Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Worth noting, not for you obviously, but if you have the McDonalds app there is always an offer on Mondays. Big Mac for 99p after a vaccine is a winner. So if yours is on a Monday, you’re welcome. 

It's on a Friday, sadly, but that following Monday I'm going to the cinema when they reopen so who knows!

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, JNLister said:

My jab's at Bristol City's ground, which means celebratory KFC right outside with the added joy of no opposing fans fighting each other.

My second jab’s at Gosforth racecourse on Saturday, so hope I don’t get a shot of Special K by mistake. Might have to go with a microwave lasagne over a McDonald’s if I do.

Edited by Your Fight Site

Got my 2nd jab this week, no side effects other than sleeping for 10 hours that night! 
We were told to drink a ton of water that day and night and that seemed to help. 
Sadly I’m on health kick so couldn’t justify a Tuesday  Maccy Ds after but did have a homemade chicken sarnie. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I'll have to wait until there's a vaccination centre in the same fucking county. I can't be going 50 miles for it.

I've heard a few people saying similar - I saw it last night, before it was officially announced, and I had my pick of whenever I wanted, basically (including tomorrow if I'd wanted). But by 9am, apparently, there was nothing anywhere nearby. There'll just have been a massive amount of people making appointments this morning.

Might be worth looking out for places nearby in case there are surplus? In some cases, you can just rock up and do it then and there.

• Paid Members

I was finally able to have the first vaccination today. In and out in 5 minutes and barely felt anything. It was the most strangers I’ve been in a space with and the first person, other than my boyfriend, to get close or touch me since March 2019. Very odd. When I left I walked past various restaurants full of people eating outside (closed sides but open tops so not even fully “open”) and tables relatively close together. It was nice to see some normality but at the same time, it was a very opposing sight to the vaccine centre and not something I’ll be doing for months yet.  Not sure if it’s just me but I’m finding it quite alarming that there’s so much talk and signs of normality with so many people still unvaccinated.

I feel grateful to have had the first dose when so many didn’t get the chance.

I had an over two hour round trip so it would’ve been rude to not have a UKFF traditional McDonalds, right? Burger and fries, apple pie... done!

Wife and I are booked in for Thursday afternoon, sadly our centre is 2 minutes away and there are no chain fast food establishments in our small town so I will be letting down the forum on the McDonalds front.

I was wondering if someone slightly more intelligent than me could please explain the worries about the third wave to me.  Just over half the adult population is now vaccinated and this is growing daily.  The government have been warning that a third wave is a when not if scenario. Are they saying that the vaccines are not likely to be effective enough? Or is it the unvaccinated people that they are thinking will be a large enough number to constitute a third wave? Or is it a variants issue? In which case should borders not just stay closed?

• Paid Members

I’ve given up trying to follow it all in detail. I found it all so contradictory that it fried my brain and put me on edge. I now follow loosely so I know what everyone should be doing (while I carry on being locked down mostly) and pick up the main points as needed.

I think it’s to do with variants but also it seemed there was info recently that despite us being told the vaccines would be the way out, that it wouldn’t be. I saw a lot of calls of “the government must explain this” but it seems to have died down and we’re back to “yay! Freedom!”. Everything I’ve seen recently is that we’re on track and case/death numbers look “good” but I wonder how long it will stay that way. I saw a headline the other day about everyone (I think?) needing a booster in the autumn so not sure if that’s connected to variants or just the vaccine weakening as I assume that kind of thing is being assessed constantly, but presumably that’s to limit a winter outbreak. I don’t get how we can be “getting back to normal” and thinking of holidays abroad while there’s talk of another wave, and even some of the last briefings I watched were talking of things being bad in the winter or still needing some restrictions, while the MP there was saying other things. As for the borders... I’ve never got what was happening as it’s always seemed reckless and not any indication of what the reality actually was.

It's still completely unknown both how long the vaccines will provide protection for and for how long you are protected after you've had covid and it's also not known to what extent the vaccines will stop you contracting or passing on the virus. Assuming there will be more waves to come seems to be the sensible thing to do at the moment. That the current British government isn't mentioning any of this is probably not even in the top 10 bad things the government are currently doing.