Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

This is brilliant.

But it's annoyed me that I can't think of similar names for the other jabs and rattle them off like a Wu Tang roll call. Got as far as "Tha FZA" and that's it.

Mekhi Pfizer is about as close as I can get.

I've been referring to the AstraZenica as the the Russell jab for a while, as in Russell Grant. I appreciate I am the only one amused by this. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Still can't get an appointment for anywhere within a remotely doable distance. No chance now they've chucked the young, spry 38 and 39 year olds in there too. Now it's just a toss up between whether old age gets me before Covid does.

All seems a bit of a lottery. I did some volunteering at our local hub and we had people coming 20 and 30 miles.

I was struggling to get my wife booked in. Eventually got something 10 miles away in 2 weeks time. The same day they announced 40 year olds could book so I put mine in and got one up the road 2 days later. 

The GP surgery rang the wife yesterday to see if she needed booking in so that might happen to you? Good luck with it.

• Paid Members

Are cases on the up again since things started opening up? I see they're blaming the Indian variant around Eid and certain groups of people are jumping to conclusions. Maybe this is more like one for the "the Tories are Cunts" thread. 

• Paid Members

I'm not arguing that, but to announce it right after Eid and Ramadan? There's definitely not any manipulating of the narrative and feeding into a certain portion of the population's prejudices involved there, is there? Especially with the mention of such "multicultural" areas as Blackburn with Darwen, and Bolton. It's like the whole thing with East Lancashire and parts of Yorkshire before the second lockdown last year.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Are cases on the up again since things started opening up? I see they're blaming the Indian variant around Eid and certain groups of people are jumping to conclusions. Maybe this is more like one for the "the Tories are Cunts" thread. 

Indian variant and things opening up again is definitely the reason for cases going up. However the good (well not good, but slightly less bad) news is that majority of cases are in younger people so the risk of a huge rise in hospitalizations/deaths is significantly lower than when the Kent variant ran wild.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

How would this work then? Eid was yesterday. 

It was, but you talk about an indian variant, and cases on the increase. Some people will blame it on Eid and Ramadan rather than looking at the return to pubs and people mixing again in the last few weeks. This is Tories we're talking about. They're not going to blame the "Great British Public" bravely doing their bit at the shops and boozing outside in the pissing rain trying to stimulate the economy for this, but the people who pop into their head at mention of the word "Indian", and who've just been celebrating their huge religious festival. It isn't like the government have previous for trying to scapegoat a minority during the pandemic or anything. https://twitter.com/i/events/1289107899692617728

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Do we know if the Indian variant is vaccine resistant yet? Or is it too early to say?

There is absolutely no data at this point to say whether it is vaccine resistant but obviously they are looking into it. It's worth noting the Kent, South Africa and Brazil variants are not vaccine resistant.

GP texted me out of the blue with the offer of a Pfizer hit next Friday. The health service here are only on the 50's age bracket on the national jab rollout so I assume it's some sort of mistake on my GP's part seeing as I'm 33 and have no underlying conditions. But will turn up and hope for the best I suppose.