VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Coming 2 America. It looks like they only had 3 sets to film in. Some of the green screen work was shocking as well. As a piece of nostalgia I guess it works. But it’s not half as funny as the first film. Not the worst comedy sequel but could have been better

Quatermass And The Pit. 

Dusted off that lovely Hammer box set that was released ages back and finally got around to watching this movie for the first time. 

Despite obviously being pretty dated I really enjoyed it, especially the final stretch.

Nice little blend of science fiction and horror. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Quatermass And The Pit. 

Dusted off that lovely Hammer box set that was released ages back and finally got around to watching this movie for the first time. 

Despite obviously being pretty dated I really enjoyed it, especially the final stretch.

Nice little blend of science fiction and horror. 

If you can find it (it's on DailyMotion), it's worth checking out the original TV series starring Andre Morrell too - I honestly prefer it to the film. The pacing works beautifully in the show.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Knives Out:
It’s a film that I don’t think will ever get old, no matter how many times I know what’s coming. Looking at all the characters’  reactions throughout the movie on repeat viewings makes it even more interesting and funny.
I really hope they do a 2nd, as I think Craig is so, so good in that role.  

Rian Johnson is writing the sequel at the moment and Craig and the studio are signed off on it (it was a huge hit and had a modest budget) so we definitely will get a 2nd.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Herne's Son said:

5? Which one of the many spin offs are you considering part of the main series?

Ip Man 1, 2, 3, Master Z, 4 

12 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Coming 2 America. It looks like they only had 3 sets to film in. Some of the green screen work was shocking as well. As a piece of nostalgia I guess it works. But it’s not half as funny as the first film. Not the worst comedy sequel but could have been better

I loved it. The plot wasn't even important to me as I was all in on all the nostalgia moments, and it was great to see so many of the original characters in it .As an 80s kid, I loved the music call backs too. 

The director also did Dolemite Is My Name, and I know that's been praised on here so I'll be watching that tonight.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Murtz said:

Ip Man 1, 2, 3, Master Z, 4 

I loved it. The plot wasn't even important to me as I was all in on all the nostalgia moments, and it was great to see so many of the original characters in it .As an 80s kid, I loved the music call backs too. 

The director also did Dolemite Is My Name, and I know that's been praised on here so I'll be watching that tonight.

It’s literally memberry the movie with 

Spoiler

The prime of Zamunda being raped to bare a son

But with less jokes. I went in hoping for some laugh out loud moments, got one or 2 small ones. You’re better off rewatching the first. Even the first gag about burgers is about 10 years out of date now. Disappointing me  more more as I think about it.

• Paid Members

During lockdown, I've been trying to watch one film per day (and usually do most days). Here's what I've seen in the past week.

Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar - this has been getting strong reviews so I had high hopes. Sadly it was very, very bad and spectacularly unfunny. Wasn't quite as bad as the latest Ghostbusters or Spy (my two most hated comedies) but it came quite close. I really like Kristen Wiig as a dramatic actress (she's fantastic in The Skeleton Twins) but I can't say I've ever enjoyed her as a lead in a comedy film.

Crawl - Barry Pepper and his daughter get stuck in their basement during a massive storm but it turns out there's man eating alligators down there with them. This movie is insanely fun. The type of film I'd probably make if someone gave me $50m. If this has come out when I was a kid me and my brothers would have watched it repeatedly like we did with Tremors. Highly recommend.

Hunter Hunter - low budget but extremely well made horror about a family living alone in the woods being terrorized by a local wolf. I liked the first half but the film changes up quite a bit in the second half and I didn't really get along with it. The ending is horrifically grim and brutal.

We Need To Talk About Kevin - absolutely loved this. It's not classed as a horror but I can't think of many films that have scared me more. Genuinely disturbing. Tilda Swinton is incredible in this, just the human embodiment of pain, loneliness, grief and hate. One of the best films I've seen in lockdown (and I've watched a lot of films in lockdown).

Bend It Like Beckham - amazingly I have never seen this till now. It was...ok. Very dated. The guy who plays the coach and the whole love interest storyline is fucking creepy, would definitely not pass in a film these days (and rightfully so) and the actor plays it as if his character is a gas lighting rapist. There's far too much story that goes nowhere, the plot is a shambles with basically the same thing happening over and over again and it's not really as heart warming as it should be...but the whole thing moves along at a zippy pace and most the actors are having fun with it so it somehow just about works. 

Judas And The Black Messiah - this was great. I've been reading quite a lot about Black history in the US over the past year so I was unsurprised I enjoyed this so much. All the performances are fantastic and it's an incredible story. Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield will hopefully clean up at the awards for this.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - again, really liked this. I didn't really like Black Panther (super hero stuff bores me) and hadn't seen Chadwick Boseman in anything else at this point. He blew me away in this film though. All the cast were great here. As it was based on a stage play it sometimes feels a bit like you're watching a televised play which might put some people off but as I really miss going to the theatre I think that actually made me enjoy it more.

• Paid Members

I've probably talked this up in this thread before, but I rewatched Bone Tomahawk for the first time in years last night.

It holds up on repeat viewing, what a fucking film. The Old West setting feels utterly convincing, and it has an early Tarantino feel to some of the dialogue, in that the vast majority of it does little if anything to further the plot, but adds so much to the mood and to fleshing out the characters. Richard Jenkins as Chicory, in particular, is fantastic as a hopelessly out of his depth old fella with a heart of gold, and the source of most of that incidental dialogue - he has a soliloquy about going to watch a flea circus that shouldn't work, but is absolutely heartbreaking stuff. There's not a bad performance in the whole film, though.

It's also gruesomely, horrifically violent, but never really feels gratuitous with it - every grisly moment feels earned, and necessary to the plot, even if one moment in particular made both my other half and I turn away from the screen. All the blood and gore and injuries could have made it a thoroughly unpleasant watch, but the characters are so compelling and/or likeable that they make it work. You also find out the bare minimum about the villains, so it reflects the horror and disbelief of the main characters, and even by the end leaves you wondering exactly what's going on with them. It's like a Wild West Hills Have Eyes, and I love it.

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can't wait to see what S. Craig Zahler does next - Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell Block 99 and Dragged Across Concrete is some triple.

Literally just come from IMDB to see what he was doing next.

I think of the three Bone Tomahawk is my favourite but he’s such an exciting film maker for me. Brawl is absolutely brutal and I might not ever watch it again but I’m glad I did. The three films all have a distinct style but are all different, the Tarantino comparison is apt in so much as that he tackles the different genres whilst leaving his footprints all over them. 

As for Matthew Fox, I’m not sure if I’m conflating his character in Lost for his acting abilities but I’m not the biggest fan but he is really good in Bone Tomahawk. I’d definitely give him a bit more of my time off the back of that.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can't wait to see what S. Craig Zahler does next - Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell Block 99 and Dragged Across Concrete is some triple.

I actually haven't watched either of his other movies! I did read his two western novels, though - they're much the same balance of bleak and charming that Bone Tomahawk is, and I think he does such a great job within the western genre that I've almost been reluctant to check out anything else he's done because I find him so well suited to that genre that I can barely picture him do anything else. I will have to check the other films out, though.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

As for Matthew Fox, I’m not sure if I’m conflating his character in Lost for his acting abilities but I’m not the biggest fan but he is really good in Bone Tomahawk. I’d definitely give him a bit more of my time off the back of that.

Possibly. I'm rewatching Lost season 1 on Disney Plus and he's genuinely great in it but I remember his character wound people up as the show went on but I think you'd have to blame the writers rather than the actor because he's really fucking good in it.

Edited by LaGoosh