Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

So there’s some kind of COVID fan-fest event going on at Whitehall/Westminster bridge, tons of police, and lots of very angry people. Someone holding a sign saying “COVID VACCINE IS MEDICAL RAPE” and a bloke wearing a t-shirt that said “FUCK” on it several times over. Each to their own and all that, but the cops wouldn’t let anyone over the bridge so I’m having to walk an extra mile or whatever it is in this bastard heat so fuck them. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Where have you got that from? First I'm hearing of this.

Couldn't say a source, it's just been my understanding for a little while that that it reduces the effects but doesn't prevent you getting it. 

Probably a news article I'm not remembering correctly.

I wouldn't listen to me anyway, I'm a right twat.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

It reduces all of those things, but not to the same degree.

In very simplified terms, you catch the virus in your nose and/or mouth, which is why one of the symptoms is loss of smell. Depending how much of it you have and how you respond, it goes into your throat, hence the cough, and potentially into your lungs, which is where you get the breathing problems and potentially hospital treatment and then death. (The high temperature is just your body fighting off infection.) Each step is less likely to happen than the one before.

Vaccination slows/reduces that whole process, so:

death falls the most (less people getting to the "severely in lungs" stage

hospital ("significantly in lungs") falls but not as much

symptomatic ("in nose/throat") falls by a bit less

and then positive ("any virus in your body even if not enough to cause symptoms") falls the least.

It's much harder to test how well it works at reducing transmission because you can't just look at the people in your study. However, from looking at people the test subjects live with, it looks like the likelihood of transmission is reduced by about 50%. That's less than any of the other effects, but still makes a significant difference to the spread among the general population.

Those results bear out the logical assumption which is that if your less likely to get the virus at all/less likely to have it at a significant level, you're less likely to transmit enough to make somebody else positive/symptomatic.

tl;dr: vaccines aren't just about "get covid" vs "don't get covid" but rather about making each step of increasingly bad consequences less likely. 

alternative tl;dr - your body tries to fight off the virus at different stages (taking hold, causing symptoms, causing serious lung problems, death). The vaccine gives you a much better chance at each stage, so the further along, the more the overall difference it makes.

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members

Analogy time:

Think of the different stages of infection (contracting it; becoming symptomatic; being hospitalised; intensive care; dying) as the virus being a run-of-the-mill Championship team making its way through the rounds of the FA Cup: it's got a decent chance of winning the first game but a low chance of winning the whole tournament.

Now think of the vaccine's effects on the virus being like the team having to start every game two goals down.

It makes it more difficult but not impossible to win the third round game. It not only makes the fourth round game more difficult, but it's less likely it gets to play it anyway. And it doesn't just make winning the final harder, but it's now incredibly unlikely it gets to the final.

Edited by JNLister

1 hour ago, hallicks said:

How anal are the vaccination centres about appointment times? I’ve double booked myself for my 2nd jab and a work meeting at the same time so wondering if they’ll me go in half an hour early

They were just sending people in when I got my first dose. So long as you’re on the right day and roughly the time booked you should be OK. The time slots are just to avoid everyone turning up at the same time

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, JNLister said:

Analogy time:

Think of the different stages of infection (contracting it; becoming symptomatic; being hospitalised; dying) as the virus being a run-of-the-mill Championship team making its way through the rounds of the FA Cup: it's got a decent chance of winning the first game but a low chance of winning the whole tournament.

Now think of the vaccine's effects on the virus being like the team having to start every game two goals down.

It makes it more difficult but not impossible to win the third round game. It not only makes the fourth round game more difficult, but it's less likely it gets to play it anyway. And it doesn't just make winning the final harder, but it's now incredibly unlikely it gets to the final.

Football thread. 

• Paid Members

Johnson rolled that back from "we will" bring in that rule to "we may well want to" in the space of a few minutes. It probably makes public health sense but he ain't getting that through the Commons without relying on opposition votes.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Johnson rolled that back from "we will" bring in that rule to "we may well want to" in the space of a few minutes. It probably makes public health sense but he ain't getting that through the Commons without relying on opposition votes.

Its beyond parody.