Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

40 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

So they've said non essential shops in Leicester are to close for another 2 weeks, but the horse racing is still going on there today? 

Am I the only one thinking they made this decision by either sticking a pin into a map, or picking a town name out of a hat? 

It’s almost as if the horse racing industry with its headquarters in Newmarket made sizeable donations to the Newmarket MP who also happens to be health secretary. 

53 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Everyone from Leicester are just going to drive to another town/city aren't they. They can't possibly stop or control that, can they?

Working near Leicester town centre and it's still busy out. Combine wishy washy messages from the government and combine it with general stupidity and you'll have the kind of ignorance you can currently on the streets of L-Town. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Am I the only one thinking they made this decision by either sticking a pin into a map, or picking a town name out of a hat? 

Pretty sure that's how they do ALL their decisions no?

I always imagined some kind of spinning around blindfolded and sticking a pin in something, or having a wheel they spin daily.

15 hours ago, BomberPat said:

extremely high population density, plus livestock generally being kept in closer quarters to large numbers of people than we're used to here, plus lax regulation on meat.

It's actually nothing new, even the Black Death originated from China they think (although that's simplifying it a bit) however as now it was Europe where it did the most damage. 

16 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Pretty sure that's how they do ALL their decisions no?

I always imagined some kind of spinning around blindfolded and sticking a pin in something, or having a wheel they spin daily.

We’ll know for sure once the Holy Stone of Chlonrichert gets upgraded again

• Paid Members

Cancelled our family holiday to Greece last week. Lost the deposit, but wasn't prepared to take a risk. Gutted, it was going to be the first ever holiday abroad for just the four of us. If only I'd conceived a PM as offspring...

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Cancelled our family holiday to Greece last week. Lost the deposit, but wasn't prepared to take a risk. Gutted, it was going to be the first ever holiday abroad for just the four of us. If only I'd conceived a PM as offspring...

Could always eat a bollock on the telly mate, amazing what people’ll let slide for that.  Instantly transformed from cunt into ‘character’.

Edited by John Matrix

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Cancelled our family holiday to Greece last week. Lost the deposit, but wasn't prepared to take a risk.

When were you due to fly out? I'm heading to Spain at the end of the month and still have every intention of going. 

47 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Later this month. There isn't any point, it's not going to be anywhere near the holiday we originally envisaged when we booked, and for quite a lot of money for us.

I guess that's true. I'm going to leave mines until as late as possible before cancelling. Nothing to lose really in doing so.

We have a cottage booked in the Lakes for september, really hope we are not back in lockdown. Not keen on any holidays the involve flying for a good while mind. We have an apartment in the Algarve so will miss that but fuck it, cases are starting to creep up in the village out there. 

• Paid Members

I took the chance and flew out to Tenerife yesterday (having already rescheduled it, so losing any chance of a refund).

There is literally two places open to eat at, and their masking rules are strictly enforced, but with my sanity crumbling from working from home, I really needed a break.

• Paid Members

Turns out it's not quite as mental as it seems as they aren't changing the licensing hours, so no booze before 11am. It's just the penny dropped that some pubs were planning to open at a minute past midnight and welcome people who'd spent all of Friday evening preloading at home.

Incidentally, the government haven't actually yet published the changes to the law that make it legal to open the pubs again or say what if anything they must do differently to normal. There's plenty of guidance but no sign of the actual legal regulations.

Edited by JNLister