The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

This would be funnier if she was one of the top female heels in NXT but she's not so it comes across as really weird

Why would it be funnier if she was a top female? I don't get the correlation. Other than that, she was in the main event of NXT this week, doing crazy dives and bumps from high things in a street fight. Admittedly, it was a lot more dangerous that the spot from Dynamite, but it's hardly some random NXT underling having a pop out of nowhere. 

I've thought more about it all day and I think they should have just completely avoided the spot in total. It's completely taken away from the fantastic job that all 10 men did inside that match, some stellar work in some parts and the match as a whole felt completely different to what we have seen in years. 

The Spears headshot with the chair should be talked about more than the Jericho spot.

If they were to do the spot, it would have been more effective for Jericho to land on the other guys rather than the crash pad, either that or just have the camera on MJF's face. Mind you, then they would have been panned for 'missing the spot'.

Also, how good is Taz? I feel like it's something I say often, but what a talent Taz is. From being an obnoxious, angry manager with small man syndrome, to being hilarious on Comms on Dark, he's a really underrated talent. 

• Paid Members

Yeah. Trim ten minutes and abandon the big bump entirely and that was a belter of a main event. Everyone looked great, it felt like a real, gritty fight, Sammy Guevara built more momentum than he’s had in months and Wardlow and Hager got a bigger reaction doing the Austin/Rock staredown spot than Orton and Cena ever did. But now all anyone is talking about is how you exclusively either shag bouncy castles or you want people to literally die for your entertainment.

Wardlow should’ve just killed everyone in the final few minutes and made one of them give up with some mad submission. Maybe that Brock Lock thing Lesnar used to do.

I understand why the big bump is getting all the attention and discussion, but honestly, I thought that drawn out period where the babyfaces were killing the heels for what felt like ten straight minutes once Jericho entered the match was by far the worst part. I don’t know if it was them trying to pace it around the advert breaks or what but I was getting some serious Bret vs. Vince vibes before MJF escaped the cage. Awful psychology to have the heels take such a beating for such a long time that I end up feeling sorry for them.

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, Tsurutagun said:

This would be funnier if she was one of the top female heels in NXT but she's not so it comes across as really weird

I think it makes it even funnier. If she is so insignificant then why are the babies so bothered. Top level trolling with the desired response. 

1 hour ago, Brudaker said:

Don't really see how saying story is important is similar to saying it doesn't matter if we finish stories. Seems to me like those two points of view are pretty contradictory.  

You’ve misunderstood - what you seemed to imply was that the way the stunt looked wasn’t important because of the story, and I don’t think that’s hugely different from taking the WWE approach of thinking that it’s acceptable to ignore plot threads.

In each situation it’s ignoring details that  you think don’t matter - and that’s not a good place to be because inevitably someone out there thinks that they do. And in each case it’s avoidable, so why do it? 

1 hour ago, Tsurutagun said:

Tbf that's a "they have too many people on the roster" problem. I think QT is massively underrated. He was great in the street fight against Butcher and Blade and whenever he wrestles on Dark those matches are very easy watches.

That argument would hold more water if there weren’t better, more marketable wrestlers sitting on the sidelines. It’s not a ‘too many wrestler’ problem, it’s a nepotism problem.

• Paid Members

The Shotzi tweet is such a silly, innocuous dig. If you’re an AEW fan rising to that I can only assume you’ve never seen Being the Elite.

Also, Shotzi is absolutely the type of person who can take the piss. She’s only a level or two below Darby Allin for being a complete nutter who’s happy to be in a wheelchair before they reach fifty.

16 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

You’ve misunderstood - what you seemed to imply was that the way the stunt looked wasn’t important because of the story, and I don’t think that’s hugely different from taking the WWE approach of thinking that it’s acceptable to ignore plot threads.

In each situation it’s ignoring details that  you think don’t matter - and that’s not a good place to be because inevitably someone out there thinks that they do. And in each case it’s avoidable, so why do it? 

Might be what you inferred but as I said in my last post that's not what I was saying. If I'm watching a movie or TV show, even wrestling, I'm personally more concerned with the story being compelling than whether it looks fake or not. Thanos doesn't look remotely real but his character and impact on the story around him or no less compelling. If you disagree that's cool but you're currently arguing against a point I'm not trying to make.

I've just watched it back and actually enjoyed it more the second time. It felt more like a war games I enjoyed back in the day more than the choreographed efforts NXT have put on over the last few years. Sure, it was a little disjointed in place but so we're the matches in the early 90's so I kinda dug it. I found the ending fine and would like to see those calling it a bouncy castle volunteering to take the bump! I agree that camera work could/should have been better, I would also liked to have seen some split screen shots once they went to the top of the cage so I could still see the action in the cage. 

I think watching it on FITE was an advantage as I didn't have to deal with picture in picture and I definitely think the match was more suited to PPV. 

choreographed efforts NXT have put on

yeah speaking of "choreographed efforts" how about that springboard dance routine by spears and sammy before finishing off with a spanish fly

36 minutes ago, NavigatorFan said:

I've just watched it back and actually enjoyed it more the second time. It felt more like a war games I enjoyed back in the day more than the choreographed efforts NXT have put on over the last few years. Sure, it was a little disjointed in place but so we're the matches in the early 90's so I kinda dug it. I found the ending fine and would like to see those calling it a bouncy castle volunteering to take the bump! I agree that camera work could/should have been better, I would also liked to have seen some split screen shots once they went to the top of the cage so I could still see the action in the cage. 

I think watching it on FITE was an advantage as I didn't have to deal with picture in picture and I definitely think the match was more suited to PPV. 

I don't get this at all, it's too close to "don't criticize unless you can do it yourself".

I know I can't but I can still see if it looks shit, the same way I know if a movie is bad while not being able to make one myself. If it's a bump that could well hurt him as well as looking bad then it's doubly worse. The production guys failed him here, both through camera shots and how they built the thing.

Edited by Merzbow

2 hours ago, Brudaker said:

Might be what you inferred but as I said in my last post that's not what I was saying. If I'm watching a movie or TV show, even wrestling, I'm personally more concerned with the story being compelling than whether it looks fake or not. Thanos doesn't look remotely real but his character and impact on the story around him or no less compelling. If you disagree that's cool but you're currently arguing against a point I'm not trying to make.

That’s…not exactly what you said though:

[QUOTE]Honestly the debate around the Jericho bump is odd. Sure the production could have been better but where are all these incredible cage bumps that weren't obviously onto pads? I haven't bought into any stunt bump in decades but that doesn't matter in wrestling today, we all know it's a work. What matters is the story and the characters and in my opinion this nails it.[/QUOTE]

You were passing comment on the wider debate, rather than specifically stating your personal opinion. What I’m saying is that the debate is perfectly valid.

Edited by RedRooster

Not entirely sure what your point is dude but as this is a forum I'd assume all debate is valid, I wasn't saying otherwise.

For the sake of clarity I'll rephrase. My personal opinion is that the vast majority of stunt bumps in the last few years have looked exactly as safe and staged as this one and I personally think it's odd that it's being so heavily criticised when the story around it is so good.