Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
On 6/24/2021 at 1:08 PM, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Four children across three year bubbles have tested positive at my son's school.

This does not bode well (and not just for Corbyn).

So the current score is six bubbles in isolation.

This morning there were seven people wearing masks, not including staff or myself.

Five men, two women (both of which were Chinese, to which I wonder if this was influenced by the wearing of masks in cities like HK and Tokyo). 

Tokyo isn’t in China you massive worse than Hitler racist!!!  But yeah it probably is, I’ve known people from east Asia wear a mask because they had a slight cold and didn’t want to pass it on to anyone else. 

• Paid Members

I think it's really unlikely that the people motivated to protest based on insane conspiracy theories are motivated by actual lockdown-related scandals, it's far more likely that they've come from an existing network of conspiracy theory beliefs and slotted lockdown/Covid-19 into their worldview - hence why so many of them are obsessed with 5G, child trafficking and anti-vaxx nonsense, rather than actual government corruption. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

But yeah it probably is, I’ve known people from east Asia wear a mask because they had a slight cold and didn’t want to pass it on to anyone else. 

I have noticed it in London for years and assumed it was due to pollution, what with them being used to the ridiculously high level of pollution you have in the major cities in east Asia.

8 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

As I said in a much earlier post, if you’re one to follow conspiracies, there’s always the risk the conspiracy you believe in turns out to be true. Then what? The fun, excitement and chase of something is over. So if you believe in one ridiculous theory, there’s a good chance you’ll believe in many others.

Yeah. A lad I know is well down the rabbit hole to the point that it’s now a huge part of his identity. He has mates who seem to hang on his words. I got fed up and replied to his latest cack. Long and short of it was I asked loads of questions, got no answers, got a few “Woke” and “You can’t wake up those in a deep sleep” and sense of superiority because they are not blind. I think I upset him though when I mentioned how he voted Tory in the past. 

Funnily enough he is a fathers for justice man and spends time in Bournemouth to see his son after the child’s mum moved city and got a restraining order against him. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time until he is appointed to the council. 

Well it's been a chaotic few days. My younger daughter was sent home from school after there was a positive test in her year. Someone else in her year then tested positive after being sent home, so she took a lateral flow test. 

Yup! Positive!

Cue all of us isolating, which doesn't really alter much for my wife and I, but is mighty frustrating for the kids. My daughter is asymptomatic too so she found it hard to understand why she has to stay in. 

We joined the scheme where you take a test every day and submit the results whilst isolating,  and a few days later my wife tested positive. Now I have too a week later from it starting. 

So glad I've had both doses of the vaccine as I feel fairly shit, but I'm sure I would be a lot, lot worse without it. 

I work from home currently and I'm shocked at how many of my colleagues didn't know the vaccine doesn't stop you catching Covid. I'm sick of explaining how it all works. Brexit levels of ignorance and misinformation all round. 

So far my 13 year old daughter and 18 month old son are Covid free. Administering lateral flow tests to him and his reaction breaks my heart every time. 

• Paid Members
On 7/20/2021 at 12:18 PM, PunkStep said:

I have noticed it in London for years and assumed it was due to pollution, what with them being used to the ridiculously high level of pollution you have in the major cities in east Asia.

Yeh, in the early months of my time there I thought it was to do with pollution until some friends explained to me what it really was. There's a sense of civic responsibility that's cultivated in most Japanese culturally from a young age. I remember, as part of my foreign exchange programme in Osaka, visiting a primary school to see what classes are like for kids there, and one of the most notable things was that, at the end of the school day, all the kids are expected to help tidy and clean the classroom, i.e. sweeping and mopping as well as cleaning board rubbers and putting stuff away. I know we sort of have a bit of that here, but it was really quite surprising how extensive it was there - the kids didn't even have to be told, they just jumped straight into it, treating it like a routine thing, chatting with their friends while they did it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

all the kids are expected to help tidy and clean the classroom

Yeah, Japanese football fans are notorious for cleaning up the stands at the end of matches too, so it's clearly from a young age. However I was more referring to Chinese rather than Japanese.

9 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Yeah, Japanese football fans are notorious for cleaning up the stands at the end of matches too, so it's clearly from a young age. However I was more referring to Chinese rather than Japanese.

The Chinese (and Japanese). A great bunch of tidy lads.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Yeh, a big factor is the very Confucian ethos present in East Asian countries - Koreans also have that strong influence. There's a very heavy emphasis on a person having various relationships of duty in life, towards parents, society, one's country, one's sovereign, etc.

Speak of East Asian countries....hello.

Thought I'd wade in today as had my first AstraZeneca jab. Luckily my university managed to organize vaccinations for all staff so i've managed to jump a very very big queue in Vietnam with the situation deteriorating (after a wonderfully open 2020). We are now in a serious lockdown and will get on the spot fined if we go out for anything but food/ medicine/ hospital visits. If you're in an area with a patient it's locked down for 2-3 weeks. My parents-in-law have literally been barricaded into their small street by barbed wire and police. They're ok as they are fairly wealthy but you've got some people living in one room apartments as big as your typical en-suite bathroom who have almost nothing to eat because they live day by day. Cases are actually still minor compared to many places but the city is certainly tense right now. 

As for the vaccination generally felt fine until I needed a UKFF worthy vacate of my bowels about an hour ago (right in the middle of teaching an online class) which felt like I'd been given an enema to induce it but otherwise feeling fine.  

In an update, late afternoon it started to flatten me. Felt absolutely bizzare through the night and now have a splitting headache. 

Edited by simonworden