VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Cape Fear (1991). It's probably been 20 years since I last watched this but I had fond memories and was in the mood for a tense thriller. Hyped it up to the Mrs aswell, like a mug. It's still got it's moments, the handcuff scene is still harrowing, and Juliette Lewis' performance is particularly great. It's really long though and some scenes just seem to go on forever unnecessarily. The editing is weird too, some scenes just jump from one to another really harshly which was getting fairly distracting by the half way point. I still mostly enjoyed it but the wife hated it.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Cape Fear (1991). It's probably been 20 years since I last watched this but I had fond memories and was in the mood for a tense thriller. Hyped it up to the Mrs aswell, like a mug. It's still got it's moments, the handcuff scene is still harrowing, and Juliette Lewis' performance is particularly great. It's really long though and some scenes just seem to go on forever unnecessarily. The editing is weird too, some scenes just jump from one to another really harshly which was getting fairly distracting by the half way point. I still mostly enjoyed it but the wife hated it.

Needless to say the original is significantly better.

• Paid Members

Silence of the Lambs (1991) (Vue)

One of just five people in the audience this time. 7 rows to myself. Great way to watch it. And it's been years - I still think Brian Cox is a better Lecter, but I also think Silence of the Lambs is a better made film than Manhunter (and without the hilariously long scene where the detective figures something out in a 'Lisa needs braces' kind of way). In the wake of Mindhunter and learning more about that FBI department, it's interesting to see how much that work influenced Lambs. Also, watching Starling as a 40-year-old rather than the teenager I was last time makes me view it differently. Back then, she was basically a grown-up. Now, the power differential between her and everyone else is a key part of the story that went over my head back then. It's also interesting how they skip over the mystery aspect - Lecter's clues are solved as instantly as they're brought up, and the audience isn't kept wondering. It's not about keeping the audience wondering in that way, as there's enough to wonder about with regards to why Buffalo Bill is doing what he's doing.

If you could mix the best bits of Manhunter and Silence of the Lambs, that would be such a great film. As it is, I like Silence of the Lambs a lot, and it's gorgeously directed.

21 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Silence of the Lambs (1991) (Vue)

One of just five people in the audience this time. 7 rows to myself. Great way to watch it. And it's been years - I still think Brian Cox is a better Lecter, but I also think Silence of the Lambs is a better made film than Manhunter (and without the hilariously long scene where the detective figures something out in a 'Lisa needs braces' kind of way). In the wake of Mindhunter and learning more about that FBI department, it's interesting to see how much that work influenced Lambs. Also, watching Starling as a 40-year-old rather than the teenager I was last time makes me view it differently. Back then, she was basically a grown-up. Now, the power differential between her and everyone else is a key part of the story that went over my head back then. It's also interesting how they skip over the mystery aspect - Lecter's clues are solved as instantly as they're brought up, and the audience isn't kept wondering. It's not about keeping the audience wondering in that way, as there's enough to wonder about with regards to why Buffalo Bill is doing what he's doing.

If you could mix the best bits of Manhunter and Silence of the Lambs, that would be such a great film. As it is, I like Silence of the Lambs a lot, and it's gorgeously directed.

How did you think the Hannibal TV series compared? I'm quite curious about the upcoming Clarice show.

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Haven't watched it. Not avoiding it, but just haven't got round to it yet.

I really enjoyed it. I thought the casting was great, although it probably helps that I haven't seen the movies for a long time now. One of those series I keep meaning to go back on as I have fond memories of them.

58 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Wrong! Hannibal is so good that even Hugh Dancy can’t stink it up! Killing Eve owes a lot to it.

Did you know that Posho Hugh, who went to a posh school, has an old school chum who posts on here? I wonder who that could be. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Needless to say the original is significantly better.

I liked the 90s version when it came out, but watched the original after the remake got slaughtered in reviews. I will agree that the original was better, but (and I admit I've not seen either version for almost 30 years) I didn't think the remake was anywhere near as bad as was made out. 

A Private War. 
Marie Colvin was incredible, The lovely Rosamund is great, but this film was not. It didn’t seem to know if it wanted to be a war story or a straight up biopic. Performances were excellent though and Pike delivered some of the best “Fuck offs” I’ve heard since Sean Bean in Ronin. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

A Private War. 
Marie Colvin was incredible, The lovely Rosamund is great, but this film was not. It didn’t seem to know if it wanted to be a war story or a straight up biopic. Performances were excellent though and Pike delivered some of the best “Fuck offs” I’ve heard since Sean Bean in Ronin. 

Yeah, wasn't a fan. Just the usual biopic blandness.

Eternal Beauty (cinema)

Genuinely had no idea Craig Roberts directed this, and what a job he does of it as well. Amazing cast, with Sally Hawkins possibly the best on the planet right now. Really well handled story of a paranoid schizophrenic, one of the best of the year so far. Bonus - Billie Piper looking great.

To the Devil a Daughter (Talking Pictures TV)

Hammer's last horror before their revival, a really daft but enjoyable thing with a superb cast and some appalling effects. Of note to Loki and those like him should be a *certain* scene with Nastassja Kinski.

Humanoids from the Deep (1980) (Netflix)

Daft monster movie with rapey sea monsters, sentient puppets and tons of huge tits. Perfect.