Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Saw somebody make the very valid point that whether Cummings followed or broke either the spirit or letter of the lockdown/self-isolation isn't as big an issue as the fact that he completely undermined the point of it. He went from London, which had 20,000 cases at the time, to Durham which had 100 cases, while infected, then went to a hospital with his family and thus exposed medical staff to greater risk (in turn risking their ability to treat patients for both COVID and other conditions.)

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, RedRooster said:

It doesn’t really look like it’s been picked up by anyone aside from Faisal Islam which is deeply deflating. And I think that seriously underplays how serious it is. Evidence of the man who is behind Boris Johnson’s policy crafting a new reality to suit the lies he wishes to tell. The media should be seizing upon that asking if he lied about this, what else has he lied about?

But it feels to me like enough people in the press are moving on for this to become ‘yesterday’s story’.

This guy's posted screenshots, but I don't know if he's a journalist. It's picked up a lot of steam, though:

• Paid Members

It's on Metro too.

I'd be like "Yaaay", but a greater proportion of me thinks it will make no difference whatsoever. For all his pomposity, Johnson's shown himself to be utterly spineless.

• Paid Members

Matt Hancock showing pure shithousery today by cutting people off without retort or a follow up question if he didn't like the first question. What a twat.

Still looks like the law is going to be changed for anyone who was given a penalty fine for driving their kids to a relative thanks to Cumming's actions

• Paid Members

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/full-list-of-mps-who-voted-to-lower-our-food-standards-during-the-covid-pandemic/26/05/

Look what's happened while Dominic Cummings has been dragged through the media. What an odd coincidence. 

20 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Matt Hancock showing pure shithousery today by cutting people off without retort or a follow up question if he didn't like the first question. What a twat.

Was fucking hilarious when he did it to Peston though.

• Paid Members

that this story seems to have lost the government the support of the Daily Mail and the Church of England, which is bonkers for the Tories, I think this one's going to snowball even further. 

I imagine Kier Starmer will be getting praised almost regardless of what he says at PMQs tomorrow, though I fully expect him to harangue Johnson on this one. If the pressure stays on til the end of the week, I can see more resignations coming. If it continues beyond that, we're looking at schools reopening very soon, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the papers start looking for more and more examples of Tory hypocrisy - MPs not sending their kids back to school but imploring the public to send theirs, that sort of thing - to cast doubt on the efficacy of lockdown.

For the likes of the Mail to have turned on Boris Johnson makes me think this isn't going anywhere any time soon. I wonder if we'll even see talk of "unelected bureaucrats" turned against him.

8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I imagine Kier Starmer will be getting praised almost regardless of what he says at PMQs tomorrow,

Parliament is in recess. There won’t be one for a few weeks, conveniently. 

• Moderators

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/lockdown-police-break-up-gathering-18315255?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Tory MPs having fucking house parties around here. Delyn's your way isn't it @MrDanger? 

Hes one of the MPs who's team Cummings. Quelle Surprise. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators

Turned out he doesn't live there anymore after leaving his  wife as he is gay and is moved to London full time. It wasn't common knowledge. 

Well, it is now. Rare I've seen a tory stood up for so much on left wing groups and profiles on Facebook. Still a fucking tory though. 

Edited by PowerButchi