VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I always like seeing Victor Garber and Dan Levy was Dan Levy.

Garber's become one of the top character actors around, I love that guy.

Mank (Netflix)

David Fincher's latest. Looks great, acting's great, music's great - the usual Fincher staples. But I was surprised at how little there was to it beyond trying to make Orson Welles look a fraud. I quite liked it but Fincher should look in the mirror.

You Should Have Left (pirate)

Decent little horror film with Kevin Bacon and Amanda Seyfried slumming it. Takes too long to get going but you could say that about almost every horror film of the last decade.

What If (Netflix)

Nice enough romcom with a brilliant cast. Imagine what a power couple Adam Driver and Mackenzie Davis would be in real life. The bit with the window was superb.

• Paid Members

Dating Amber (Prime)

Another really nice comedy about a pair of friends united over wranglings over sexuality. On a par with The Half of It, in that regard. Brilliant soundtrack, too.

Big Time Adolescence (pirate)

I really don't understand the love or hate that Pete Davidson gets, and here he is playing exactly the same role he already seems to want to play all the time. The odd really good laugh but otherwise predictable and not especially good.

Logan Lucky (Prime)

I'm surprised I've only watched this three times as I love it so much. Soderbergh may be crap at most other things but there's nobody better at the crime comedy. Undecided on my preference for Daniel Craig's accent in this or Knives Out.

• Paid Members
On 12/4/2020 at 10:42 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Mank (Netflix)

David Fincher's latest. Looks great, acting's great, music's great - the usual Fincher staples. But I was surprised at how little there was to it beyond trying to make Orson Welles look a fraud. I quite liked it but Fincher should look in the mirror.

I really liked it. Went to see it in a double-bill with Citizen Kane (which I've not seen for a long time). It gave me a new appreciation for Kane as well, which meant I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

What I particularly liked about Mank was the way it kind of mirrors Kane. If the main question around Citizen Kane is 'Does Kane's last word give us insight into who he is', then with Mank, the question is 'Why did he decide on his masterpiece being a character assassination of people he knew (and one who he cared about), and what does this tell us about this person?'.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

I Used to Go Here (Prime rental)

Former UKFF favourite Gillian Jacobs in another low budget indie comedy, and another pretty good one, with funny support from Jemaine Clement. Very light stuff and therefore ideal for a Sunday afternoon.

Juliet, Naked (Netflix)

Nick Hornby's books usually get really good adaptations, and this is another example of that. Some nice stuff about fan 'ownership' of media and a well done romcom story done at the centre of it all. Really enjoyed this.

• Paid Members

Maximum Risk (1996) - Sony Movies Action

Shit tonnes of action. Nearly wall to wall. Van Damme in top form, beating the piss out of people in any number of ways, with added guns, car chases and explosions. Proper action movie length as well at around 1hour 35 minutes. 

The Last Full Measure (2019) - Sky Cinema

You know what? This was way better than I expected. It absolutely had me from start to finish. Sad, uplifting, emotional. Harris, Plummer, Fonda and Sam Jackson all played their part in telling you a story about hope and heroes and I thought it was great. 

The Cotton Club (1984) --Talking Pictures

Between TCM, Sony and Talking Pictures, there is scarcely any need for other outlets these days as they have such great output that they tend to keep me occupied all by themselves. This was stylish as hell, and Gere, as always, can do stylish like few others. Almost a time capsule piece, you could say. The dancing and music, all as a back drop for the gangster and romance drama, this had a bit of everything. Bob Hoskins in this? Not somebody that I would have wanted to rub the wrong way. 

• Paid Members

Honest Thief (pirate)

Standard Liam Neeson fare, and I do mean that in a good way, although you will have to endure Jai Courtney's extremely shit performance. Just over 90 minutes though, so you can't grumble.

The Personal History of David Copperfield (Prime)

Rushed Dickens adaptation by Armando Iannucci, would have been far more effective as a mini-series or something. Still worth seeing for its great cast, especially Daisy May Cooper as Peggotty and Ben Whishaw making up for being a terrible Q by being a fantastic Uriah Heep.

Kelly's Heroes (Prime rental)

Long time no rewatch for this UKFF favourite. Would love to see someone do an updated version of this.

Von Ryan's Express (pirate)

Completing my dad film double-bill. One of Frank Sinatra's best as an actor, deserves more respect as one of the great WW2 action films.

• Paid Members

Freaky - I'm not a huge fan of horror comedys but this was a right laugh. All the cast are decent and it gives the feeling that everyone involved was having a blast. The ending was a bit shit but its ridiculously gruesome in parts & Vince Vaughn is great  

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Ralphy said:

This i think is just the place to i ask this question i think! 

To clear my mind i went for a stroll earlier and it got me thinking, for some reason, about trying to find films that involve growing up in the 90's or 90's themed stuff, anything with nostalgia really for someone who was 5 - 15 years old in that decade 

I would love to find something about a group of kids/teens growing up together in the uk and anything to do with friendships. Anything like this cheers me up

its why i like films such as the goonies, stand by me for example, as although its not British, it involves young friends hanging out, getting upto mischief and generally having a good time much like i did as at that age 

Hopefully that explains it enough, i finding it a bit hard to put into words 

I have netflix and torrents, so i should be able to get pretty much anything recommended 

Son of Rambow is a great watch but is early 80’s. I can’t think of any British ones in the 90’s,

• Paid Members

I watched Terminator Dark Fate last weekend. It was alright. I like the new characters. Uncanny Valley Arnie, young Linda Hamilton and Baby Edward Furlong was dealt with well. It just felt like it'd mostly been done before. Grace was a good character, and I liked the stakes they had around her needing to get the medication. I'd probably give a sequel a watch, but would want to see how they'd handle things without help from the future, and only the knowledge they have. Could make for a nice new spin.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'd probably give a sequel a watch

Me too, but it ain't gonna happen as Dark Fate under-performed at the cinema. I thought it was excellent, personally, far and away the best Terminator film outside the first two.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Me too, but it ain't gonna happen as Dark Fate under-performed at the cinema. I thought it was excellent, personally, far and away the best Terminator film outside the first two.

Probably because James Cameron was involved. If there hadn't been a dearth of other Terminator movies in between it would probably have done better. 

• Paid Members

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs

Been on my watchlist forever, as I'm a massive Tom Waits fan. Been in a Wild West frame of mind lately, as I've been playing Red Dead 2 and reading a biography of Buffalo Bill, so thought it was about time to watch it.

It's a mixed bag. The Tom Waits part is lovely, and he's fantastic as ever. The initial short (the actual Buster Scruggs bit) is brilliant and hilarious, but really it's largely downhill from there. "The Gal Who Got Rattled" is interminably long, despite being the least interesting story of the lot.