Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Awards Moderator
27 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Pitcos is right, people have complained that it's been clear as mud from the start. I thought it was fairly obvious what they wanted but there was no clear guidance. 

Even now they're running TV ads that amount to DON'T LEAVE THE HOUSE with their stay alert message while giving the impression that it's all over. 

The impression I’m getting from my Facebook feed is definitely that people think it’s all over, from photos of trips to the beach to asking for recommendations for days out to people who’ve been doing weekly video quizzes proudly proclaiming this week’s as THE LAST ONE like they’ll all be back at the pub next Friday night.

It’s not over until the scaffolders and roofers are back and have fixed the leak in our roof from January.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I spoke to a bloke the other day who's been told to shield because he's on dialysis. He told me he was going out to buy food. When I offered him our food delivery service he said he didn't need it because "it was all over." A lot of people are confused. 

Minds you that wasn't helped by the NHS sending out letters to people who should be shielding but somehow putting the letters into the wrong envelopes. I've spoken to people who should have been shielding but saw the name on the letter was for someone else and ignored it. 

My dad got a phone call from the NHS this week saying he was on the vulnerable list and did he need a food parcel.

After 11 weeks!  If he had needed a food parcel he’d be dead.

A lot of people probably slipped through the cracks.

In a video call team meeting the other day, my manager was complaining that when she went to Stratford last weekend, there were loads of people around just having a day out - which is exactly what she was doing.

I’ve got friends who have been visiting relatives, having BBQs, etc for ages. I know one girl who ended a long-term relationship during lockdown, and she’s had loads of people at hers since then off dating/social sites, because she isn’t used to/doesn’t like her own company. Ultimately, I’ve spoken to a lot of people who just don’t want to be seen as breaking lockdown. It’s very similar to people who don’t drink drive because they don’t want to get stopped rather than because they might kill someone. And definitely since VE Day, loads of people I know have basically decided the danger is over and they’ve just been waiting for some green light to get back to normal.

But then, I’ve been staying in just because the lockdown has meant I don’t have to go out. If I had more energy, or lived closer to my pals, I don’t know if I’d have been such a goodboi.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

In a video call team meeting the other day, my manager was complaining that when she went to Stratford last weekend, there were loads of people around just having a day out - which is exactly what she was doing.

I've seen some cracking ones on Facebook. Somebody on my feed the other day posted 'just been out for a drive and there are so many people on the road! What is wrong with people!!'. Errrrr...

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Yeah but this doesn't take into account that loads of Brits are bored of Covid now and the weather's dead nice so we'll just collectively all agree to ignore all the deaths.

'Ate Covid.

'Ate Bill Gates.

'Ate 5G.

Luv beer gardens.

Luv going down the beach.

Luv meeting me mates.

Ambivalent about tens of thousands of more deaths.

Edited by Loki

I don't think this is an excuse by any means, but some of the clickbait I have seen on Facebook from news outlets/media doesn't help either. I understand headlines are done in a way to make people click links and read articles, but I don't think many people actually do (on my Facebook anyway) and take whatever the headline is as guidance. 

Edited by Briefcase

2 hours ago, Loki said:

My dad got a phone call from the NHS this week saying he was on the vulnerable list and did he need a food parcel.

After 11 weeks!  If he had needed a food parcel he’d be dead.

A lot of people probably slipped through the cracks.

If it's anything like the NHS data we received then the callers would have also called people who were dead before lockdown and shielding even started (in some cases they died last year), people who work for the NHS (they're not vulnerable, they were just included in the data seemingly by accident), and people who don't need to be shielding (as confirmed by their GP). 

The whole thing has been a complete shambles.