VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

That 8-bit version of Band On The Run is pretty special. 

Can't decide whether I prefer it to that version of No More Lonely Nights, though. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Was forced to watch Spy last night. Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen. Paul Feig is an absolute hack, shouldn't be allowed to make films and has absolutely no concept of what makes comedy films good. Truly, truly terrible. I'm glad that the Apatow/Feig style of comedy seems to be dying out these days.

I also recently saw Saint Francis and The Peanut Butter Falcon. Both are incredibly funny, sweet, refreshing and lovely films. However Falcon completely drops the ball at the end with a fucking mental and disastrous final 10 minutes but up til that point is really great. 

Bad Education. Thankfully not a remake of that Jack Whitehall shite. Hugh Jackman should do way more stuff like this. I wasn’t aware it was a true story going in but it becomes apparent pretty quickly and my only complaint is it didn’t have enough Allison Janney which to be fair would be a common complaint of anything with Allison Janney in it.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Was forced to watch Spy last night. Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen. Paul Feig is an absolute hack, shouldn't be allowed to make films and has absolutely no concept of what makes comedy films good. Truly, truly terrible.

Film Club: Bridesmaids — The Mix Support Community

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Was forced to watch Spy last night. Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen. Paul Feig is an absolute hack, shouldn't be allowed to make films and has absolutely no concept of what makes comedy films good. Truly, truly terrible. I'm glad that the Apatow/Feig style of comedy seems to be dying out these days.

Paul Feig created Freaks & Geeks so you're already wrong.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Paul Feig created Freaks & Geeks so you're already wrong.

I haven't seen it, I'm afraid. Heard good things though. Doesn't change the fact that Spy is two hours of extremely unfunny smug bad improv.

I watched Possum earlier in the week and it's one of the best things I've seen in ages. Truly horrifying and beautifully made. Can't get it out of my head.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Just watched Tenet. Is it supposed to make any sense, or is it just another Nolan pretty looking nonsense fest? 

Thought Patterson was really good and Arron Taylor Johnson’s Tom Hardy discount special was better then the real deal. At least I could understand what he was saying. 

• Paid Members

I think it's the only film I've seen where during the big finale I literally had no idea what was happening, why everyone was fighting or what the end goal was even supposed to be. I don't understand the central gimmick of the film at all. Why should I care that there's technology that can make things go in reverse? Even the characters in the film don't seem to care. Nolan completely lost the plot on this one.

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Spy is two hours of extremely unfunny smug bad improv.

So, usual improv then?

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I watched Possum earlier in the week and it's one of the best things I've seen in ages. Truly horrifying and beautifully made. Can't get it out of my head.

It’s incredible isn’t it? Really gets under the skin and no matter how much you think it’s gone, it comes back. 

On 1/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, Chris B said:

The Silent Partner (1978, Talking Pictures TV)

I hadn't heard of this before, but saw Elliot Gould and Christopher Plummer as the stars and I was sold. It's a thriller with a really nice set-up - a bank teller (Gould) realises that someone is casing the joint (Plummer), so hides $50,000 for himself, letting the robber get away with just a few thousand. When the robber hears on the news that he supposedly stole $50k, he goes after Gould for the rest.

It goes a lot more back and forward than I expected, and between this and The Long Goodbye, I can see why Gould was becoming a big star for a while there. He's great in this, but Plummer is terrifying - psychopathic, violent, yet mannered and quiet, and seeming to enjoy a lot of it. His disguises are wild too, including him trying to hold up a bank as Santa Claus. 

Apparently, the director (Daryl Duke) was briefly thrown off the film for not wanting to film a particular scene involving violence against women, and they got in another director to do that. He was absolutely right - it's an unpleasant scene, obviously, but it's also wildly at odds with the film.

Overall, it's a tight little thriller, and I'm surprised to have not heard of it before. Also features a very early role for John Candy, which is nice to see. Talking Pictures tend to show stuff a few times, so keep an eye out for it if you fancy it.

Thanks for this recommendation.  I watched it last night and really enjoyed it and agree that both leads were superb.  Celine Lomez was one seriously good looking women too.

Was totally thrown off guard by that bolded scene, it was seriously nasty and wasn't expecting it at all.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Magnum Milano said:

Thanks for this recommendation.  I watched it last night and really enjoyed it and agree that both leads were superb.  Celine Lomez was one seriously good looking women too.

Was totally thrown off guard by that bolded scene, it was seriously nasty and wasn't expecting it at all.

Glad you enjoyed it, and agreed on both Celine Lomez (good lord) and the violence.

How did you watch it? Is there a catch-up for Talking Pictures somewhere? I couldn't find a streaming link for the film anywhere.

27 minutes ago, Chris B said:

How did you watch it? Is there a catch-up for Talking Pictures somewhere? I couldn't find a streaming link for the film anywhere.

I torrented it.  I wasn't sure whether it would be on the site I get my films/docs from but thankfully it was up there (if you are looking to watch it again and want a link drop me a pm).

Forgot to mention that I thought the ending was very clever and didn't see that coming at all.  In fact, most things that I thought *would* happen didn't!

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Glad you enjoyed it, and agreed on both Celine Lomez (good lord) and the violence.

No, and they've said they have no intention of ever starting one as they feel it goes against the  character of the station in waiting for an old classic you've not seen in years.