VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Stage Fright is my favourite Giallo. Absolute masterpiece of slasher cinema. I have a slight fear of Owl's generally and the killer creeps the hell out of me. It's not only genuinely scary but deliriously fun. 

Not a really a fan of Cemetery Man myself but The Church is a really good watch.

• Paid Members

Watched Palm Springs with the wife last night. I thought it was a decent enough film, I enjoyed the leads and found the story enjoyable, though not a patch on its obvious influences.

On the other hand the wife said its one of her favourite films now, and I'm in the good books for suggesting trying it.

I've watched a couple more rodeo cowboy films of late. A lovely little sub-genre that has unheralded some gems. 

The best of the bunch was probably The Lusty Men, a Nicholas Ray film I'd never heard of, starring Robert Mitchum and Susan Hayward. They're both great and the film feels a bit ahead of its time in the way that it is shot and the material approached. It's great drama but never tips over into melodrama. 

Strongly recommend.

7 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Summer Camp Nightmare (1987) (YouTube)

Counselors in Training take a dislike to the new Camp Director and revolt to take over the running of things themselves. Very Lord of the Flies. Also goes to some very dark and unexpected places (murder, rape, a lynching). Good film and more thriller than the horror I had anticipated.

Watched this one in my teens (was titled The Butterfly Revolution over here I believe) and it's a bit of hidden gem. 

Like a lot of late 80's stuff a bit ropey at times but definitely worth at least one watch. 

Not seen any of those on Magnums list ( as far as I can remember )  but reminds me of some of the shite I used to rent from the video man on a Thursday out the boot of his car. I did catch a lot of gems like Killer Klowns From Outer Space which I've only seen that once but think I'll give Stagefright a go when I jump in bed if my film app pops a link up

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Not seen any of those on Magnums list ( as far as I can remember )  but reminds me of some of the shite I used to rent from the video man on a Thursday out the boot of his car. I did catch a lot of gems like Killer Klowns From Outer Space which I've only seen that once but think I'll give Stagefright a go when I jump in bed if my film app pops a link up

It's on YouTube:-

Talking about horror film and film rental cars I've just been on a search of a film I remember renting a couple of times. All I could remember was it involved clowns, maybe some sort of fair close by and  a lot happening in a house

Ended coming up with Clownhouse and after watching a terrible quality trailer I think that may be it, I'm guessing it's probably not worth going back and visiting it?

16 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Talking about horror film and film rental cars I've just been on a search of a film I remember renting a couple of times. All I could remember was it involved clowns, maybe some sort of fair close by and  a lot happening in a house

Ended coming up with Clownhouse and after watching a terrible quality trailer I think that may be it, I'm guessing it's probably not worth going back and visiting it?

Directer Victor Slava nonced one of the kids on it, got done and still managed to have a half decent career. Must be great being a bloke in Hollywood. It was on Netflix not sure if it still is.

4 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Directer Victor Slava nonced one of the kids on it, got done and still managed to have a half decent career. Must be great being a bloke in Hollywood. It was on Netflix not sure if it still is.

Was just about to say another film ruined like Jeepers Creepers before I done a search and its the same guy ( not that JC is a favourite but I liked it when it came out )

• Paid Members

I Blame Society

Promising Young Woman-adjacent black comedy feminist thriller, but not even slightly good in any way, really. Has a lot to say, and none of it is wrong, but it's packaged in complete boredom.

Thank You For Smoking

Struck me that I'd only ever seen one Jason Reitman film (Young Adult, and it was shit) so I did a double-bill. The advantage is this one wasn't written by Diablo Cody, who is terrible, and it's a really sharp satire with a brilliant cast. Very centrist dad at times and Dennis Miller can fuck off, but challenging and funny.

Up in the Air

Really just a basic romcom that dresses itself up as wanting to say something serious about corporate downsizing, but it doesn't really. I probably would have turned it off but for Anna Kendrick and Vera Farmiga. Passable, but no more.

Circle of Deception (Talking Pictures TV)

Terrific WW2-set psychological thriller about a British spy who's been unwittingly been fed false information that British intelligence hope the Nazis will beat out of poor Bradford Dillman. Shame about the ending, but this was a typical TPTV unknown gem.

• Paid Members

The Mitchell’s vs The Machines (Netflix)

Probably the best animated film since Spiderverse which is no coincidence since it’s another Lord/Miller produced animated film for Sony but with writers of Gravity Falls as well. Really enjoyable and both adults and children loved it in our house.

• Paid Members

^ Fucking hell, I feel like every film I saw the trailer for before the cinemas shut has ended up on Netflix. Was looking forward to taking my daughter to see that.

The Mitchells vs The Machines is fantastic, been low key hyped for it since the debut trailers last year so very glad it didn’t disappoint. Didn’t realise it had moved to Netflix so it was a pleasant surprise seeing it pop up yesterday. Shame not to experience it in a cinema but very much came to terms with that a while ago. 

Feels very much like a Lord and Miller film, even though they were only producers. Almost a refined mesh of some of the best elements of their previous projects Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs, Lego movie and Spider-verse.

Sony Animation is right at the peak of their game right now, hoping Corridor Digital do a breakdown of the VFX at some point on their channel like they did with Spider-verse.

Olivia Colman’s rise to national treasure status has to be near complete now surely?

on a side note, Mortal Kombat was also a delight. Kano steals the show but it was a very easy enjoyable watch.