VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

I've been watching a lot of crime films. More so than usual. The first couple of these I'm convinced would be of particular interest to @Scott Malbranque

The Burglars (ok.ru)

I mentioned the car chase in another thread the other day but the rest of it is pretty great too. Features Jean-Paul Belmondo doing one of the most unnecessarily dangerous stunts of all time, but the story's great and it's loads of fun.

The Brain (1969)

The humour in this is VERY French, so it will sink or swim depending on if you can tolerate that. More mental stunts from Belmondo, David Niven argues with his pet panther, and Eli Wallach has problems with swimming pool infllatables. Really, really stupid but I loved it.

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

Faye Dunaway wanking off a chess piece is really the interesting thing about this and we've all seen that scene already, right lads? Even Steve McQueen looks bored.

The Last Mile (1959) (ok.ru)

Mickey Rooney's always going to be best known for his comedy work but in the 50s he did a clutch of noirs and dramas where he excelled - but this is his very best. Turns this Death Row psychological drama into a great thriller in its second half, playing a completely unrepentant bastard. Brilliant.

Shifty 

Be interested to know what fellow Daniel Mays despiser @Astro Hollywood made of this. By his standards, Mays is quite good in this although hugely outshone by Riz Ahmed, obviously. Pretty good film, this, a nice change from the usual British crime stuff.

The Accused (1949) (ok.ru)

Fantastic thriller with uni lecturer Loretta Young trying to evade being found out for killing the student who sexually assaulted her. Builds tension so well and has a surprising ending, too. 

• Paid Members

15 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've been watching a lot of crime films. More so than usual. The first couple of these I'm convinced would be of particular interest to @Scott Malbranque

The Burglars (ok.ru)

The Brain (1969)

Lovely! I've never even heard of either of those flicks, D-Mal, so that's my Bank Holiday Monday here sorted.

Prime Cut is something I've been meaning to watch for ages, after watching a bit of it on TCM late one night many moons ago. I really liked it, mostly because of the performances of Lee Marvin, Gene Hackman and Sissy Spacek. It's also only around 85 minutes, so it zips by. 

I also really enjoyed Dying Room Only, an efficient 75-minute made-for-TV film from the 70's about a couple who stop off at a diner in a small Arizona town, only for the wife to return from the bathroom with her husband missing. It has a really menacing air and is very simply but very effective. Reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode or something. Good cast, too. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Prime Cut is something I've been meaning to watch for ages, after watching a bit of it on TCM late one night many moons ago. I really liked it, mostly because of the performances of Lee Marvin, Gene Hackman and Sissy Spacek. It's also only around 85 minutes, so it zips by. 

Prime Cut is a cult UKFF fave. Love that film.

22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Prime Cut is a cult UKFF fave. Love that film.

I'm really glad I went back and watched it. The moment where the Hackman and Marvin characters first interact, with all the underlying tension, convinced me it was going to be great. 

• Paid Members
On 6/2/2021 at 12:43 PM, Astro Hollywood said:

Spiral the film is worse than Spiral the rapper from Big Brother 7. I thought it was meant to be a good, smart version of the Saw films, with Chris Rock instead of people you've never heard of, but instead, it's a worse, dumber version. Amazing really. Plot holes everywhere, and a fucking clunker of a script, filled with "you have got to be kidding me!" lines you've heard 1000 times before. Hard avoid.

Saw has always been shit, but a good few of them had big "OH!" moments that I'd feel stupid for reacting to and/or not seeing them coming. This was predictable trash the whole way through. You know you've fucked up big time when people are saying it "doesn't even feel like a Saw film" and it's for the worse.

It's just a really, really shit Seven.

Saw has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, and when I first heard that Chris Rock was involved in making one in whatever year it was announced I thought it was an April Fools joke.

Spiral is probably the most well made the series will ever look, Rock and Samuel L Jackson’s involvement seemingly convincing someone to allow for an upswing in budget, but that’s about all it’s got going for it. The first victim starts off looking like The Man From Del Monte and it takes Samuel L Jackson 36minutes to say motherfucker. 
The ending, whilst being massively predictable thanks to the series’ own “stick with it, there’s a huge twist at the end” trope, was ultra rushed and flat as anything.

