• Paid Members

My grandma and grandad live alone, although my mum lives opposite and has basically been their carer for the last 10 years. They both have a string of medical problems and so also have carers coming in serveral times a day.

Grandad was released from hospital 2 days ago and had a new care package put in place as he broke his hip. One of the carers called last night to say grandad had tested positive for COVID. Further investigation has led us to understand that he actually tested positive before he left hospital, yet they still discharged him.

So now he's back home in a small flat with my grandma and I'm at a loss as to what will happen now. I'm waiting to get a call back from the carers to see what will happen there, and I've been told the sister at the hospital will call today. That said, the person I spoke with last night said she'll likley just apologise.

I'm not even sure if there is a protocol in this situation, especially as it's now almost a given my grandma will also catch it. Unlikley I know, but has anyone any experience in anything close to a similar situation?

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been in the smaller of the two Tesco in Lincoln. Things were pretty much in stock apart from loo roll and pet food. Did see one guy at the till getting told by the checkout girl that he couldn't

I'll eventually work through all the messages but I'm safe. Thanks folks. I'm still an absolute mess but safe all the same. 

Posted Images

• Paid Members

Guernsey called an emergency press conference and went into full lockdown on Saturday.

They've been absolutely worlds apart from Jersey, let alone the rest of the UK - they closed their borders almost immediately, slowly reopened to allow for essential travel, and have very strict self-isolation requirements for inbound travel and for anyone testing positive. They have an actually functioning track & trace system, to the point of literally sending people round to your house to check that you're there, and big fines for anyone breaching quarantine.

And until now, it had all worked. They got down to zero cases, and any cases that were identified were all from inbound travel and not spreading in the community. It's been surreal seeing photos from my friends there all hanging out in the pub on Christmas Eve with no social distancing, and seeing Facebook accounts I follow there hyping gigs and events. It's all seemed basically normal.

They went back into full lockdown with a few hours' notice because they discovered four cases. But those four weren't traceable to travel, and they're now up to 30+ cases identified after less than two days, which means it's spreading in the community, and they're reasonably sure they have one of the new variants on the island.

On one hand, it's scary that somewhere that had managed it so well still ends up being susceptible to this new variation. On the other, seeing all the coverage of their new lockdown, there's no complaints, and people are just following the rules immediately, because they've seen it work once before and trust in their government that it will work again. Imagine that! 

• Paid Members

In contrast to the above, I'm finding the reports of Johnson making noises about relaxing lockdown in early February axiety-provoking. Especially when Hancock has gone out and said it's likely to be considerably extended.

I still find the last lockdown ridiculous - by the time we came out of lockdown, we were at the numbers we went in at. Which I don't get at all. How can the same numbers on one day be 'oh shit, lock everything down' and a bit later be 'it's grand lads, let's get out for pints!'?

At this point, I haven't seen my family in-person (they live in Ireland) since Christmas 2019. I'm not expecting to until Summer at the earliest - I live in London, and it's really difficult to justify going from a massively busy city to rural Ireland, especially with grandparents still alive and in their 80s, until it's definitely safe. I'm in favour of getting this done as quickly as possible, but we seem to keep going in favour of pretending it's done.

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

In contrast to the above, I'm finding the reports of Johnson making noises about relaxing lockdown in early February

Where have you heard this? Not that I doubt it just haven't seen anything myself. 

6 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Where have you heard this? Not that I doubt it just haven't seen anything myself. 

There’s was an article in The Guardian doing the rounds yesterday - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/25/johnson-looking-at-potential-of-relaxing-some-covid-lockdown-measures-next-month

It was more of a “we’ll review things” in mid-February, rather than setting a date for any sort of easing.

Edited by WyattSheepMask
  • Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

It was covered quite a lot yesterday. Since then, there's been talk that it was misinterpreted, and Johnson was speaking unclearly - that they would look at the info by mid-February about relaxing measures. Hopefully, that's actually the case, since it seemed like woeful inconsistency. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/25/boris-johnsons-lockdown-slip-up-contradicts-the-official-line

• Paid Members

We don't have a monopoly on running this as a shitshow. Did you see all the panic over this yesterday? Caused by journos not understanding the numbers they were busily tweeting out.

• Paid Members

Any one with a bit of sense can see the numbers are horrific at the moment and relaxing social restrictions is completely the wrong thing to do…

Which definitely means they’ll be relaxed in a couple of week’s time.

7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

People are so willing to grass the police up, some were snitched on as well sitting in a cafe while the country was in lockdown. 

I don't disagree with the fines, I've never really got snitches.

Just now, stewdogg said:

People are so willing to grass the police up, some were snitched on as well sitting in a cafe while the country was in lockdown. 

I don't disagree with the fines, I've never really got snitches.

Dunno, 30 odd officers having haircuts in a police station is a bit bait.

Plus ACAB so fuck them.

Just now, SuperBacon said:

Dunno, 30 odd officers having haircuts in a police station is a bit bait.

Plus ACAB so fuck them.

As I say I haven't got a problem with the fines. I just find it weird that Karen's will pick up on stuff and report them. Maybe I should report every footballer I see on the tv with their perfect haircuts?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

As I say I haven't got a problem with the fines. I just find it weird that Karen's will pick up on stuff and report them. Maybe I should report every footballer I see on the tv with their perfect haircuts?

Are you trying to outdo your terrible posts about films with this one.