Jump to content

Covid-19 Megathread


Loki
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
3 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Also the Tory's landlord mates will be crying in to their coffees if no one returns to the office and there are a bunch of massive office buildings sat empty. 

This. When Rishi Sunak announced people will “quit” if they have to work from home instead of returning to the office… whatever, mate. You clearly just want offices back open rather than businesses going, “You know what? We don’t need this space, we’ll drop the lease” and have the price of his and his mates’ property portfolios plummet.

What an odious, transparent prick.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
20 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Also the Tory's landlord mates will be crying in to their coffees if no one returns to the office and there are a bunch of massive office buildings sat empty. 

Convert them into affordable homes, solve the housing crises and keep the location alive. Job done.

But no...Tory cunts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

 

I look at friends who have kids that have grown up in the social media age and most are already primed for life at home, unable or unwilling to meet up outside with their friends. Most interaction seems to be online, and with a culture that would extend that beyond school, college and then university, I think it’s quite a worrying direction of travel.

I'm not seeing that at all in my anecdotal experience. Every kid I know has been itching to hang out with their mates again, and the park behind my house is now full of small groups of youngsters who are allowed to meet up once again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

I'm not seeing that at all in my anecdotal experience. Every kid I know has been itching to hang out with their mates again, and the park behind my house is now full of small groups of youngsters who are allowed to meet up once again.

I’m genuinely pleased to hear that, truly. Unfortunately, the large parks and fields around our way are always empty except for the odd dog walker. Decent goalposts with nobody in them, a park with a basketball court just up the road is always empty.

No idea why, maybe I just live in a very miserable place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I'm not seeing that at all in my anecdotal experience. Every kid I know has been itching to hang out with their mates again, and the park behind my house is now full of small groups of youngsters who are allowed to meet up once again.

Same. It's great to see.

My kids love their screens, games etc but are happiest in the outdoors, and will do anything just to be outside rather than in.

The other day, as the football was flat and the tennis courts were full, we spent about an hour just chucking a tennis ball back and forth in the park. Like that episode of Friends, but you know, much shitter.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah our kids are absolutely fucking desperate to hang out with each other again. They're 6 and 3, so maybe it's an age thing, but they couldn't have been happier to get back to school and nursery and be around their friends again. The novelty of zoom calls and tablets and all that wore off very quickly. Don't get me wrong - they still love playing on them, but absolutely not for social interaction reasons.

Even being able to see their young cousins over the weekend in the garden you could tell just how much happier they were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
39 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I’m genuinely pleased to hear that, truly. Unfortunately, the large parks and fields around our way are always empty except for the odd dog walker. Decent goalposts with nobody in them, a park with a basketball court just up the road is always empty.

No idea why, maybe I just live in a very miserable place.

Where do you live?

Every green space in London or anywhere else I've  been the past month no matter how small seems absolutely bursting with people of all ages desperate to be outside doing something or socializing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The parks near us are actually scarily busy, I've never seen them as packed as they are now. It's actually hard to avoid people when you go which means we have stopped going. Hopefully it'll quieten down a bit when the kids go back to school and we cam go back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2021 at 1:39 PM, LaGoosh said:

Where do you live?

Every green space in London or anywhere else I've  been the past month no matter how small seems absolutely bursting with people of all ages desperate to be outside doing something or socializing. 

Essex coast. Everywhere is just so quiet away from the main roads. I’ve noticed fields and parks are horrendously underused, going back several years.

Guys I work with are all in Suffolk and are reporting the same. That said, we’re miles away from any big city etc, so maybe not a like-for-like comparison. 

Edited by scratchdj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

Guys I work with are all in Suffolk and are reporting the same. That said, we’re miles away from any big city etc, so maybe not a like-for-like comparison. 

I'm in Suffolk (Ipswich) and always seems to be busy wherever we go in parks etc. Sometimes we've had to go to another one because it's just so busy somewhere.

I think on the whole most people are just glad to be out somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've hardly seen anyone out on the grass, in parks or in the local woods during the recent weather but same as scratch I hardly ever see them used, even the football field has had like 2 people playing there at a time, max.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Since moving to London, I'd say every park around me has been reasonably busy, and there's always kids and families in the playgrounds. Especially as we're getting into spring, and towards summer as things open up, the idea that kids are just going to be happy being cooped up indoors doesn't really hold up. Unless they're nerds like me who would have been inside all the time anyway.

I wonder how much of it equates to private vs public land, though. Where I grew up, it would be rare to see kids playing in fields or on the village green, but even our little council house had a good sized garden, so there was very little reason to. But in London, where there's far less likelihood of living somewhere with a garden, the public parks are going to get a lot more use. Luckily for me, in SE there's a fair amount of them to choose from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
5 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Convert them into affordable homes, solve the housing crises and keep the location alive. Job done.

But no...Tory cunts.

If done right...  Permitted developments have been a disaster for my town.  Conversion of premises that can be done without planning permission from the council in buildings that were never meant to be homes converted to maximise profit.  If you could swing a cat in them it would be a 2d cat printed on a postcard.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/27/housing-crisis-planning-converting-office-blocks-homes-catastrophe-jenrick

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-47720887

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/feb/25/new-bbc-chair-richard-sharp-managed-firm-roundshield-caridon

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm in Suffolk (Ipswich) and always seems to be busy wherever we go in parks etc. Sometimes we've had to go to another one because it's just so busy somewhere.

I think on the whole most people are just glad to be out somewhere.

I know what you mean. I was in Christchurch Park last monday and there was definitely a good number of people there. Having said that though, they did seem to be sticking to their respective groups. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...