The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

As much as I love Kingston and Moxley, Proud and Powerful are the team to take the belts from the Bucks. Have a couple of scorchers with FTR over the summer and then go murder those flippy pricks.

12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

1.09 million viewers. Number 1 on cable.

But more importantly, can we all agree that these are some cool, bad ass motherfuckers?

57304201-5A53-47F5-AEA5-BC04F218F752.thumb.jpeg.df345b78696a92785b2abe89308cd9c3.jpeg

Santana is money as a babyface, pure fire when he bowled into the ring and just started taking on everyone. Could easily see him as heavyweight champ in a few years, he'd be a perfect foil for MJF in a title feud. 

Santana is everything. Cool, believable, an excellent talker, capable of being funny and in-ring he's got that rare gift of being every bit as smooth as he can be aggressive. 

He's perfect for AEW in that he can get those opportunities to play in singles as well as in Proud and Powerful. If they're going to keep Jericho off TV for a bit then having Santana and Sammy Guevara be the focal points of Inner Circle could reap some decent rewards.

I loved the first two thirds of Blood and Guts. Really captured that visceral energy of the classic wargames matches and hearing proper crowds again made the whole thing so electrifying. It was great to hear the star reactions to Sammy, Santana/Ortiz and MJF. They all got elevated. 

It's funny reading all the backlash to the crash mat spot. It barely registered with me. I was too busy being fucking MAD that they left the cage and climbed it in the first place. Fucks sake lads, it's the first one! Keep it inside. All that drawn out shit at the end didn't fit the tone of the match at all and it was so disappointing to watch it play out. It all went a bit NXT/WWE, all contrived, like. Very deflating and antithetical to the wild, heated brawl it was before. It's my fault for being an old knobhead I guess, expecting Sting's Squadron vs Dangerous Alliance. And Jericho did flat out say this would be it's own thing to be fair to him. But AEW need a strong curator yesterday.

Was Chris already on the piss up? I've never seen Jericho like that before. He was worryingly bad in that match.

I fell in love with Orange Cassidy all over again last week so I'm all over this OC vs Omega match. (Although it's Omega vs Kingston in the ideal world.) The Penta match was cracking last week and it's generally the most vital OC's felt since last February. It must be that bloody Pixies song.

• Paid Members

That's not really how viewership works. You don't knock 6m off the Eastenders Xmas special because they watched last week. It's obvious what they mean.

Agree with David, the up 18% looks great for them in a presser because last week was massively down due to the Biden address.

• Paid Members

This seems like a rather strange criticism to lobby about. I get that it is probably a traditional thing that the champion should carry the belt, but doesn't Nakazawa carrying the Impact and AAA titles play 100% into his character? Surely the Omega character sees the AEW belt as his main focus and the other belts are just souvenirs that he not all that bothered about? I hardly see Impact management seeing it as a diss when the Two Tonys have been slating Impact for months now.

image.png.90070be89e10811d63fab661617ddc3b.png 

6 minutes ago, Nick James said:

This seems like a rather strange criticism to lobby about. I get that it is probably a traditional thing that the champion should carry the belt, but doesn't Nakazawa carrying the Impact and AAA titles play 100% into his character? Surely the Omega character sees the AEW belt as his main focus and the other belts are just souvenirs that he not all that bothered about? I hardly see Impact management seeing it as a diss when the Two Tonys have been slating Impact for months now.

image.png.90070be89e10811d63fab661617ddc3b.png 

All this has done is given me the idea that I might like a string of old Impact 'legends' lining up for a crack at Omega, with Callis and Omega clinging onto the belts while proclaiming by beating the old faces they're unmaking Impact or something, only to have a chosen one from the current crop finally topple him.

• Paid Members

Booker T made a similar argument how Impact gained nothing from putting the belt on Omega, because it made them look second-rate to have their champion lose, and your champion should always be stronger than anyone else.

It's partly them being stuck in an older way of doing things, but also failing to recognise where Impact's spot on the pecking order is. Recognising that they're not competition to WWE, nor trying to be, has arguably been the best thing Impact have ever done, because it's allowed them to just concentrate on making good telly and not really taking themselves too seriously, and (commentary aside) for me they've been the most watchable they've ever been. It also plays into Kenny Omega's character, who absolutely would think Impact was beneath him, and that sets up a babyface to eventually come and topple him and bring the title back home. It couldn't be more obvious.

Also, I wonder if they'd say the same were it Don Callis carrying the belts. I don't think there's anything wrong with a champion offloading their title belts on a stooge/manager, but maybe it's the idea of Nakazawa as a jobber wrestler more than as Omega's second than colours that idea. It does rob them of the image of a champion covered in title belts, which always looks great.