VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

has anyone watched The Kid Detective yet? just watched it tonight and i don't know what to make of it i enjoyed but, going by reviews & especially ratings on letterboxd i didnt enjoy it has much as the majority.

To be honest, i didn't really know what to make of it, i think am going to have to watch it again in the not too distant future for another take on it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DarloKid said:

has anyone watched The Kid Detective yet? just watched it tonight and i don't know what to make of it i enjoyed but, going by reviews & especially ratings on letterboxd i didnt enjoy it has much as the majority.

To be honest, i didn't really know what to make of it, i think am going to have to watch it again in the not too distant future for another take on it.

This was more or less my reaction to it. It tries to be both a comedy and a serious detective film and the two don't mix at all. If it had chosen to be one thing or the other, it might have been great. Brick does this sort of thing far better.

On 6/5/2021 at 9:02 PM, DarloKid said:

Think I mentioned earlier in this or another thread that I really liked it. Unlike @Devon Malcolm I feel it got the tone just right.

It also has one of my favourite end scenes in a long, long time.

I will say that I probably enjoyed it more because I think Adam Brody has been criminally underrated. Good to see the last few years him picking up some really good roles.

All via nefarious means unless noted.

Ninja Turf (1985) (YouTube)

A bunch of students moonlight doing security work and get in lots of fights. I say students, but the lead looks every bit of 35 or more with his creased brow (turns out he is 40!). The fight scenes are the best thing about this by far, certainly not the acting or script.

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Three amateur criminals set out to rob a bank, only things don’t quite go to plan. Starts out pure farce with one thing after another going wrong for the gang, but the situation quickly escalates, all playing out in front of TV cameras and a live crowd. Excellent film. Al Pacino is outstanding here.

Fatal Games (1984) (YouTube)

Members of an elite Sports Academy who are preparing for the Nationals are killed by an ace javelin thrower. Plenty of nudity here, while there is also a secondary story about the athletes being given steroids, although that's not really explored heavily.  Very similar to Graduation Day, especially the opening montage and the team photo with the members crossed off once they've been killed.  An okay slasher, one where I didn't pick the killer.

Talk Radio (1988)

A controversial late night Dallas radio talk show host starts to fall apart just as his show is about to go national. An extraordinary performance from Eric Bogosian as Barry Champlain, the shock jock, and I’m surprised this never catapulted his career more. A pretty shocking finale.

Gerald’s Game (2017)

Psychological horror. A couple take a trip to a remote retreat to save their marriage, however the husband suffers a heart attack and dies leaving his wife handcuffed to the bed. I liked the idea but felt it went too long for what it was. I'm usually not squeamish, but there was a certain scene which I couldn't watch and had to turn away from.

The Breakfast Club (1985)

Five students from different backgrounds and school cliques spend Saturday in detention and realize that they’re not that different from one another after all.  The quintessential brat pack movie.

• Paid Members

Nobody (cinema)

I managed to stick it out and wait for it at the cinema and it was well worth it. Falls into the trap of too many recent Hollywood films with its ending too geared towards establishing a sequel and the post-credits scene is not good too. Everything else, though? Absolutely. Odenkirk is an absolute blast and the action is facemelting stuff. Some good humour and style, delivers exactly what I hoped and expected.

A Quiet Place Part II (cinema)

Very good indeed. An improvement over a good original that was lethargic and obvious in places, this one focuses its attention more on the kids and develops them superbly. Hits a couple of predictable notes, but the start and ending are fantastic. Millicent Simmonds is brilliant.

Caliber 9 (ok.ru)

Another recommendation for @Scott Malbranque but he's far more versed on poliziotesschi than I am so I assume he's seen this one. Almost my favourite of the genre that I've seen to date, bruisingly violent with a top quality story. Brilliant ending too.

It Always Rains on Sunday (Talking Pictures TV)

Another TPTV favourite, and a great mix of kitchen sink drama with crime flick. Fantastic cast, an underrated gem of British crime cinema.

Copycat 

Typical 90s crime thriller, simultaneously completely stupid but really entertaining. I wish they still made these sorts of things these days.

Peter Rabbit 2 (cinema)

When even the kids aren't laughing, you know it's REALLY bad. Not sure we can blame this entirely on Corden either. Somebody rescue Rose Byrne.

Tom and Jerry (cinema)

See above. Rob Delaney and Chloe Moretz innocent.

8 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

The Breakfast Club (1985)

Five students from different backgrounds and school cliques spend Saturday in detention and realize that they’re not that different from one another after all.  The quintessential brat pack movie.

I've said it before but my absolute favourite moment in the film is Andy getting hyped and really energetic from smoking a spliff. The exact opposite of what it would do.

What was in it, coke? 

• Paid Members

Spiral.  Fuck me, this was poor. Worked out the “twist” 15 minutes in and hoped I was wrong.  I wasn’t.  Chris Rocks screaming was very funny though.

Xtro.  Last saw this in the heyday of the Video Nasty craze.  Crazy as fuck take on ET and The Thing.  Some great effects for the time, makes very little sense but much more fun than the other pile of shit.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:46 AM, Magnum Milano said:

Al Pacino is outstanding here.

The double act with the wonderful John Cazale is one of my favourite cinematic pairings. “Wyoming” still creases me up. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Xtro.  Last saw this in the heyday of the Video Nasty craze.  Crazy as fuck take on ET and The Thing.  Some great effects for the time, makes very little sense but much more fun than the other pile of shit.

Only British film on the "Video Nasties" original list. It is a bit crazy. Some brilliant gooey effects as you said.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought it wasn’t on the original list but was added later?

Yep. It's on the section 3 list which means it wasn't up for obscenity prosecution charges but was subject to seizure.

I've not seen Xtro yet. It looks like a good laugh.

• Paid Members

There was a cracking video shop on Hollyhedge road in Wythenshawe that had all the nasties plus a great smut shelf.  Where it lay, they could see the vans coming up the road, so had time to hide them wherever there was a raid!