Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Two weeks of having the fucker I'm finally starting to feel better. Still can't smell anything! Not sure what was worse. The sore throat which meant I went days without drinking very little water or the 48hrs where I was constantly coughing up phlegm meaning I couldn't lie down or get any sleep. 

This is the most unwell I've ever felt. To the point where I wrote out my funeral wishes as I was expecting to have to call an ambulance at any point. 

Thankfully I'm over the worst with just an uncomfortable feeling in my throat. 

Then I read the news and there's another mutated variant on its way. Fuck!

Getting a very uneasy feeling about the way things are going in Europe (and the world) now. I'm three weeks away from flying home to the UK to see my friends and family for the first time in two and a half years, and I've had the nagging feeling it's not going to happen for a bit now. 

First, someone in my kid's kindergarten class tested positive, so she's been off for a week and had to get a test. The up the nose version, too, which isn't nice for a three year old. She was negative, anyway, so will go back on Monday but I'm just waiting for the next positive case and for it to start all over again. 

Then this new variant crops up and travel gets banned from several countries. Feels like deja vu all over again. 

Here in the Czech Republic we've entered a state of emergency as of today. Christmas markets cancelled, everything shutting early, vaccination certificates required for most things (good) and capacity reduced for events. 

No bans on wider travel (yet) and I hope there won't be but, yeah, I'm very anxious about what's going to happen over the next few weeks and just hoping that our trip home for Christmas isn't cancelled. It's been too long and I think my mental health has taken a bit of a battering from being away for so long. I've been counting down the days since booking the tickets a month or so ago. 

Me and my wife are both double-jabbed and hope to be boosted before flying, so hopefully that helps in some way. 

I saw a story about the Macy's Thanksgiving parade going on in the US yesterday, right before I saw the story about the Nu variant. The headline for the parade was "Macy's parade goes ahead in full for first time since the pandemic". It was one of those moments where I thought, ah, kind of asking for trouble here with all this talk of "since".

They've just detected the Nu variant in Belgium, too, so if it isn't here yet, it'll be here soon.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members

Ireland is in a shite heap. The government haven't a clue what they're doing or saying, even.
"Take these vaccines. Be grand. Actually, you won't. We close the clubs at midnight to curb the spread. Nope, your kids don't need a vaccine, no sir, that is absolutely, categorically not on the agenda. Actually, you know what? Soz, they do but we'll all only need boosters once a year. Be grand. Oh soz...Pfizer vaccine efficacy wanes after 3 months. Boosters every 3 months then? Be grand..."
Fucking sick to me teeth of it all. We do what's asked. Still not enough.
Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly an Anti-Vaxxer thinking that Gates is going to wipe us out in some apocalyptic cull, but I'm struggling in myself to justify doing anything else that these fucking scrotes, these absolute clowns in charge ask me to do.

Sorry ladies and lads, I had to vent. Been struggling an awful lot lately with mental health, all attributed to what's going on, and have nowhere else to vent because Twitter is a gikpot.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Just back from Russia on Monday there (negative PCR tests since thankfully) and that too was an eye opener.  I get a bit scunnered with how the devolved government here is handling things and then realise that it's just as bad everywhere else which is probably why it's still such a massive issue two years later.

Not sure what the answer is but there's going to be a pretty hefty body count if further messures aren't taken. 

In the supermarket this morning, two women without masks decide to spend five minutes blocking access to shelves while having a conversation. After I rather impolitely asked if they could possibly move along some time this Ice Age, they retorted I should't use language like that in front of their children. I replied "First, Wear a fucking mask. Second. If you want to have a conversation, do it in the fucking car park". Judging by their shocked expressions, that wasn't the reply they were expecting...

Went to a punk show Friday night, tested twice a day since, hearing from friend after friend that was there that they were testing positive, and sure enough I've just flunked a lateral flow test too. Wondering if it's this new super transmissible variant, as it seems that almost everyone at the gig picked it up.

Mums seventieth birthday visit cancelled, plus a course I was meant to go on for work next week. The only good thing right now is that my new job allows me to work from home so at least I'll be getting paid still. 

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Just got the booster, another Pfizer. Going to the chippy when I get home because there's no McDonald's near Levenshulme's Jain community centre.

Fuck the boosters, it's Joe Rogan who's got the answers. UFC President Dana White caught Covid and Joe was the first person he called. 

“So I get out of the cold plunge and steam, and I spray the eucalyptus and I was like, ‘What the hell?’ I couldn’t smell anything. So I opened the bottle and start sniffing the bottle of eucalyptus, and I couldn’t smell and I was like, ‘I know what this means.’ I literally got out of the steam and got on my phone and called Joe Rogan.

“I get up, 9 o’clock Monday morning, and I get tested. He said get monoclonal antibodies in you as soon as possible, so I did. By noon, I had the monoclonal antibodies in me. Then he told me to do a NAD drip. I did that right after. The next day – so Sunday at 8 o’clock at night I have no taste or smell. I get up Tuesday getting ready to shave. Cleaning my razor, I could smell the alcohol. My taste and smell were back by the next day by 11 o’clock. Then I took a dose of ivermectin. Then yesterday I did a vitamin drip, and today I’m doing another NAD drip.

“Never felt better. I’m feeling like a million bucks. I’m doing two-a-day workouts for the next 10 days while I have COVID and I’m in quarantine. I got my smell and taste back in less than 24 hours.”

Boom. Sorted.

Edited by David

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Just got the booster, another Pfizer. Going to the chippy when I get home because there's no McDonald's near Levenshulme's Jain community centre.

I had a McDonald's after mine and had 2 days of fever to show for it so I'm starting to seriously doubt some of the advice that's been given in this thread. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, David said:

Fuck the boosters, it's Joe Rogan who's got the answers. UFC President Dana White caught Covid and Joe was the first person he called. 

I endorse this move if it means Dana White carks it because it might mean no more UFC.