• Paid Members

Enola Holmes (Netflix)

I really hate the character Sherlock Holmes so any story that takes away the focus from him was more likely to work with me. Can't put my finger on why I liked this so much, probably mostly to do with Millie Bobby Brown being so good in the lead. Henry Cavill plays a more likeable version of Sherlock and there's a Frances de la Tour appearance. Really decent.

Downtown (Prime rental)

A Forest Whitaker / Anthony Edwards buddy cop film, anyone? Doesn't really work as neither of them are especially funny but Joey Pants plays a superb villain and Art Evans swears a lot and called Edwards a "bubble fuck". Also, Penelope Ann Miller ❤️

Missing (nefarious means)

Early 80s political drama about the 1973 Chilean coup. Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek are great as ever, but it doesn't really dig deep enough into the politics and American involvement. Worth it for the acting.

Blue Streak (Netflix)

Martin Lawrence just annoys me so I don't know why I watched this. He plays Martin Lawrence, Luke Wilson plays an idiot, neither of them are very funny although the action's pretty good and Dave Chappelle gets all the laughs that are here.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate this argument that implies if you can't enjoy them you're some kind of killjoy. I wouldn't watch a film wanting to or expecting to hate it. It's not my fault that those films are so intrusively

I’ve got to pick my daughter up from school at 12, just enough time to squeeze this in  

Is it Butch? 

Posted Images

I went to see Blue Streak at the cinema during that time in my life where I was only just allowed to see films On my own at the Cinema. Unfortunately other films in this collection were Man in the Iron Mask, The Preachers Wife and Rules of Engagement (might actually be good but not what a teenage Danger was looking for from a Samuel L. Jackson war film).

Needless to say I never felt the need to rewatch Blue Streak.

3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I really hate the character Sherlock Holmes so any story that takes away the focus from him was more likely to work with me

The best Holmes was Daniel Davis, I’m sure you’ll agree. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The best Holmes was Daniel Davis, I’m sure you’ll agree. 

Considering he played Moriarty, not really.

To offer more than sarcasm, the best Sherlock Holmes on film is Basil Rathbone, Peter Cushing or Robert Stephens.

Edited by Chris B
  • Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Considering he played Moriarty, not really.

To offer more than sarcasm, the best Sherlock Holmes on film is Basil Rathbone, Peter Cushing or Robert Stephens.

I hate them all. And the Sherlock Holmes / Moriarty episodes were always the worst Star Trek episodes. Shercock Holmes, more like. Morifarty, more like. And so on.

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

I hate them all. And the Sherlock Holmes / Moriarty episodes were always the worst Star Trek episodes. Shercock Holmes, more like. Morifarty, more like. And so on.

Even the Billy Wilder one? 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Even the Billy Wilder one? 

I haven't watched The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes because I love Wilder too much and I don't want him to upset me. Still, it can't be as bad as Fedora.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah I know, just wanted to remind Devon of some of the best Next Generation episodes. 

I thought you hated those ones!

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

No, mainly for him though, he’s brilliant in them. Bet you’re one of the wronguns who doesn’t like Q. 

Granted, he's a great actor. Did you know he played a character in The Hunt for Red October who was captain of the USS Enterprise?

No, I love the Q episodes, they always did something different with them. Probably best saved for the Star Trek thread though.

• Paid Members

5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Blue Streak (Netflix)

Martin Lawrence just annoys me so I don't know why I watched this. He plays Martin Lawrence, Luke Wilson plays an idiot, neither of them are very funny although the action's pretty good and Dave Chappelle gets all the laughs that are here.

This scene absolutely creased me.

In anyone else's hands/mouths - particularly Martin Lawrence - those lines would have been absolutely poxy, but Chapelle's delivery is astounding.

LegitimateMetallicArgentinehornedfrog-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Scott Malbranque
  • Paid Members

To Kill a Mockingbird (nefarious means)

Still a wonderful piece of work, doesn't really need any explanation why. If you really must do the 'white saviour' narrative, at least acknowledge its problems, as this story does.

Mission of Justice (YouTube)

This was fantastic. Jeff Wincott goes undercover at Brigitte Nielsen's weird vigilante justice commune to find out who murdered his best mate. The fight scenes and stunts are absolute quality, Wincott was really underrated, and Karen Sheperd was definitely on a par with Cynthia Rothrock. Loved this.

• Paid Members

Samurai Assassin (1965) - DVD

I love a good Samurai film. Particularly the classics. Toshiro Mifune stars and its directed by Kihachiro Okamoto who would go on to direct my favourite samurai film Sword of Doom a year later.

It's not quite on the level of Sword of Doom but it's still well worth a watch. Slightly less choppy choppy than I'd like but enough to keep me satisfied and cinematography is ace.

I watched Crank: High Voltage last night. I remember seeing it at the cinema and getting annoyed about 3/4 of the way through because it just got "too silly" My girlfriend (or wife, I've no idea when this film came out or when we got married. it's the same person regardless of timeframe) laughed at that at the time because "it's a sequel to Crank, what did you expect?" Last night i decided to give it another go and for the first three quarters of it really enjoyed it, but then, once again, it just got too silly. i'm all for suspension of disbelief , inventive deaths and corny one liners but it just gets too daft towards the end. The head suspended in some kind of liquid like an episode of Doctor Who or a 1960's horror film? it's a no from me. Still, any news on a third one?