VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

Death of Stalin is hilarious (until the end). The accents slay me. Bonus points for giving Palin something to do, but it's Jason Isaacs who steals the show for me. 

If you've not seen it it's on iplayer now. Treat yourself. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

What If. A shit romcom with Harry Potter but made bearable by Adam Driver. 

Him heckling a crown green bowling match was the clear highlight. Along with Mackenzie.

• Awards Moderator

When Harry Met Sally

It’s not a rom-com. It’s an absolutely gorgeous film about cynicism, nihilism, hope, friendship, denial and, yes, love.

Billy Crystal is unbelievable in it, but Bruno Kirby steals the show. It’s the best.

Very much recommend it if you’re cripplingly lonely and want to torture yourself.

• Paid Members

American Pie (pirate)

It's pretty shit and not very funny. More Seann William Scott might have saved it. Minus more points for having lacrosse in it.

City Slickers (Netflix)

TIL that Jake Gyllenhaal is one of Billy Crystal's kids in this. Otherwise mediocre aside from Helen Slater on a horse.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

City Slickers (Netflix)

TIL that Jake Gyllenhaal is one of Billy Crystal's kids in this. Otherwise mediocre aside from Helen Slater on a horse.

I think mediocre might even be a bit generous but I do still want to see the sequel whenever it shows up on a streamer. I remember them being all over the video shop as a kid but never saw either until the first cropped up on Netflix.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, DEF said:

I think mediocre might even be a bit generous but I do still want to see the sequel whenever it shows up on a streamer. I remember them being all over the video shop as a kid but never saw either until the first cropped up on Netflix.

The sequel is amazingly shit. Big clue - Jon Lovitz is in it.

• Awards Moderator
6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The sequel is amazingly shit. Big clue - Jon Lovitz is in it.

And if I remember right a main character coming back from the dead with the "oh I'm his twin brother" line. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

And if I remember right a main character coming back from the dead with the "oh I'm his twin brother" line. 

Lovitz and magic twin brother gimmick screams shit. Now I must see it.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, DEF said:

Lovitz and magic twin brother gimmick screams shit. Now I must see it.

I saw number 2 on Sony Movies or one of those similar free channels after watching the first one recently. Can confirm it's not very good.

Assume they repeat fairly often on those channels so you might get "lucky".  

Little Women (2019). I can’t tell you what it is that makes this kind of guff entertaining and what it is that makes it as dull and predictable as all the rest but this was one of the best period dramas I’ve sat all the way through. Given that her previous film was a coming of age teen drama that I really liked too its fair to say Greta Gerwig has a very promising career as a director of films I shouldn’t relate to but do. Florence Pugh was my stand out in the lesser showy role but they’re all very good and Chalamet can do no wrong can he? I have four daughters and terrible anxiety about absolutely anything bad happening to them so I definitely didn’t cry at the end, especially when it shows you them all together as small children play acting.

I've watched so many films in the last week it would be unkind for me to subject you all to my awful ramblings, but I did watch Air Force One for the first time ever which was absolutely fantastic and hilarious.

The bit where some of the *spoiler I'm afraid* hostages jump out of the plane had me howling, as one of the women just smiles sweetly as she descends, as if she's skydiving for charity rather than fleeing terrorists after being traumatised for hours. Just brilliant.

Also, discovered where a sample for a hip hop song came from (Pharoahe Monch-Mayor if anyone cares) and that always pops me big time.