Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

We are being ushered back into the office despite being able to work from home. It's generally been met with confusion. 

I would take a look into this with your colleagues, especially given the only clear bit of Government advice was you shouldn't be going into work if you don't need to. Workplaces will try to force you but that does not mean you have to go. Look into their health and safety measures as well. If you have a union or anything at your work  / adjacent to your work, contact them.

Most importantly is that you and your colleagues unite on this. I would request a team meeting and raise your concerns. Its up to them to make sure you are safe.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I would take a look into this with your colleagues, especially given the only clear bit of Government advice was you shouldn't be going into work if you don't need to. Workplaces will try to force you but that does not mean you have to go. Look into their health and safety measures as well. If you have a union or anything at your work  / adjacent to your work, contact them.

Most importantly is that you and your colleagues unite on this. I would request a team meeting and raise your concerns. Its up to them to make sure you are safe.

We made our feelings clear in a team meeting this morning but I doubt it makes much difference. They do what they like until they get caught out as a general rule.

I'll continue to challenge it and encourage others to.

9 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

We made our feelings clear in a team meeting this morning but I doubt it makes much difference. They do what they like until they get caught out as a general rule.

I'll continue to challenge it and encourage others to.

Yes keep on this. Also look into your contracts with what it says on safety measures/rights and also the Health and Safety law.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Yes keep on this. Also look into your contracts with what it says on safety measures/rights and also the Health and Safety law.

Our contracts are near pointless. When I was working overseas I pointed out that the contract made it impossible for them to release me for my performance or lack thereof and they said they knew and it's a problem in all the contracts they write. 

My current contract spends more time saying I'm allowed to open the company post than anything else, and I don't get anywhere near any post.

If you feel your workplace is unsafe, follow the correct path when it comes to raising it. You are protected by law if your concerns are legitimate but don’t give them any reason to get out on a technicality. This might help. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/uk-lockdown-work-rights-employment-safe-unsafe-a9508271.html%3famp

5 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Our contracts are near pointless. When I was working overseas I pointed out that the contract made it impossible for them to release me for my performance or lack thereof and they said they knew and it's a problem in all the contracts they write.

I’d love a contract like that.

My new work laptop, which I’m getting because of my manager’s lies, is almost ready. Today, the head of my department messaged me and asked if I can go to the office for it or whether I need someone to get it for me (which I’m hearing second-hand means she’d be getting it for me) and deliver it to me at home.

Now, my manager and another colleague are saying I’ve got to go and get it because initial logon on a new device has to be done on the company’s wired network or something. And I’d feel bad putting another staff member out having to drive to the Black Country just to deliver it to me. But I also don’t fancy a three hour round trip on public transport at the moment, and the staff member dropping the laptop to me would be doing so in their own car.

Also, my office is open as of yesterday and they’re doing the alternate Team A/Team B thing for access, but they haven’t yet told us which one is allowed in on which days. So I don’t even know when I can go and get it.

• Paid Members
On 5/31/2020 at 5:16 PM, scratchdj said:

I was surprised how satisfying, and effective, a loud, deep bellow of  “Shut the fuccccccck up!!!” was. Haven’t heard them since. It’s also done wonders for my wellbeing.

I've been so close to one of these for the last week or two. The downstairs neighbours constantly have people round, while next door have an outdoor walkway to their front door that goes right past my living room window - even at the best of times, I get pissed off with her standing out there watching videos on her phone at full volume every time she goes out for a fag, but during lockdown she's spending the entire day on there. Phone calls on loudspeaker, watching shit TV on her phone, her and her kid shouting down to her fella in the car park two storeys down, and on two occasions trying to have a fucking barbecue, on a covered walkway barely two foot wide and directly in front of my window. I honestly think she hasn't actually left her flat beyond that little stretch of concrete for two months. I always feel like I'm only a beer or two away from shouting at her to shut the fuck up.

I just got an invitation to a meeting called "Negotiating a safe exit from lockdown" at work on 17th June. Bearing in mind that it's 3rd June and I'm sat in my office at work, and on 8th June we'll have students back in. An exercise in post-bolting horse door management.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

We're not going to make it, are we?

As a species, I mean.

The human race doesn’t deserve to. Like, if in 2020 people still don’t think it’s a bad idea to ingest bleach, then there’s just no fucking hope.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

We're not going to make it, are we?

As a species, I mean.

It's in your nature to destroy each other.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

It's in your nature to destroy each other.

On the other hand If there's one thing the history of evolution has taught us, it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories, and crashes through barriers painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, erm, well, life will find a way.