At least Darren Lynn Bousman seems to gotten over his need to include multiple “pretentious film school prick” scene transitions though

Edited by WyattSheepMask

has anyone watched The Kid Detective yet? just watched it tonight and i don't know what to make of it i enjoyed but, going by reviews & especially ratings on letterboxd i didnt enjoy it has much as the majority.

To be honest, i didn't really know what to make of it, i think am going to have to watch it again in the not too distant future for another take on it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DarloKid said:

has anyone watched The Kid Detective yet? just watched it tonight and i don't know what to make of it i enjoyed but, going by reviews & especially ratings on letterboxd i didnt enjoy it has much as the majority.

To be honest, i didn't really know what to make of it, i think am going to have to watch it again in the not too distant future for another take on it.

This was more or less my reaction to it. It tries to be both a comedy and a serious detective film and the two don't mix at all. If it had chosen to be one thing or the other, it might have been great. Brick does this sort of thing far better.

On 6/5/2021 at 9:02 PM, DarloKid said:

Think I mentioned earlier in this or another thread that I really liked it. Unlike @Devon Malcolm I feel it got the tone just right.

It also has one of my favourite end scenes in a long, long time.

I will say that I probably enjoyed it more because I think Adam Brody has been criminally underrated. Good to see the last few years him picking up some really good roles.

All via nefarious means unless noted.

Ninja Turf (1985) (YouTube)

A bunch of students moonlight doing security work and get in lots of fights. I say students, but the lead looks every bit of 35 or more with his creased brow (turns out he is 40!). The fight scenes are the best thing about this by far, certainly not the acting or script.

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Three amateur criminals set out to rob a bank, only things don’t quite go to plan. Starts out pure farce with one thing after another going wrong for the gang, but the situation quickly escalates, all playing out in front of TV cameras and a live crowd. Excellent film. Al Pacino is outstanding here.

Fatal Games (1984) (YouTube)

Members of an elite Sports Academy who are preparing for the Nationals are killed by an ace javelin thrower. Plenty of nudity here, while there is also a secondary story about the athletes being given steroids, although that's not really explored heavily.  Very similar to Graduation Day, especially the opening montage and the team photo with the members crossed off once they've been killed.  An okay slasher, one where I didn't pick the killer.

Talk Radio (1988)

A controversial late night Dallas radio talk show host starts to fall apart just as his show is about to go national. An extraordinary performance from Eric Bogosian as Barry Champlain, the shock jock, and I’m surprised this never catapulted his career more. A pretty shocking finale.

Gerald’s Game (2017)

Psychological horror. A couple take a trip to a remote retreat to save their marriage, however the husband suffers a heart attack and dies leaving his wife handcuffed to the bed. I liked the idea but felt it went too long for what it was. I'm usually not squeamish, but there was a certain scene which I couldn't watch and had to turn away from.

The Breakfast Club (1985)

Five students from different backgrounds and school cliques spend Saturday in detention and realize that they’re not that different from one another after all.  The quintessential brat pack movie.

• Paid Members

Nobody (cinema)

I managed to stick it out and wait for it at the cinema and it was well worth it. Falls into the trap of too many recent Hollywood films with its ending too geared towards establishing a sequel and the post-credits scene is not good too. Everything else, though? Absolutely. Odenkirk is an absolute blast and the action is facemelting stuff. Some good humour and style, delivers exactly what I hoped and expected.

A Quiet Place Part II (cinema)

Very good indeed. An improvement over a good original that was lethargic and obvious in places, this one focuses its attention more on the kids and develops them superbly. Hits a couple of predictable notes, but the start and ending are fantastic. Millicent Simmonds is brilliant.

Caliber 9 (ok.ru)

Another recommendation for @Scott Malbranque but he's far more versed on poliziotesschi than I am so I assume he's seen this one. Almost my favourite of the genre that I've seen to date, bruisingly violent with a top quality story. Brilliant ending too.

It Always Rains on Sunday (Talking Pictures TV)

Another TPTV favourite, and a great mix of kitchen sink drama with crime flick. Fantastic cast, an underrated gem of British crime cinema.

Copycat 

Typical 90s crime thriller, simultaneously completely stupid but really entertaining. I wish they still made these sorts of things these days.

Peter Rabbit 2 (cinema)

When even the kids aren't laughing, you know it's REALLY bad. Not sure we can blame this entirely on Corden either. Somebody rescue Rose Byrne.

Tom and Jerry (cinema)

See above. Rob Delaney and Chloe Moretz innocent.