Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

100% check your blood oxygen. That was the biggest thing that made us call me an ambulance. 

Totally agreed - you can get pulse oximeters online fairly cheaply, and it was one of the things that stopped us calling an ambulance.

I did, however, call 111. And I'd recommend doing the same. They'll help you figure out if this is within the expected breathing difficulty parameters (and don't get me wrong - they suck, and it's really scary), or if it's something you need to call an ambulance over.

My partner had Covid last week. The timing was actually helpful because she'd been working away from home for a week. I was at my mum's when she got home and had started to get a really bad headache and sore ears. We thought it was her flight home because she usually has ear issues but she went for a PCR and it was positive. Once we spoke to Test and Protect we decided it was easier for me not to come home and I just stayed at my mum's for the week with my son. Felt that was better than coming home, going for negative PCR (double jabbed) them hoping not to catch it.

I work in regulation and deal with outbreaks most days as part of my job. It's really apparent to me that with Delta the vast majority of folk seem to get cold like symptoms first and then one to three of the main symptoms appear later. We were really grateful for the vaccine as she only had a mild cold and lost her sense of taste and smell for a week, with taste still being a bit odd now. 

• 3 weeks later...

My work were being dodgy as fuck today.

I'm a primary school teacher and regularly take lateral flow tests for my work.

I've had a cold all week which I'm now sure has developed into a chest infection (I get a couple of chest infections every Autumn/Winter so generally know when I'm getting one) so phoned the Dr's at playtime to ask for some antibiotics. Dr asked if I've had a PCR test to rule out covid and that they won't give me antibiotics until I've had one so I'll need to get tested. Spoke to management at work explaining that Dr has said I need to get a PCR, management said that although I've been told to book one I should wait until after school finishes and book it then because "once you've booked it you need to isolate and we don't have anyone to cover your class if you book it now".

Booked my test and and went and had it (enjoyable as always) and work have told me to come in tomorrow even if I've not got my results back because, again, I'm sure it s a chest infection.

I'm not going to go in tomorrow anyway cos I just don't feel comfortable doing it without getting my test results. I've also looked online and various places say that symptoms for the double vaccinated can be very cold like which has put a worry in my mind that there's a chance it could be covid. 

27 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

My work were being dodgy as fuck today.

I'm a primary school teacher and regularly take lateral flow tests for my work.

I've had a cold all week which I'm now sure has developed into a chest infection (I get a couple of chest infections every Autumn/Winter so generally know when I'm getting one) so phoned the Dr's at playtime to ask for some antibiotics. Dr asked if I've had a PCR test to rule out covid and that they won't give me antibiotics until I've had one so I'll need to get tested. Spoke to management at work explaining that Dr has said I need to get a PCR, management said that although I've been told to book one I should wait until after school finishes and book it then because "once you've booked it you need to isolate and we don't have anyone to cover your class if you book it now".

Booked my test and and went and had it (enjoyable as always) and work have told me to come in tomorrow even if I've not got my results back because, again, I'm sure it s a chest infection.

I'm not going to go in tomorrow anyway cos I just don't feel comfortable doing it without getting my test results. I've also looked online and various places say that symptoms for the double vaccinated can be very cold like which has put a worry in my mind that there's a chance it could be covid. 

Hope it's not the Covid and your work sound knob for promoting presenteeism over health of staff and students. 

Did it used to be a Cotton Mill? 

No, then fuck their guilt tripping bollocks 

Reccord everything bcc yourself into everything , contact your union/ Acas hope you're well soon 

x

We've got carnage at work at the moment with staff and students from multiple departments across the campus getting positive PCR test results over the last few days. Everyone's been told to still turn up each day though, unless they either haven't been (or can't be) vaccinated (in which case they need to isolate for 10 days) or if they get contacted by test and trace. We've done pretty well at avoiding covid so far, but at the moment it feels pretty much inevitable that we're all going to get ill sooner rather than later...

On a lighter note, I went for the supercharged booster jab a couple of hours ago and followed it up with a massive Maccies to make sure it went in properly.

spacer.png

Also purchased this magnificent bastard (non-Maccies, but whatever) to keep myself topped up over the weekend.

spacer.png

• Paid Members

Anyone else ended up with Parosmia from having Covid?

I noticed since having Covid I can’t smell shit or farts anymore but assumed that it would come back. In the last couple weeks Onions and Garlic among other things taste rancid to me and overpower any other taste in the dish. It tastes almost like bin water smells.

I looked into it and apparently it’s Parosmia which isn’t too great. I’m out for a TGI’s tomorrow and I’m worried everything will taste like shit (get your TGI digs in now).

Covid has really shown up how fucking stupid most sickness policies are. Everywhere is so fussed about staff "taking the piss" that they encourage people to come in with colds, flus, chest infections and all the other shit. 

Maybe it's me but I'd imagine far more revenue is lost from spreading illness around an office than is lost from the odd person ringing in with a hangover.

Where I work at the moment (thankfully got a new job lined up) we've got a big emphasis on helping old and vulnerable people while also having a sickness policy that encourages staff to come in with all sorts of illnesses. It's very "supporting old people is very important but not more important than stopping Kevin from going on a massive bender once a year and having a lie in." 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Vamp said:

Maybe it's me but I'd imagine far more revenue is lost from spreading illness around an office than is lost from the odd person ringing in with a hangover

It is. I was discussing this with someone where I work over the summer, I'm feeling ill but come in and work at 50% because that's what's expected, rather than take a day and work at 0%.

But I pass it to 20 people who all do the same, resulting in a short term gain for long term loss of productivity and quality because people work ill.

They all knew this but to them it came down to perception, it looks bad if the business can cope without one of the team. I'd say that's rubbish and shows suitable staffing, but then I'm not a department head.

It's the same on break's and self managed time. I deliver better if I take a break when I feel bad and pick myself up, better work for 45 minutes at 100% than 60 at 50%.