Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, scratchdj said:

It gives me great pleasure to announce that the partner of my wife's friend, who has spent the past 3 years posting 2,000-word essays on Facebook about how Brexit/UKIP/Farage/Tommy Robinson are all great, and how COVID is nothing to worry about, facemasks are wrong and the vaccine is a load of bollocks, has just been denied his holiday and he's tested positive for COVID.

To be more serious, he's showing no symptoms and is fine, but it made my day when I read it.

I had something similar with a girl I used to go to school with on Facebook.

In complete denial about Covid and that it was all a hoax and everyone was a puppet for following government advise.

Her dad caught it and unfortunately passed away. The about turn has been incredible, all covid related posts prior to it have been deleted and the vaccine is now the greatest scientific breakthrough since penicillin. 

3 hours ago, ThommoLincs said:

penicillin

This reminds me that when I went for my first jab, the advisor asked me if I was allergic to anything and I answered "Penicillin and strawberries" and she deadpan looked me in the face and said "....there's no strawberries in the vaccine" which broke the ice and calmed me massively.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Slight tangent, but I always conflate my memory of finding out I was allergic to penicillin to the time I was sick from eating an undercooked findus crispy pancake. 

Undercooked, and way past its best before date…?

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

This reminds me that when I went for my first jab, the advisor asked me if I was allergic to anything and I answered "Penicillin and strawberries" and she deadpan looked me in the face and said "....there's no strawberries in the vaccine" which broke the ice and calmed me massively.

That is absolutely incredible!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, hallicks said:

Slight tangent, but I always conflate my memory of finding out I was allergic to penicillin to the time I was sick from eating an undercooked findus crispy pancake. 

If it was the cheese one, you deserved to get sick anyway

• Paid Members

I've picked it up, so I'm hoping the UKFF smart party can help. 

Looking after my mom I'm taking precautions to try and make sure she doesn't get it, but for how long after first infection am I infections to others?

I tried Google but it was just pages talking about "long covid" or telling me how long I've got to live, which are no help. 

@Tommy in theory 10 days but longer if your symptoms (coughing, sneezing etc) persist beyond 10 days.

Mr Deathrey got it last Tuesday, luckily he is double jabbed but still got pretty sick. He was free from his isolation today and luckily all his symptoms have cleared up as it's our wedding anniversary today.

On 8/19/2021 at 11:08 AM, scratchdj said:

It gives me great pleasure to announce that the partner of my wife's friend, who has spent the past 3 years posting 2,000-word essays on Facebook about how Brexit/UKIP/Farage/Tommy Robinson are all great, and how COVID is nothing to worry about, facemasks are wrong and the vaccine is a load of bollocks, has just been denied his holiday and he's tested positive for COVID.

To be more serious, he's showing no symptoms and is fine, but it made my day when I read it.

He isn’t the bloke from Right Said Fred, by any chance?

• Paid Members

Happy anniversary @deathrey

Most of my family and close friends are double jabbed now with a couple of exceptions. Still a bunch of people at work who are anti-vax and spouting conspiracy theories though. I just can’t be fucked with it anymore. Thick as mince and you can’t have a proper conversation about it without it getting silly. Masks stopped being mandatory at my work weeks ago but a few people have carried on wearing them, me included. The looks I’ve been getting and even had a couple of people trying to quiz me on why I’m still wearing a mask when it’s not mandatory/I’ve been vaccinated etc, like I have to explain myself. It’s baffling to me why they give a bollocks what I’m doing. I don’t go around grilling people who chose not to get the jab and I definitely don’t feel the need to justify why I did have it to some twat who gets all their ‘news’ off tinfoilers on Facebook. 

Aside from the obvious reasons for still wanting to be cautious, all I know is I haven’t been ill in well over a year now since we initially started wearing masks at work. At all. And I used to pick up every cold and bug going before the pandemic. For that reason alone, I’ll happily deal with the minor inconvenience of having a piece of fabric sitting over my nose and mouth for 8 hours a day. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Just been taking for granted all day that one of the people to leave Shed Seven was Rick Witter, and the old NME headline "You Can't Get Thicker Than A Shit Rick Witter" has been going around my head. Make sense there'd be other dunces in the band though, obviously. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

Just tested positive. I've gone all this time without a sniff of Covid, then test positive the week before I'm supposed to fly home to see my family for the first time in two years.

Classic.