Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

11 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Who needs a vaccine when you've got nunchuck skills like this?

My favourite bit is that he's sped the video up to make it look more impressive.

Just seen someone describe this as like the auditions they used to do at the end of Phoenix Nights and I can't stop laughing.

Started feeling unwell on Thursday. Spent all day in bed over the weekend and went for a PCR test on Monday. Tested positive. Not eaten since Friday (bowl of cereal) and can hardly drink due to the constant sore throat.  Covid is the real deal! I'm just glad I've had my two jabs otherwise who knows what would have happened to me.

• Paid Members

My house has been a nightmare. Son caught chicken pox, goes back to school, daughter gets it. He’s in school just over a week, positive lateral flow. Since last Friday, almost a day apart, all have tested positive after a PCR as well.

I had none of the “symptoms”. I have a cold like set of symptoms but none of the 3 they say is Covid. Closet is a bit of a cough (not continuous though) and dull taste/smell (due to bunged up nose). I was 3 weeks from my booster, which I won’t be having now. But I do put down to being double jabbed it’s not been worse for me or my wife. Kids are not jabbed at all, both also been fine with only mild symptoms.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Anyway, he’d gone very quiet for a few weeks and I discovered yesterday that he’s in intensive care on a ventilator having caught COVID again.

Blimey, that's terrifyingly fast, considering he only had it in August. Is it possible that he had it, and it never went away and slowly got worse?

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Blimey, that's terrifyingly fast, considering he only had it in August. Is it possible that he had it, and it never went away and slowly got worse?

Could also be he never had it? Every chance it was a false positive, especially if he had no symptoms. But I’ve also read mixed things about antibodies. I knew someone who had it twice in 5 months, mild both times mind, but still.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I know 3 people who have had COVID twice, each time they were quite unwell with it both times.  One chap caught the second time about 6 weeks after his second vaccine.

As much as the general guidelines are mostly forgotten noise now, it feels ever more that the basic advice is still the best defence (if of course it can be followed).

1. I think there is a real misunderstanding of what the vaccine does still. I was just discussing it with the wife (having to talk to each other again now as we are stuck indoors for another 8 days). My understanding is double or triple vaccined won't stop you getting it. Won't stop you passing it on. May stop you getting sick completely. May stop you getting seriously sick. But there is nothing stopping you getting it again, even natural anti-bodies. Is that right?  

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:
  1. I think there is a real misunderstanding of what the vaccine does still. I was just discussing it with the wife (having to talk to each other again now as we are stuck indoors for another 8 days). My understanding is double or triple vaccined won't stop you getting it. Won't stop you passing it on. May stop you getting sick completely. May stop you getting seriously sick. But there is nothing stopping you getting it again, even natural anti-bodies. Is that right?  

It makes all of those things less likely. The more serious the thing, the less likely it makes it.

To reuse an analogy I posted some time ago, think of the various stages of COVID (getting it, getting enough of it to transmit it to others, getting symptoms, going to hospital, going on a ventilator, dying) as like the rounds of the FA Cup. Think of an old, unhealthy person as Man City and a young healthy person as Barnsley. Either could win the cup (die), the chances are neither will, but the odds of Man City getting to each round are much higher. And on average, each time you get to the next round, you face tougher opposition and so your chances of progressing get smaller.

The vaccine is like starting every game two nil down. It makes it a little less likely you'll get to the fourth round. It makes it a lot less likely you'll get to the fifth round, partly because you're now more likely to lose in the fourth round, but partly because you're now less likely to get to the fourth round in the first place. Your odds of winning the cup depend on whether you are Man City or Barnsley, but in both cases the overall effect of the two-goal handicap mounts up further into the competition and it's now hugely less likely you'll get to the final and win.

Similarly, the vaccine makes it a bit less likely you'll get COVID. If you do get COVID, it's less likely to be enough to transmit. If it is symptomatic, it's less likely to need hospital treatment. And so on, to the point that it's now dramatically less likely you'll die.

When you see reports of a vaccinated person getting seriously ill or dying, think of it like reading a report of a non-league team knocking a Championship or Premiership side out of the cup. It's going to happen now and again, but the reason it gets attention is that it's unusual. 

Edited by JNLister

I realise that I shouldn't be expecting logically thought-out beliefs supported by a solid bedrock of factual evidence, but I had the misfortune to be engaged in conversation today by an anti-vax idiot while out shopping. After he starting prattling on about power grabs, I asked him that if the nameless people behind this supposed conspiracy already had enough power to control governments, media, doctors and scientists in every single country in the world, then what possible reason would they have to want to control him? He muttered something indistinct and disappeared very quickly.