Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Woman in the studio on BBC news just now (didn't catch her name, some correspondent or other) talking about "the big date" of June 15th and getting all excited about how shops are reopening and all that. Hope to Christ the phrase "the big date" doesn't stick around. Makes it sound like a party. It's going to be a free for all on the high street, isn't it?

24 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Is he even more influential and powerful than Alistair Campbell ever was? It's got to be close. Those more knowledgeable on politics, have there been any other senior advisors that have wielded as much power and influence as he has/does?

Just the latest in a line (of ones we know about). There was this cunt too (extract from Wiki):

'Mandelson was one of several key individuals responsible for the rebranding of the Labour Party as New Labour before its subsequent victory in the 1997 election.[5][6] He was twice forced to resign from the Cabinet before leaving Parliament to take up an appointment as a European Commissioner. He later rejoined the Cabinet for a third time after being created a Life Peer, sitting on the Labour benches in the House of Lords. He is the only person to hold the position of First Secretary of State as a Peer'.

Hence the reason I can't get excited about this latest episode. I didn't like the man or his 'position' before any of this flared up. Nobody voted for the cunt & he is clearly deeply arrogant. Additionally, he has no mandate or qualifications to be where he is. Hell, I dress casual, but he takes the piss...walking out of Downing Street in an outfit he'd be laughed out of a gymn for wearing.

I don't believe this was ever really about his recent transgretions. He's not liked and the opposition (particularly) would love to see him removed. My 'problem' with that is; we're into smokescreen politics. We have huge problems. Spending energy & time on this prick is both a waste & a distraction. Secondly, re-read my 2nd paragraph. You think that sort of bollocks wouldn't happen again? My guess is that it would.

• Moderators

This is Britain now, for 4 years at least, isn't it? Fuck me it's fucking hilarious. A bent government which has arguably managed to be worse than Thatcher in less than 6 months. 

Are we living in an episode of The New Statesman? 

• Paid Members

He should complain to his local MP about the treatment he's been getting. Who's MP for Islington again?  Oh yeah, maybe he won't...

Yeah as much as Mandy was a sort of Svengali figure, he at least was elected and actually resigned twice even though Blair bloody loved him.

I think the difference between say Campbell and Cummings, is if Campbell had done this, New Labour were a PR machine and he would have resigned or been sacked. The Labour government would not have been so shit it apparently cannot function without one political aide.

Then again, having watched Johnson's briefing today, maybe its best he does stick around. An utterly useless PM. 

• Paid Members

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

What's the point. As expected, he's completely got away with it and No 10 are happy to sweep this under the carpet quite simply because they all haven't got a clue how to run this country without having Cummings tell them precisely what to do and when.

Is he even more influential and powerful than Alistair Campbell ever was? It's got to be close. Those more knowledgeable on politics, have there been any other senior advisors that have wielded as much power and influence as he has/does?

I almost split this up into two points, but that would just lead to one of those long detailed conversations.

The Tories THINK he's completely got away with it. They're washing their hands, but Johnson made clear he couldn't add more than he'd said, and made clear he didn't know about a bunch of stuff. There's some social distancing going on there. I reckon this wasn't the power-play of him going out that everyone assumed - it was more the rest of them going 'you want this done, you go fucking do it'.

As far as Campbell goes, yes, he's more influential and powerful, and I think it's not that close. In terms of power within his party, it might be close, but in terms of the amount of data and information that he's getting his hands on and taking out of democracy, I think it's unprecedented and enormously dangerous.

EDIT: In case it's ambiguous, I'm talking about Cummings.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

Supergenius Cummings apparently doesn't know the Internet Archive Wayback Machine exists, revealing the fact that on the day he got back from Durham he edited a year old blog post to make it look like he'd specifically predicted a coronavirus pandemic.

4 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Woman in the studio on BBC news just now (didn't catch her name, some correspondent or other) talking about "the big date" of June 15th and getting all excited about how shops are reopening and all that. Hope to Christ the phrase "the big date" doesn't stick around. Makes it sound like a party. It's going to be a free for all on the high street, isn't it?

I've been fully expected to be returning to Primark in June as I've said a couple of times but the way social media has been going on since the announcement you'd think we were the ONLY retailer opening on the 15th. I can get the sentiment about shops being announced for returning before people can visit loved ones as it is pissing me off that I can't spend time with my sisters and my nieces and nephews but its grating on me that we appear to be the target for the hate and not the likes of River Island, Debenhams, HMV, Disney, Smyths, Next etc who will open at the same time