VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Moderators
On 11/8/2020 at 11:12 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Mister America (VHS courtesy of The Victorville Film Archives)

TIM HEIDECKER IS A FUCKING MURDERER

It needed more expert movieexpertise for me by a movie expert like Gregg Turkington to make it a real 5 bagger. 

Edited by PowerButchi

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but a film I watched on Sony Movies months ago just popped in my head and I can't think what it was called

I had it in my head it was Jason Statham or Liam Neeson but having gone through their films in the last ten years I couldn't find it

Anyway, from what I can remember, a Hitman is in Switzerland or Germany to kill a girl whose parents have been killed earlier in the day but he decides to save her instead, then they end up back in England for the big showdown 

Can't remember any of the cast but anyone got any clues? It's doing my head in

On the subject of forgotten movies there's one I can't for the life of me remember the named of I watched a kid about some sort of chemical outbreak that drives people crazy. Definitely not The Crazies by the way. 

All I can remember is the following. 

Started off with some sort of botched raid that results in the leak. 

There's a scene where some government guy is giving thd usual "nothing to see here" speech which people point out is bollocks due to him wearing a gasmask. 

One of the team from the raid is exposed and spends the rest of the movie thinking he's in the wild West. 

Ends with the main character pulling off the government guys gasmask and leaving him before having a final scene with wild west guy who is on horseback. 

Been bugging me on and off for what has to be close to 30 years. 

That or my memory is mush. 

Just rembered another one that haunted my memory for years. 

Was about the spirit of a Samurai killing people in the US (seriously) and all I remembered was the final reveal. 

Turned out to be early 80's movie Bloodbeat and it's laughably rubbish. So naturally I bought it on bluray. 

• Paid Members

Watched Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life on iPlayer for the first time in ages. I still think it's a really fun adventure movie, fuck the haters. Nice variety of locations, loads of big daft action, and the shark punching/riding scene is the exact right amount of stupidity I want out of a film based on a game. The new one's pretty boring, despite having Goggins (not as boring as The Hateful Eight, though). I wish Queen Jolie's version would return.

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge On The Run

Great cameos, fantastic soundtrack, very funny. 11/10

Back To The Future trilogy

First one will forever be my favourite film ever, and this time I got to introduce them all to my youngest who, like her sister, absolutely loved them.

We stopped in the middle of 2 so she could write her own timeline and she kept adding to it whilst watching 3 so she could keep track of it all as she was getting confused, until her older sister just said "Simply, Doc from 1955 never leaves 1955 so is Doc A, and the other Doc is from 1985 so he's Doc B" which is a succinct way of remembering.

She then fantasy booked a reboot with Tom Holland as Marty and Jack Black as Doc, showing you who her favourite actors are. Not mad at it to be honest.

Whisper Of The Heart and The Cat Returns

Me and the eldest continue to work our way through the Ghibli films and adored both of these. I think she'd rather be a cat, so the latter especially was excellent to her. Have had to order her a Baron statue for Christmas.

The Burbs

Just a fantastic film, and they both loved it as well. Love Joe Dante and the skulls scared the shit out of the 7yo and she then wouldn't go to sleep, so it worked.

Independence Day 

Still the best example of absolutely silly bollocks film. Love it.

Die Hard 2

As brilliant as I remembered from my youth when I had it on taped VHS, rudely interrupted by the ITV news at 10 (I remember they cut it at a really fucking stupid moment too That must've been heavily cut as well because there was WAY more this time around and it can't have been me misremembering as I'm talking a good 15/20 minutes.

Empire Records

Best film of the 90s. 14/10