Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

She spins more than Malcom Tucker on the fucking waltzer.

I honestly think it’s her trying to keep a completely neutral tone and not cast judgement, which is hugely problematic with the current government as it gives lies the same value as the truth. It ends up making the bullshit they spout seem credible. 

Edited by RedRooster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I honestly think it’s her trying to keep a completely neutral tone and not cast judgement, which is hugely problematic with the current government as it gives lies the same value as the truth. It ends up making the bullshit they spout seem credible. 

The problem is she replied directly to the story with comments from her 'source'. It read like a rebuttal from the government. The BBC political editor should not be doing that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I honestly think it’s her trying to keep a completely neutral tone and not cast judgement, which is hugely problematic with the current government as it gives lies the same value as the truth. It ends up making the bullshit they spout seem credible. 

She really isn't neutral anymore. During that last election where she doxxed the guy on Twitter who confronted Boris Johnson in the hospital she lost any last claim to neutrality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Factotum said:

The problem is she replied directly to the story with comments from her 'source'. It read like a rebuttal from the government. The BBC political editor should not be doing that. 

I know, which is why I said this on the previous page: 

Quote

I generally think Laura K gets an unfairly hard time but her approach to this story, at least initially, has been a little strange. She appeared to rebuff the person who broke the story’s tweet by replying with something that very much read like spin, quoting an anonymous ‘source’ which feels rather inappropriate in this circumstance.

Bias in this case is an extremely strong allegation and I don’t subscribe to it. However, that doesn’t mean I think she, or the BBC, have done a particularly good job at covering this crisis from a political perspective.

I think the BBC has struggled to apply its balance guidelines to covering a government of charlatans, and in some circumstances these guidelines have led to the beeb trying to cater for a segment of the audience that is either wilfully ignorant or, in some cases, filled with hate. 

Edited by RedRooster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I wouldn't worry, he would have to be invited in before he could enter a house

terrific elijah wood GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bias? Kuenssberg? Naaa

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Bias? Kuenssberg? Naaa

 

I’ve seen that thrown about but I really don’t think it’s a fair comparison. In all likelihood she’s complimenting the person who wrote the story, who she’s quote tweeting.

On top of that, there already is an outcome and Neil Ferguson has no clear political affililiation.

And I think that’s the problem with the Cummings story. The BBC and Laura K are treating it as a political story, and while it obviously is there’s a more black-and-white aspect of it that they’re missing, it’s a story about whether or not a man broke clearly set out rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

@RedRooster Don't think Kuenssbergs going to shag you dude.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending her for the hell of it. The ‘biased BBC’ narrative very much suits the stories. Because if the left think it, it adds legitimacy to when they make the claim (eg. that Panorama documentary they didn’t like involving ‘Labour activists’)

It also suits the stories in another way. It’s no secret that Cummings favours a move towards a US style system of news delivery. Creating apathy in the left towards the abolishment of the BBC in its current form makes it easier for them to neuter the organisation’s news output without much public opposition, before reshaping broadcast news delivery in a way that would allow corporations to have influence over output. 

A bit long winded, but that’s why I think you have to be careful before throwing bias around. We all have personal biases, but whether or not it affects BBC reporting is another question entirely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending her for the hell of it. The ‘biased BBC’ narrative very much suits the stories. Because if the left think it, it adds legitimacy to when they make the claim (eg. that Panorama documentary they didn’t like involving ‘Labour activists’)

It also suits the stories in another way. It’s no secret that Cummings favours a move towards a US style system of news delivery. Creating apathy in the left towards the abolishment of the BBC in its current form makes it easier for them to neuter the organisation’s news output without much public opposition, before reshaping broadcast news delivery in a way that would allow corporations to have influence over output. 

A bit long winded, but that’s why I think you have to be careful before throwing bias around. We all have personal biases, but whether or not it affects BBC reporting is another question entirely. 

Instead of writing that diatribe, you could have just said:

"I agree. She's bias"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

We all have personal biases, but whether or not it affects BBC reporting is another question entirely. 

It absolutely does. Not an isolated issue is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Instead of writing that diatribe, you could have just said:

"I agree. She's bias"

Or the opposite to that, which is what I actually said.

@SuperBacon - I don’t think her reporting is biased, but I don’t think she’s been particularly good throughout this crisis. I think she treats government spin as fact all too often, but that fits BBC guidelines of presenting both sides in a neutral manner and allowing the audience to make up their minds.

Anyway, this is taking the focus away from what actually matters here - namely, whether or not Cummings is a hypocritical, selfish twunt who should resign. To which the answer is ‘obviously’.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Or the opposite to that, which is what I actually said.

@SuperBacon - I don’t think her reporting is biased, but I don’t think she’s been particularly good throughout this crisis. I think she treats government spin as fact all too often, but that fits BBC guidelines of presenting both sides in a neutral manner and allowing the audience to make up their minds.

Anyway, this is taking the focus away from what actually matters here - namely, whether or not Cummings is a hypocritical, selfish twunt who should resign. To which the answer is ‘obviously’.

I know what you said.

I was writing what you could have said.

She's bias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...