VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Watched the whole IP Man film series over the last week. Absolutely stunning with amazing action scenes. Donnie Yen is just superb. I can't think of any other 5 film series where every single one is brilliant.

It's now got me wanting more of the genre so any recommendations of something similar would be great.

Coming 2 America (Amazon Crime). Not great but did manage to make me laugh out loud a few times, mainly Eddie Murphy/ Arsenio Hall when they're covered in prosthetics. Wesley Snipes is great fun aswell, looks like he was having the time of his life.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I was absolutely ironed clean out with food poisoning for two days. Honestly, my poor belly and bum.
I watched the below, over the course of a sorrowful, pitiful, sleepless 48 hours:

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion:
It’s one of my all time favourite flicks, and to be honest, reading the subtitles may seem like a chore when you’re balls deep in cramps and self pity, but it really does help in taking your mind off things. Wonderful, wonderful movie that was far, far ahead of its’ time and it’s one of those sort that I’ll only watch once every two years.

Run Lola Run:
Because the reading of subtitles was akin to Lamaze breathing with regards my situation, I said I’d watch a film I’ve loved since I saw it by accident in the flicks all those years ago. The whole thing is fantastic. Franka Potente is one of the best looking people on the planet, and I know the movie is not to everyone’s taste, but to me it was the original Crank and I love the absolute absurdity and insanity of the movie. Running 1 is a fucking superlative piece of electronic music, too. So when that finished, I had an awful wank, a cup of tea and got sick.

Charade:
Another wonderful movie with such a magnificent cast. I just adore this movie from top to bottom, and it’s just one of those movies I’ll always turn to when I’m under the weather.
Cliché, I know, but I still find myself saying “Hitchcock was fantastic really, wasn’t he?” knowing full well it’s not even a Hitchcock movie. Also, to me – personally – it’s Henry Mancini’s best work.

In Bruges:
Because a really, really funny Colin Farrell Wish.com video came into the WhatsApp group, I said “Ah sure, g’wan then. I’ll have a bit of Faddler!”. It’s one of those movies that gets better with every watch. It’s amazing how the reason they’re where they are is so, so dark and you really should hate the Ray character, but his little face and eyebrows make you just want to give him a hot water bottle or something. The earnest delivery of “What are you filming midgets for?” cheered me up at a point in the day where I thought I’d never do another thing but gik, ever again.

Knives Out:
It’s a film that I don’t think will ever get old, no matter how many times I know what’s coming. Looking at all the characters’  reactions throughout the movie on repeat viewings makes it even more interesting and funny.
I really hope they do a 2nd, as I think Craig is so, so good in that role.  

I also watched BASEketball, Guns Akimbo, Creep (2004) and the Blair Witch Project. Haven’t the energy of patience to write much more, and I’m sure you wouldn’t have the patience or energy to read any more, but that’s what I did. That’s what I watched.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

On 2/26/2021 at 9:36 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Kid Detective

I'm undecided on whether this works. I've seen it compared to Brick, but I think it's only because it deals with a high school crime. Its humour is patchy and it goes extremely dark at the end - too dark even for a film that's never trying to be 'real life laughing' funny. It's a bit different and rarely predictable though, and Adam Brody and Sophie Nelisse are great. Might need to give it another go.

I thought the end was incredible. This film came out of nowhere for me and I really dug it. Adam Brody should be in more. He's been on a good streak lately.

I CARE A LOT

Maybe I've got old, but I really don't care anymore for films where I don't give two shits about anyone in a film.

2 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I CARE A LOT

Maybe I've got old, but I really don't care anymore for films where I don't give two shits about anyone in a film

Innit. It’s like wrestling when there is no good guy to root for. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Franka Potente is one of the best looking people on the planet

You and I agree on almost everything, but especially this. She is wonderful.

Get well soon! xx

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 4:27 AM, Murtz said:

Watched the whole IP Man film series over the last week. Absolutely stunning with amazing action scenes. Donnie Yen is just superb. I can't think of any other 5 film series where every single one is brilliant.

It's now got me wanting more of the genre so any recommendations of something similar would be great.

5? Which one of the many spin offs are you considering part of the main series?

• Paid Members

Coming 2 America. It looks like they only had 3 sets to film in. Some of the green screen work was shocking as well. As a piece of nostalgia I guess it works. But it’s not half as funny as the first film. Not the worst comedy sequel but could have been better

Quatermass And The Pit. 

Dusted off that lovely Hammer box set that was released ages back and finally got around to watching this movie for the first time. 

Despite obviously being pretty dated I really enjoyed it, especially the final stretch.

Nice little blend of science fiction and horror. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Quatermass And The Pit. 

Dusted off that lovely Hammer box set that was released ages back and finally got around to watching this movie for the first time. 

Despite obviously being pretty dated I really enjoyed it, especially the final stretch.

Nice little blend of science fiction and horror. 

If you can find it (it's on DailyMotion), it's worth checking out the original TV series starring Andre Morrell too - I honestly prefer it to the film. The pacing works beautifully in the show.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Knives Out:
It’s a film that I don’t think will ever get old, no matter how many times I know what’s coming. Looking at all the characters’  reactions throughout the movie on repeat viewings makes it even more interesting and funny.
I really hope they do a 2nd, as I think Craig is so, so good in that role.  

Rian Johnson is writing the sequel at the moment and Craig and the studio are signed off on it (it was a huge hit and had a modest budget) so we definitely will get a 2nd.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Herne's Son said:

5? Which one of the many spin offs are you considering part of the main series?

Ip Man 1, 2, 3, Master Z, 4 

12 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Coming 2 America. It looks like they only had 3 sets to film in. Some of the green screen work was shocking as well. As a piece of nostalgia I guess it works. But it’s not half as funny as the first film. Not the worst comedy sequel but could have been better

I loved it. The plot wasn't even important to me as I was all in on all the nostalgia moments, and it was great to see so many of the original characters in it .As an 80s kid, I loved the music call backs too. 

The director also did Dolemite Is My Name, and I know that's been praised on here so I'll be watching that tonight.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Murtz said:

Ip Man 1, 2, 3, Master Z, 4 

I loved it. The plot wasn't even important to me as I was all in on all the nostalgia moments, and it was great to see so many of the original characters in it .As an 80s kid, I loved the music call backs too. 

The director also did Dolemite Is My Name, and I know that's been praised on here so I'll be watching that tonight.

It’s literally memberry the movie with 

Spoiler

The prime of Zamunda being raped to bare a son

But with less jokes. I went in hoping for some laugh out loud moments, got one or 2 small ones. You’re better off rewatching the first. Even the first gag about burgers is about 10 years out of date now. Disappointing me  more more as I think about it.