Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Correction to what I said according to this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59639973

It reckons that as well as the booster topping up your supply of antibodies, each time you go through a round of producing antibodies, they'll be slightly better quality. (Specifically, they'll bind tighter to the spikes on the virus, which is how they stop the virus attaching and getting into your cells.)

As for prior infection, it appears the level of protection/immunity you get from having COVID varies widely whereas it's more predictable with vaccines, so it's harder to compare the two. It definitely appears the level of immunity is stronger with more severe disease, so it may be that although the "average" patient's immunity levels are similar to vaccination, most COVID cases lead to much lower protection and the average is being dragged up by the people who were hospitalised or in intensive care.

Also, the logic at least is that antibodies from multiple vaccine doses do a better job of coping with variants/mutations than antibodies from prior infection. It's too early to be certain, but that appears to be proving the case with Omicron. 

Edited by JNLister

Thanks Jon.

I'm on my second round of having covid, first time was back in July and I was totally floored and had a lot of laboured breathing but it cleared up without any treatment after around 10 days.

This time fortunately its been much much milder and I'd say symptons were akin to that of the common cold or a head cold. I tested positive on Friday after having felt under the weather since Tuesday and had negative LFTs Tue/Wed/Thu. 

My symptoms were practically gone this morning however I took an LFT out of curiosity and now quite mucus heavy after a lot of sneezing into tissues.

LFT is negative...does anyone know whether once you start testing negative again you're no longer contagious? I'm sure I'd read that before but cant find anything on that now. 

I'm still going to complete my 10 day isolation regardless but Ive been further isolating within 1 room of the house to try and minimise the risk of infecting my wife and kids meaning my wifes had to do everything for our 4 year old and 3 week old as well as bring me all my meals so I'd love to be able to give her a break ASAP.

• Paid Members

If you're a genetic freak like me, and not normal, Covid only has a 25% chance of beating you. But if you add a vaccine to the mix, the chances go down even further. And with a third jab, the virus has a 33 and a third percent chance of winning. But the virus knows it can't beat me and isn't even going to try, so that gives me a 66 and two-thirds chance. So take its 33.33% chance minus my 25% if it was just any human's immune system, and it's got an 8.3% chance of beating me if it infects me. But then take my 75% chance (if it goes up against MY immune system) and add 66 and two-thirds percent, then I have a 141 and two-thirds percent of kicking its arse if it tries to infect me. The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for Covid!

3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

If you're a genetic freak like me, and not normal, Covid only has a 25% chance of beating you. But if you add a vaccine to the mix, the chances go down even further. And with a third jab, the virus has a 33 and a third percent chance of winning. But the virus knows it can't beat me and isn't even going to try, so that gives me a 66 and two-thirds chance. So take its 33.33% chance minus my 25% if it was just any human's immune system, and it's got an 8.3% chance of beating me if it infects me. But then take my 75% chance (if it goes up against MY immune system) and add 66 and two-thirds percent, then I have a 141 and two-thirds percent of kicking its arse if it tries to infect me. The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for Covid!

"And they spell disaster for you at Vaxrifice!" (Sure I've made this gag before)

• Paid Members

Booking my booster last week the earliest appointment I could get was 6th January and it wouldn't let me rebook an earlier one when they opened it up to under 40s. Gf had her booster today and rang me to say they were accepting walk ins. Anyway, long story short I've just had 2 cheese and onion pasties on the way back. 

• Paid Members

Got the booster last night, as my eldest daughter decided after umming and ah-ing that it was a good idea to get hers.

So she drove me in her car and we both got the booster. Hilariously, the Nazi lady on the exit desk was going by the community centre clock, which was 10 minutes slow, so we had to wait 25 minutes instead of the regulation 15.

We then smashed up a massive Dominos.

I ended up getting covid a few weeks ago after going to a beer festival. I was fine since I have had 2 jabs. I did the Lateral Flow test before work on the Sunday and it came up inconclusive. Booked a PCR straight away and after I got the positive test news Tuesday morning, I had to have the week off. I didn't have any major symptoms, but I definitely had a slight loss of taste for a few days.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I'm going tomorrow. It's in Centrale shopping centre in Croydon town. Gonna see if I've got time to check out Wendy's after as long as I've no meetings to head back for urgently...

I'll be getting jabbed there on Saturday! Centrale that is, though maybe I'll be jabbed in Wendy's afterwards. 

I love when those press conferences have Whitty all but saying, "look, I can't very well stand here and contradict fuck-head standing next to me, but...let's just say, I expect my Christmas plans to be disrupted".

Also: WHO doctor on Sky News just basically predicted the NHS is going to collapse during this wave. So, yeah.

Edited by 69MeDon