VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, the Friday the 13th series only starts getting interesting from 3 onwards.

I find "Jason Takes Manhattan" interesting. It's utter crap, but it's something you can put on in the background and not be too bothered with.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I find "Jason Takes Manhattan" interesting. It's utter crap, but it's something you can put on in the background and not be too bothered with.

That's the best one!

• Paid Members

6 is brilliant, but 5 has one of my favourite details - the guy playing Tommy in it was a born again Christian, and apparently only felt comfortable doing it when he realised that evil was punished in the story. By 'evil', he meant pre-marital sex and drug use. So he was basically rooting for Jason because of Jesus.

Went searching for the bit I remembered in the Crystal Lake Memories book where he talks about it.

Screenshot_20201028-164318_Kindle.jpg

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

Wolfwalkers (cinema)

Confirmation, if we needed it, that Pixar finally have some much-needed competition. This is Cartoon Saloon's most complete work to date, just stunning in both its animation and depth of story. It made me feel bad to be English, too, by way of a splendid bonus. The best animated film of the year by a distance.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Wolfwalkers (cinema)

Confirmation, if we needed it, that Pixar finally have some much-needed competition. This is Cartoon Saloon's most complete work to date, just stunning in both its animation and depth of story. It made me feel bad to be English, too, by way of a splendid bonus. The best animated film of the year by a distance.

That's great to hear. On your recommendation I got my daughter to watch Kells and Song of the Sea which she loved. Having to wait for this to pop up on Apple TV+ in a few months as our cinemas are closed.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and X are the only ones really worth watching.

Oh and of course Freddy Vs Jason. 

5 is actually my favourite because it's just so mental, terrible and funny. It's also got probably the most brutal kills too.

I love all the Friday 13th movies and went through a period where I was briefly obsessed with them. None of them are any good but they have a strange charm to them and each one has its own strange take on the formula.

X is definitely the worst one.

The Witches. Completely devoid of any warmth and charm that the original had but Hathaway seemed to be doing her own tribute to Roald Dahl’s visceral anti Semitism without realising. Awful stuff. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

Friday the 13th - Part 8 - Jason Takes Manhattan. 

Jason didn't take Manhattan, just a bunch of clichéd teenagers and two boats. Still fun in places and Jason's reaction at the hockey billboard was a particular highlight.

Back on the shelf it goes forever and part 2 or 5 are the worst though this comes close.