Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Isolation is finished for me. App deleted. I test myself 3 times a week for work anyway. May seem a harsh statement but i’m surprised anyone is sticking to it. Use common sense, test yourself and stick to the original requests like wash your hands, wear a mask and use common sense. 

I may be being thick, but why is the school bubble rules changing when they all split up for the Summer on Friday?

My workplace, already struggling to staff branches, has decided that we're to get rid of all Covid restrictions (except senior managers working from home oddly). Not even allowed to say "masks are encouraged."

Some businesses deserve all the pings they're going to get. Fuck 'em. 

• Awards Moderator
14 minutes ago, Vamp said:

My workplace, already struggling to staff branches, has decided that we're to get rid of all Covid restrictions (except senior managers working from home oddly). Not even allowed to say "masks are encouraged."

Some businesses deserve all the pings they're going to get. Fuck 'em. 

Ugh. Sorry about that. We’re managing to get away with “masks are encouraged” but I’m waiting for the day those above me inevitably decide we can’t do that. They already want to cram in twice as many people as is safe. Not looking forward to tomorrow.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Thank you. I hope you can stay as safe as possible. 

To be honest it's on me for not finding a new job at this stage. It came out the other day that over 95% of surveyed staff think there's a problem with bullying in the department, mostly from senior managers who were handpicked for promotion, so it's pretty clear it's fucked and beyond fixing. 

• Paid Members

While I understand the frustration, it's mad that people are blaming the app for getting "too many pings", and not seeing that as an indication that Covid is still fucking rife.

I can't really blame people deleting the app when isolation prevents them from working and after today there will be less and less support for people have to isolate, though. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the Tories start charging us for the take home tests.

I'm starting to think that they knew when they delayed that there would be a spike post-Euros, and are hoping that it would be followed by a gradual decline as those people recover.

14 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

A bit of a callous question but what kind of numbers in terms of new cases, ICU occupancy and number of deaths are “manageable” for this week and for the next few weeks ?  

It's an ever moving number. My wife works for the NHS (on the data side) and while they have a rough idea of numbers, the isolation stuff is really throwing them at the moment. At any point you could lose however many staff and become completely snowed under when before it was okay. Its a logistical nightmare really because you're constantly trying to prepare for the worst case scenario but never really being sure what it could be or when it'll hit. I don't envy them at all.

• Paid Members

My girlfriend got a ping the other day which was confusing as she hasn't left the house for a week. I didn't get one and I leave the house to work in central London every single day. While it's important that people isolate I definitely don't trust that this app is working properly.

• Paid Members

My wife works at Caffe Nero and when she got pinged she was informed by her manager that the app was 'advisory' so she should ignore it - then she got a call from Test & Trace and her manager told her to call them back and tell them that she has PPE at work so should be allowed to leave the flat to do her job. Now she's back at work she's been told she should delete the app, so I have a lot of faith that retail is going to go well over the next few weeks.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

My wife works at Caffe Nero and when she got pinged she was informed by her manager that the app was 'advisory' so she should ignore it - then she got a call from Test & Trace and her manager told her to call them back and tell them that she has PPE at work so should be allowed to leave the flat to do her job. Now she's back at work she's been told she should delete the app, so I have a lot of faith that retail is going to go well over the next few weeks.

My understanding is that your wife's boss is right on the first point (the app notification is advisory)- however if Test & Trace contact you then you must isolate by law. Your wife's boss is putting your wife in a very dangerous predicament by insisting she continues to work.