Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

My two-bit, nothing town in Germany has made the big time. I'm back in lockdown. 

BBC News - Coronavirus: Germany outbreak sparks fresh local lockdown
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53149762

You can't pack meat and social distance it seems. 

50 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

My two-bit, nothing town in Germany has made the big time. I'm back in lockdown. 

BBC News - Coronavirus: Germany outbreak sparks fresh local lockdown
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53149762

All those courgettes'll come in handy now, Welsh!

43 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

You can't pack meat and social distance it seems. 

Most of the workers are shipped over from the East and housed together in high-rises. The less-than-comfortable conditions might even be useful in containing it. The rozzers had our local ghetto sealed and quarantined 3 days ago already. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

The majority of pubs I drink in, including my local are cosy little boozers where social distancing would be impossible. Can't see them reopening ending well.

Some proper fucking dives everywhere too. How many pubs have you been in where you can't swing a cat in the toilets or queue at the bar without being in someone's lap. That's without all the people who don't wash their hands.

Still, there's an element of personal choice. We won't be rushing to drink and eat out for a good while yet.

So anti-vaxxer Novak Djokovic organised a tennis tournament with fans present and no social distancing in the middle of a pandemic which has managed to infect four players, including himself, plus two of his support staff, his wife, and presumably Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

1YR7nh0.png

17 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I work in a theatre, we still don't actually know what is supposed to be happening for us. 

Yes, I saw that. OK to operate but NOT to put on live performances? As you're on the inside, can you clarify how that works? It sounds to me like "Sure, you can operate, pay all your overheads and pay wages, but you won't have any money coming in."

It still feels like not enough has changed in terms of the virus' effects and our country's handling of it. As far as I can see, the death and infection rates are still way too high (with the Government's figure disregarding Covid-related deaths), testing is still way too low, recurring infections are on the increase across the world pushing our own response even furtehr behind the curve, with no plan or end in sight beyond natural progression, i.e. the herd immunity that's the Voldemort of Covid treatment. It seems purely economic, and massively heightens the risk of another wave of infections, further deaths, further stress on the NHS, and further economic turmoil..

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Yes, I saw that. OK to operate but NOT to put on live performances? As you're on the inside, can you clarify how that works? It sounds to me like "Sure, you can operate, pay all your overheads and pay wages, but you won't have any money coming in."

As far as I am aware, and I'm only middle management in a regional theatre, we can open on July 4th as long as we have social distancing/covid plans in place. However we can't have live shows, only prerecorded shows and films. And the audience needs to be distanced from each other. At even 1metre between groups it will reduce potential audience to a scary degree. 

We will be lucky to have shows on by October. And even the Christmas pantomime looks under threat this year.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

However we can't have live shows

I mean, what's the point? Theatre is entirely about live performances!

So looking at the list of things that can open: pubs, barbers, restaurants, bingo halls, cinemas, community centres, theme parks, arcades, wildlife centres, model fucking villages (they still exist??). 

Outdoor facilities at sports centres? Nope. Fucking bullshit.

I can't coach my players outside at our sports centre (socially distanced, of course) but Karen can pop over to a heaving Mecca to get her four corners win. Gotcha.