VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Something of a dodgy as hell film weekend film wise. 

Gallowwalkers (My5)

Wesley Snipes in his last role before prison. Completely incoherent plot but stunning visuals. Reminds me of Bounty Killer a little with it's extreme gore. 

Titanic 2 (My5)

What can I say about this zero budget film starring the youngest Van Dyke and Bruce Davison. Utterly bonkers from start to finish, with some god awful special effects. 

Megafault (My5)

Brilliantly terrible Earthquake movie. Shots are reused multiple, multiple times to no affect whatsoever, has Bruce Davison and a very ill looking Brittany Murphy in it, awful dialogue and horrible cgi. It's therefore utterly brilliant. 

Megashark vs Crocosaurus (My5) 

The hits keep on rolling and a giant shark that sinks a battle ship without even touching it and a Crocosaurus that can hide in about 2 inches of swamp water. It's a wild ride is probably the best acted of the four seen and at least tries despite the zero budget. 

Beyond The Mat (Netflix) 

Aged horribly given Mick Foley's decline and the state of the WWE these days. The Jake stuff then too wasn't even the tip of the iceberg and a follow up documentary where people are still alive would be perhaps better. 

Appreciated for what it was after not seeing it for years. Louis Theroux's Weird Weekend is a better documentary and holds up more though. 

• Awards Moderator

I hadn’t seen Beyond The Mat at all before yesterday but it was a fascinating time capsule. Terry Funk is actually retired now, right?

The main thing that struck me was the extraordinary access he got to the WWF. Can you imagine anyone outside the company getting anything close to that these days?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I hadn’t seen Beyond The Mat at all before yesterday but it was a fascinating time capsule. Terry Funk is actually retired now, right?

The main thing that struck me was the extraordinary access he got to the WWF. Can you imagine anyone outside the company getting anything close to that these days?

Wrestling with Shadows is around the same time frame too. They were far less restrictive then.

5 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I think that Beyond the Mat was the main reason they became so much more closed up to the outside world. Funk must have went on another 15 years before actually retiring. 

Sure it had an impact. There were a load of shitty E! style documentaries around the wrestling boom from terrible interpretations of how wrestling is worked to backyard wrestling to looking at the drugs in wrestling that led them and WCW to stop guys doing shit like that. think it's in Foley's book too that one of the docs on backyard wrestling fiddled the editing to make it look like he was endorsing backyarders nearly killing themselves.

• Paid Members

Castle Freak (Prime Full Moon channel)

Stuart Gordon was so bloody good, man. Lovecraft has rarely been adapted well in film history but Gordon just got him. Not even one of Gordon's best but still great by anyone's standards.

Night of the Eagle (Talking Pictures TV)

A moustache-less Peter Wyngarde was a distraction but otherwise this is a superb British 60s horror film that proved there was life beyond Hammer. Probably as good as anything Hammer ever made too.

The Lair of the White Worm (nefarious)

I know there's a lot of ironic love for this one because it's so daft but it's genuinely so enjoyable that it can just be enjoyed on its own terms. I'm sure Hugh Grant remembers it fondly.

Fade to Black (nefarious)

Dennis Christopher as a film nerd who goes off the rails when a Marilyn Monroe impersonator stands him up, becoming a serial killer who impersonates film characters while killing people. One of the unsung horror gems of the 80s, with a hilarious support role from Tim Thomerson. Utter quality.

• Paid Members

Possum (nefarious)

Well this was great. You think you always know what you'll get with Sean Harris but this one is a slightly different role for him. Genuinely unsettling and one of the best things I've seen this year.

Death of Me (nefarious)

Darren Lynn Bousman is one of the worst directors on the planet and I can't wait to not watch the new Saw film. Luke Hemsworth can't act. Maggie Q tho. Utter shit as expected.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Possum (nefarious)

Well this was great. You think you always know what you'll get with Sean Harris but this one is a slightly different role for him. Genuinely unsettling and one of the best things I've seen this year.

Yep, it’s fantastic. Really gets under the skin and stays with you afterwards. Brilliant film. 

