Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

I used to use Fahrenheit for temperature years ago when I was pulling sickies from work. 103 sounds well better than 39!

Although having been in Croatia for three weeks where the temperature ranged from 34-38 degrees with the so-called "feels like" topping out in the mid 40s...it is definitely HOT. Far too hot. 

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Spelling

• Paid Members

I’m so tired of this bullshit.  I’ve avoided doing much of anything all along, and locked down early.  Double vaccinated and had thought I’d have some chance to safely get out a bit and live again.  Instead, I have one week to do that - with cases soaring so not really safe - before things go even crazier.  Cannot believe the Government are being so reckless with lifting restrictions.

All I wanted was to safely get my haircut for the first time in 18 months and start seeing my friend again.  Wasn’t bothered about going inside houses, pubs etc.  I’m now having to cram the appointment and a meal (outside) into this week, and am mildly terrified at the prospect.  My friend is double vaccinated (minus a week) but was ill before it, ill after and her kid has a sore throat (but she “doesn’t think it’s Covid”) so that scares me too.  But I can’t wait, can I?  I won’t feel safe after this week.  I feel forced into it and it feels very risky after being so careful.  Certainly won’t be encouraging me back into places to help fix the economy but I’m clearly not someone they care about.  Can’t wait for the inevitable next lockdown and variants, but so what?  This government are unaccountable.

Hope things improve @Chris B.  Do you have a pulse oximeter?  I’ve read it can be worth investing to pick things up before they develop but hopefully you’re past that stage.

Edit - sorry to be a downer.  I was just so looking forward to some safe normal life.

Edited by choccygirl

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

To me, over a 100 Fahrenheit is hot. I have no idea whether 30 or 35 Celsius is hot, to be honest.

Here’s a neat trick: 0 is freezing, 100 is boiling. Work it out from there. Or just ask on Twitter.

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, choccygirl said:

Hope things improve @Chris B.  Do you have a pulse oximeter?  I’ve read it can be worth investing to pick things up before they develop but hopefully you’re past that stage.

My partner has ordered one, which is turning up tomorrow. My breathing was more shallow today, which freaked me out a little. I called 111 (to ask at what stage should I do something) and the guy nicely took me through an assessment, and determined it was pretty much within covid levels. There was a follow up call an hour later which was hilariously short.

"Has it got worse?"

"No, it's a little better."

"Any new symptoms?"

"No."

"Okay, call us back if that changes. Bye."

I mean, I'd have preferred a gentle, reassuring tone, but I'll take a brutally efficient "you're basically fine".

• Paid Members

I've been saying for a while that Jersey has been a decent bellwether for the UK's Covid response; they're basically the UK approach in microcosm, and tend to have been a few weeks to a month ahead of us in terms of lifting restrictions. 

They were due to reopen tomorrow (having been twice delayed from June), had changed their border policy, already dropped work from home advice and mandatory mask wearing everywhere but public transport, the harbour and the airport, and the government had started to pivot to a stance of, "case numbers will go up when we reopen, but that shouldn't be the metric we judge by any more, as they're not translating to hospitalisations".

They dropped most of that yesterday. They've delayed reopening until at least 5th August, though some government sources are saying "indefinitely", because they hit the highest number of cases in a single day that they have ever seen there. They're on track for 500+ new cases a day, with some 9000 people isolating as direct contacts - from a population of a little over 100,000. Their track and trace system (completely separate from the NHS system) has basically completely collapsed under the strain. The majority of cases are people under 40. The whole thing's a mess. 

Around me (SE London), I'm seeing more and more people not wearing masks in the shops and on public transport, when actually most people before now were pretty good for following the rules. I find it hard to get angry about them, because we're being told it'll be fine to not wear them after July 19th. It's an arbitrary line in the sand - if there's no need to wear them next Monday, why wear them on Wednesday? What magically changes on the 19th?

I still have every intention of wearing a mask on public transport, and most likely at the supermarket. While at some point it has to become about personal responsibility, I'm dreading the inevitable stories of anti-mask pricks abusing people on public transport for still wearing masks, and I feel for the customer service and hospitality staff that are largely in demographics least likely to have had their second jab yet have no choice but to be surrounded by people who think it's all over, and with mask-wearing no longer being legally required, won't even have government support should they prefer their patrons be masked or take basic precautions. Bar staff and supermarket employees aren't paid enough to put up with the arguments and abuse that will ensue from that. It's basically outsourcing public health measures to the general public. 

One last thing is that I hate the rhetoric that anyone advising caution or taking precautions out of a sense of civic responsibility is "living in fear". I'm not "afraid" of Covid, fear isn't driving any of my actions, a basic sense of decency and civic responsibility is. To assume "fear" is the motivating factor of anyone advising caution strikes me as profoundly selfish.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

They dropped most of that yesterday. They've delayed reopening until at least 5th August, though some government sources are saying "indefinitely", because they hit the highest number of cases in a single day that they have ever seen there. They're on track for 500+ new cases a day, with some 9000 people isolating as direct contacts - from a population of a little over 100,000. Their track and trace system (completely separate from the NHS system) has basically completely collapsed under the strain. The majority of cases are people under 40. The whole thing's a mess. 

But what are the hospitalisation rates like? Important information if the relevant metric is no longer case numbers.