other 'video-albums'. Ben Affleck plays an incredible part.

The Iron Claw - It's really good. There's a few parts which didn't work for me (are world title matches a shoot or not?) and some of it could've been fleshed out more, but I think those criticisms only stem from me being a wrestling fan who knows the story. On a broader level, it works really well. Made me cry twice, thanks Sean Durkin.

Madame Web - Really boring and horribly miscast. Shite.

This week's re-release was Les Miserables. Sorry to let you all down but I like it. Well, the first half of it, anyway. Eddie Redmayne is rubbish.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

Poor Things (cinema)

Eh. I really like Lanthimos for the most part and I was really enjoying this for about an hour but after a while it just started to grate on me and it was just a bit too much of everything. Emma Stone is as awesome as reported and Willem Dafoe is superb, too, so it's worth seeing for them.

River (2023) (Prime rental)

This is the follow-up to an excellent Japanese time-travel comedy from a couple of years ago called Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes. It's a superb little timeloop comedy with a really funny gimmick. Both are hugely recommended if you like this sort of thing.

Who Invited Them (Shudder)

Really irritating and ultimately completely predictable twist on the home invasion movie. Shudder continues to be determined to make the crappest horror films imaginable.

Appointment with Venus (Talking Pictures TV)

Nice little wartime comedy about David Niven and gang trying to rescue a cow from a Nazi occupied Channel Island. Really daft, obviously, but funny and with an excellent cast.

Monolith (2022)

Australian sci-fi mystery about a podcaster who stumbles on something sinister. Typical of recent low budget sci-fi/horror - a great idea, an intriguing first hour or so, competely fucks the landing. Good to a point, though.

The House of Mirth (Mubi)

The late Terence Davies' best film, for me. Really downbeat and depressing but uses its strange cast to craft something that I've been thinking about all week. Amazing Gillian Anderson performance, too - easily the best I've ever seen from her.

Five Fingers of Death (Mubi)

The best Shaw Brothers film I've seen to date. The action is as crisp as I've seen in any film and while it doesn't have the comedy, it has the story and the characters. Awesome.

I've also been bingeing through all the Aki Kaurismaki films on Mubi. Like the Finnish Wes Anderson, they're mostly very similar with their styles and sense of humour and all good to great. The Match Factory Girl is the best of them, but also the one that dials down the humour a bit and is a lot more depressing.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

SOLD!

Make sure you catch Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes if you like it, too. They both compliment each other really well.

The Zone of Interest manages to be the most harrowing tale of fascism since Salo yet almost doesn't show a thing, I felt sick to my stomach throughout. Watching a house party next door to genocide while the same thing is going on today in the world..

Gladiator - still seems odd that they’re making a sequel. I kind of wish they went with the original rumoured idea of Maximus in the afterlife, but with Russell Crowe in his current hefty self. Anyway, I love this film. Top notch cast and probably still my favourite Joaquin Phoenix film (Her is a close second). 5/5

Matilda (first watch) - somehow this eluded me when I was a kid. I’m sure I would have had nightmares about Trunchbull. 3/5

The Godfather Part III: Coda - the only change I noticed was Michael falling off his chair at the end had been cut. Andy Garcia is great, but it’s still bang average. 3/5

What’s Love Got To Do With It (first watch) - Angela Bassett is superb and really throws herself into the more energetic of Tina’s songs. I must share this photo of the scene that directly followed a particularly harrowing scene of abuse.

spacer.png

The hair. Oh god, the hair. 4/5

Val (first watch) - documentary about Val Kilmer. It uses a lot of his own camcorder footage going back decades, interspersed with him now having battled throat cancer and barely able to speak. It made me realise how many of his films I’ve actually seen and forgotten about (Red Planet, Willow, Wonderland). And you get to see him push Brando on a hammock on the set of Dr Moreau. 3/5

Edited by Dr. Alan Grant
Spelling

• Paid Members

Watched The Iron Claw and now All of Us Strangers this week. Fuck me, two sad, sad films. What do I need for the hat-trick? 

Sad but great films. All of Us Strangers is haunting. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Weezenal said:

Watched The Iron Claw and now All of Us Strangers this week. Fuck me, two sad, sad films. What do I need for the hat-trick? 

The End We Start From is also a good laugh.

1 hour ago, Weezenal said:

Manchester By The Sea, it’s always Manchester By The Sea.

I watched Anyone But You (Amazon Crime) last night because I needed something light to end the weekend on. It's by the numbers and predictable but with enough laughs that I enjoyed enjoyed myself more than I thought I would. Will more than likely get a rewatch if I need something not too complex to have on in the background. It's also responsible for me waking up at 3am with Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield stuck in my head.

• Moderators

I watched all three Pitch Perfect films, and The Proposal with Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock. 

Perfect kind of background viewing whilst I've been playing the new Prince of Persia game on my Switch.

The Proposal is a really good example of how stupid and unrealistic the whole lot of 2000s 'grand gesture' romcoms are. Because it has good performances and a few decent moments of comedy but the whole romantic plot is just so unfathomable that it makes the movie nonsensical.

The genre really has gotten a lot better and I can't imagine that this and the uptick of diverse voices in movie making in Hollywood are a coincidence.

Pitch perfect 2 was pretty poor, coasting off hitting the same notes as the first. I like that they did something a bit different with number 3.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

I watched Anyone But You (Amazon Crime) last night because I needed something light to end the weekend on. It's by the numbers and predictable but with enough laughs that I enjoyed enjoyed myself more than I thought I would. Will more than likely get a rewatch if I need something not too complex to have on in the background. It's also responsible for me waking up at 3am with Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield stuck in my head.

I'm watching this tonight. Sydney Sweeney's awesome and I like Glen Powell a lot so I expect I'll like it just for them. Powell was superb in another romcom, Set It Up.