Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Given that we ran out of tests in school last week and so couldn't send the kids home with all of the ones they needed over Easter, I'm not particularly confident in the government's ability to provide everyone two tests a week! 

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56632084

Rapid testing to be offered twice weekly to everyone in England from a week on Friday.

Seems like another positive step forward if not a potentially expensive one.

Will probably encourage companies to get people back to work anyway. I'm still uncomfortable with it until I've been vaccinated so glad my company doesn't seem to be in a rush.

I don't get why they're so keen to get people back into the office. Well, aside from their friends that run transport companies losing money. Business are saving money in not having to worry as much about the cost of offices etc. 

• Paid Members
Just now, johnnyboy said:

Looks like they're planning to use these as part of the "covid passport" scheme.  Inaccurate tests with self-reported results.  What could possibly go wrong...

Lockdown 4 just in time for the summer weather? 

London especially is built for the commuters and all the people around there. What is London without the business people? Tourists are never going to keep those businesses afloat by themselves. As said above - so many food places, coffee shops, pubs etc all rely on the daily footfall. 

On the flipside I see a lot more local businesses near me popping up and doing far better out of all of this.

• Paid Members

I understand the points about how people not returning to offices will destroy large sections of the service sector. But that line of thinking unsettles me. Isn't the point of capitalist economies that they bend and change by the will and needs of the people rather than the other way round? The idea that people should spend large chunks of their salary on commuting and make themselves miserable to keep cafes and bars in Canary Wharf or wherever open is fucking depressing. Business needs to adapt to the new way of life rather than just go back to the old way (which has now been proven to be incredibly fragile).

The bars, cafes and restaurants sprung up because that's where the business was, not the other way around. We've already had hundreds of independent businesses like that adapt via home deliveries and revised opening hours. Those that don't adapt will and should fail; that's capitalism at its core.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Also the Tory's landlord mates will be crying in to their coffees if no one returns to the office and there are a bunch of massive office buildings sat empty. 

This. When Rishi Sunak announced people will “quit” if they have to work from home instead of returning to the office… whatever, mate. You clearly just want offices back open rather than businesses going, “You know what? We don’t need this space, we’ll drop the lease” and have the price of his and his mates’ property portfolios plummet.

What an odious, transparent prick.  

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Also the Tory's landlord mates will be crying in to their coffees if no one returns to the office and there are a bunch of massive office buildings sat empty. 

Convert them into affordable homes, solve the housing crises and keep the location alive. Job done.

But no...Tory cunts.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I look at friends who have kids that have grown up in the social media age and most are already primed for life at home, unable or unwilling to meet up outside with their friends. Most interaction seems to be online, and with a culture that would extend that beyond school, college and then university, I think it’s quite a worrying direction of travel.

I'm not seeing that at all in my anecdotal experience. Every kid I know has been itching to hang out with their mates again, and the park behind my house is now full of small groups of youngsters who are allowed to meet up once again.

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I'm not seeing that at all in my anecdotal experience. Every kid I know has been itching to hang out with their mates again, and the park behind my house is now full of small groups of youngsters who are allowed to meet up once again.

Same. It's great to see.

My kids love their screens, games etc but are happiest in the outdoors, and will do anything just to be outside rather than in.

The other day, as the football was flat and the tennis courts were full, we spent about an hour just chucking a tennis ball back and forth in the park. Like that episode of Friends, but you know, much shitter.

Yeah our kids are absolutely fucking desperate to hang out with each other again. They're 6 and 3, so maybe it's an age thing, but they couldn't have been happier to get back to school and nursery and be around their friends again. The novelty of zoom calls and tablets and all that wore off very quickly. Don't get me wrong - they still love playing on them, but absolutely not for social interaction reasons.

Even being able to see their young cousins over the weekend in the garden you could tell just how much happier they were.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I’m genuinely pleased to hear that, truly. Unfortunately, the large parks and fields around our way are always empty except for the odd dog walker. Decent goalposts with nobody in them, a park with a basketball court just up the road is always empty.

No idea why, maybe I just live in a very miserable place.

Where do you live?

Every green space in London or anywhere else I've  been the past month no matter how small seems absolutely bursting with people of all ages desperate to be outside doing something or socializing. 

The parks near us are actually scarily busy, I've never seen them as packed as they are now. It's actually hard to avoid people when you go which means we have stopped going. Hopefully it'll quieten down a bit when the kids go back to school and we cam go back.