Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I see they're telling people on the Isle Of Man to stay at home 4 weeks on from lifting all their restrictions because they've had a pretty big outbreak over there. Imagine what it'll be like over here? June? Maybe 2022.. 

The Isle of Man had a similar strategy to Guernsey, which is of elimination rather than the UK's attempt to manage it. Basically, they've taken advantage of being a small island and shut the borders, worked to ensure there were 0 cases on-island, and strict border control measures and effective track and trace after the fact. 

Part of that strategy means that they have to be in the position to make a rapid response and go into full lockdown if there are any outbreaks that they're unable to effectively trace. The UK hasn't followed the same strategy.

• Paid Members
On 2/24/2021 at 3:43 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah. Few hours later and the only side-effect is a slightly numb and sore arm.

A “spicy arm” as my daughter would call it. How’s it now?

My mum and dad both had their first jabs over the past couple of weeks. Big relief as they were the ones I was most concerned about due to a few health issues with both. My wife’s mum is having hers this week. For the first time in a while when it comes to this, my mood has perked up. Think it’s just the fact that something is finally happening that gives hope for some kind of normality again. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

A “spicy arm” as my daughter would call it. How’s it now?

I hope you realise how much a part of my family's lexicon 'spicy foot' has become because of your daughter!

It's fine now, it faded around yesterday afternoon and I haven't had any other effects.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

!

It's fine now, it faded around yesterday afternoon and I haven't had any other effects.

As great as that is (Mrs Scorch has hers next Saturday), I can’t be the only one waiting to find out what you had from McDonalds can I?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

As great as that is (Mrs Scorch has hers next Saturday), I can’t be the only one waiting to find out what you had from McDonalds can I?

Sausage and egg McMuffin of course!

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, johnnyboy said:

How do you read that and take it as the EU?

Germany chose not to use AZ for the elderly, which could have blighted perception of that vaccine overall.  Sadly the nuance and reasoning of the decision has been lost in the headlines and Facebook shares.  Maybe if you're in a country that has considerably less than half the per-capita deaths of the UK you can be a bit choosier about the jab you'd like.  Living in the UK I'm stuck in the "you can put Bovril in my arm if it helps" situation so I'll take anything when offered.

There are countries within the EU vaccinating at higher rates than Germany or France.

Spain Germany France Italy have all limited the use to under 65s. I was probably to wide in the term the EU so i redact that. They will all struggle to now prove to people it works. 

• Paid Members

It's been a bit of an odd one at Maison Carbomb, as my mum has been chafing at the bit to get vaccinated ASAP, as she sees it as both a health thing and a civic duty to do so, but she was really hoping for the Pfizer one based on the under-65s thing (she's 72). She ended up with the AZ jab instead. 

We were encouraged last week to read that the figures on the AZ vaccine may have been skewed simply because there wasn't enough data at the time. Fingers crossed.

The Mrs grandad is just about gone from this unfortunately.

So frustrating, left the house once since last March and that was 8 weeks ago to get his vaccine.

Then got took to hospital 2 weeks ago as had some kidney issues, was in a week and then it was all good and he was due to come out, got an obligatory Covid test last Sunday night which came back positive and now he’s been down hill since, doctor phoned to say he’s got worse today.

So shit man, had to have caught it in the hospital and has obviously been one of the really unlucky ones where the vaccine doesn’t appear to have helped, it’s her Nan I feel sorry for, 40 years of marriage and isn’t even going to be able to say goodbye properly, it’s heartbreaking

Originally I was sceptical it would get to this country and thought much of the press coverage was scaremongering (admittedly I didn't watch much news coverage at the time as I had a lot going on in my life). I was quite dismissive of one of my students who was in a panic about it all. Oh how wrong I was.....

Edited by deathrey

• Moderators

In fairness that did actually happen with SARS and bird flu and the like. I think a lot of people thought that until it hit Italy.

My wife is a natural worrier so she was glad to be vindicated and ahead of the curve this time when it came to covid.. 😬

Edited by Chest Rockwell