• Paid Members

Cherry Falls (nefarious)

You know, I reckon this is easily one of the best slashers since the turn of the 2000s. I was expecting it to be another shitty Scream knock-off (reminder that all the Scream films are shit) but it's just not and I didn't just love it for Brittany Murphy. Enjoyably weird, too.

The Oracle (YouTube)

Potty mid-80s horror with a budget of about 57p about a woman who finds a weird sort of Ouija board thing in her basement and unleashes.... well, I don't know, the effects were so shit. Still pretty funny though.

• Paid Members

The Wolf of Snow Hollow

What a disappointment. After Thunder Road, I think everyone had huge expectations for Jim Cummings but this just doesn't work at all. It brings in all the 'incompetent cop' stuff of Thunder Road into a monster movie, which is a good idea, but its tone is all off and there are just way too many other things going on. Maybe the biggest disappointment of the year.

Wait Until Dark

A blind woman played by Audrey Hepburn is conned and terrorised in her flat by a trio of criminals looking for a doll stuffed with heroin. Alan Arkin is great as the main villain, absolute nasty bastard. The majority of the film is set in the basement flat which gives a sense of claustrophobia and inability for her to escape. As the film progresses to the final 20 minutes, the suspense is ramped up. Henry Mancini's score is indelible here, especially leaving his mark on one moment towards the end. Directed by Terence Young who did the early Bond films and also the next film we watched.

Bloodline

Based on the book by Sidney Sheldon this was also a suspense thriller, or billed as such. It was on Saturday night on Talking Pictures. It was shit. Released 12 years after, Wait Until Dark with the same lead & same director. Basic plot is, after Hepburn's father dies in a mountaineering accident she becomes the CEO of the family pharmaceutical business. All the other board members want the company to go public so they can sell their stock. She disagrees and now someone is trying to kill her. Hepburn is in semi retirement by this point but her rumoured  $1m pay probably tempted her out. The budget for the film was $12m (in 1979) but the special effects are terrible, At one point the family factory is ablaze, as Hepburn looks out the window. It's clearly a photograph with flames behind it. At another point, a family member is a F1 racing driver at a race and to simulate this, they've just used stock footage from a real F1 race.

To make the film a bit more saucy, they threw in a snuff film subplot where a bloke who looks like Telly Savalas keeps shagging women and then strangling them. Allegedly when Hepburn heard about this part of the film she wanted out but was under contract. The police inspector who's overseeing this whole mess is Gert Frobe aka Goldfinger. My favourite scene is when two French police officers take Goldfinger to a screening of a snuff film and at the climax, one officer turns to Goldfinger and says "she is dead.....very dead". Omar Sharif is also hovering around in the background as a comedic lothario. Everywhere he goes with his wife and kids, his mistress and kids turn up and vice versa.

Lacking ideas for the finale. They've stolen a bit from Wait Until Dark and going back further, nicked a bit from Charade. A much, much better Hepburn film than this. Bloodline's a terrible film, one of those films, you have to see to see how shite it is. A made for TV film with a blockbuster budget.

• Paid Members

Auto Focus (2002)

Greg Kinnear in the true story of a family man sitcom star in the 60s/70s who's so obsessed with shagging around and making sex tapes of himself that it brings about his downfall.

Willem Dafoe was great as his sleazy desperate friend who's an enthusiast of early video technology and old school swinging sex stuff

It reminded me of all the other biopics from around that time but the seedy sex angle gave it a bit of an edge. It was easy to watch but it wasn't particularly exciting despite the scandalous subject matter. 

• Moderators
On 10/15/2020 at 4:08 AM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Auto Focus (2002)

Greg Kinnear in the true story of a family man sitcom star in the 60s/70s who's so obsessed with shagging around and making sex tapes of himself that it brings about his downfall.

Willem Dafoe was great as his sleazy desperate friend who's an enthusiast of early video technology and old school swinging sex stuff

It reminded me of all the other biopics from around that time but the seedy sex angle gave it a bit of an edge. It was easy to watch but it wasn't particularly exciting despite the scandalous subject matter. 

Read that as Roy Kinnear first and now wish with all my heart that such a film would have been made.