The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Moving their production to the only state left in the country that had a governor idiotic enough to let them run (even more idiotic than Florida at the time) was a pretty sleazy move.

The company has been very open in saying that if they didn't do those Georgia shows (that were filmed over one weekend with a skeleton crew) they wouldn't of been able to fulfil the legal obligations of their TNT contract, they would be cancelled, the company would have gone under and everyone would have lost their jobs. What was the alternative?

Edited by LaGoosh

5 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

The company has been very open in saying that if they didn't do those Georgia shows (that were filmed over one weekend with a skeleton crew) they wouldn't of been able to fulfil the legal obligations of their TNT contract, they would be cancelled, the company would have gone under and everyone would have lost their jobs. What was the alternative?

No human being on earth, beyond the most delusional of AEW fan trolls, would believe that a major TV company would cancel a tv show, especially one as successful as Dynamite, putting hundreds of people out of work at the start of a global pandemic as thousands and thousands of people are dying because that company didn’t want to have its workers get half naked, roll around on top of each other and drip bodily fluids into each other’s mouths for a week or two.

You honestly believe that TNT wouldn’t have given them a week or two airing clip shows or repeats while they figured something out? They’d just be like, oh...I see all these people all over the world are dying, but you must continue with the sharing of bodily fluids even though the story will get out that we cancelled you and we will look look like a) complete pieces of shit for risking peoples lives and b) total morons for cancelling one of our cheapest and most successful shows. It’s preposterous. This isn’t Danny Dyer pissing about on The Wall.

Did you believe Kenny designed the bomb as well?

Edited by Yakashi

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

No human being on earth, beyond the most delusional of AEW fan trolls, would believe that a TV company would cancel a tv show, especially one as successful as Dynamite, putting hundreds of people out of work at the start of a global pandemic as thousands and thousands of people are dying because that company didn’t want to have its workers get half naked, roll around on top of each other and drip bodily fluids into each other’s mouths.

Screenshot_20210510_002700.jpg

20 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Screenshot_20210510_002700.jpg

Imagine thinking this is the same thing. I guess you just did a google and no actual research? GLOW was cancelled, for several reasons actually (location, cost, dwindling popularity, timescales), but one of them was the exact opposite of what we’re saying here. They cancelled it because they didn’t want sweaty humans leaking fluids into each other. Supposedly TNT would cancel dynamite because they demanded the ingestion of other peoples fluids instead which would force AEW to find someone stupid enough to let them have their talent travel hundreds of miles to their state to put on the super important fake wrestling show.

It’s a totally different scenario. It would be similar if Netflix had said, “right you’ve got two weeks to get this filmed and if you don’t we’re going to cancel you. We don’t care that you can’t do it responsibly or that you’re going to put peoples lives in danger, you’re going to have to do it”, but they didn’t. Of course TNT didn’t say that either, but for some reason some people are convinced that’s what happened.

I don’t doubt Tony was worried it might happen. But I don’t believe for one second that anyone at TNT told them that if they didn’t produce a new tv show with human beings rubbing up against each other in their pants just as everything across the country was shut down, that they’d have their contract terminated. 

Edited by Yakashi

• Paid Members

You're the only one talking about body fluids (which is a very odd take) . LaGoosh stated that if they didn't produce the show they'd get cancelled by the network. Glow was cancelled by their network, like a lot of other shows last year, because it was cheaper to stop filming altogether than to delay filming and continue to pay wages with no finished product being delivered, something that was a very real possibility

Networks don't care about the why of a show not being produced. If its costing them money with no return they'll sack it off. 

Glow was cancelled in October. Months and months after filming had stopped and everything was shut down. AEW went to Georgia in April, just as everything was shut down. It was week one. It’s not comparable at all. You’d have a point if AEW had been off the air with no shows for months. But this was literally the first week when this was all new. If Tony had gone to TNT and said we don’t have a local venue, we don’t want to make talent travel around the country, we don’t want to force them to make physical contact in a maskless environment and risk the health of our talent, do you honestly think, on week one, that TNT would have said no you have to do it or you’re cancelled?

And you don’t see the difference with producing a show like the chase vs wrestling. People standing apart answering questions vs half naked people rubbing up and down on each other covered in sweat? The physical contact part is cited as one of the main reasons glow was cancelled. It’s a virus spread through touch and closeness. Come on.

It sounds like I'm properly hammering AEW but this was one of maybe two things I thought they did wrong in the pandemic. They've been mostly fantastic and were light years ahead of WWE. Tony should be really proud how they've handled most things the last year. I just don't buy the line about being cancelled for not producing one show. It's a bullshit excuse for doing something he knew was wrong and was called out for.

Edited by Yakashi

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Yakashi said:

Glow was cancelled in October. Months and months after filming had stopped and everything was shut down. AEW went to Georgia in April, just as everything was shut down. It was week one. It’s not comparable at all. You’d have a point if AEW had been off the air with no shows for months. But this was literally the first week when this was all new. If Tony had gone to TNT and said we don’t have a local venue, we don’t want to make talent travel around the country, we don’t want to force them to make physical contact in a maskless environment and risk the health of our talent, do you honestly think, on week one, that TNT would have said no you have to do it or you’re cancelled?

And you don’t see the difference with producing a show like the chase vs wrestling. People standing apart answering questions vs half naked people rubbing up and down on each other covered in sweat? The physical contact part is cited as one of the main reasons glow was cancelled. It’s a virus spread through touch and closeness. Come on.

It sounds like I'm properly hammering AEW but this was one of maybe two things I thought they did wrong in the pandemic. They've been mostly fantastic and were light years ahead of WWE. Tony should be really proud how they've handled most things the last year. I just don't buy the line about being cancelled for not producing one show. It's a bullshit excuse for doing something he knew was wrong and was called out for.

TL:DR You have no idea how TV contracts and networks are run.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Yakashi said:

sounds like I'm properly hammering AEW but this was one of maybe two things I thought they did wrong in the pandemic

Well no one caught COVID at the two day Georgia tapings so who gives a fuck. Obviously the precautions they took worked.

And if you don't see why a brand new company without a proven built in fan base stopping their television show for a potentially long period couldn't have led to them going out of business then I don't know what to tell you. TNT is a major network and cancels shows all the time. There's a long list of shows that were cancelled due to COVID. Even Meltzer reported that if Dynamite had gone off the air it would have been highly unlikely that it would have been brought back. And it wasn't "missing one week", they filmed 6 weeks in two days to give themselves the time they needed to prepare and plan how to safely run tapings in Jacksonville to keep the company alive. If the Khan's didn't own Dailys Place the company would probably be dead now.

Fact is, the US is opening up fast and if you're uncomfortable seeing fans at shows then you probably shouldn't watch them until you are.

Edited by LaGoosh

I can't decide if Alvarez is a gimmick or inches away from a breakdown. 

His latest thing was that anybody who didn't like the ending of Blood and Guts shouldn't watch Dynamite. As if most of his audience aren't made up of people hate watching RAW every week and AEW just has people jumping onto crash mats every segment. 

• Paid Members

And just to add to that @LaGoosh, no one knew if the shut down was going to last 6 weeks or 6 months. They gave themselves as much content as they could get to give them breathing space and, like you say, it kept them afloat. And on top of that, he gave work to a load of independent wrestlers who had no way of making their next rent due to all their booked shows being cancelled. AEW did a lot of good, even if AEW Dark then became a 3 hour show.

The wrestling industry by its nature is paranoid. I read stories that Vince thought FOX would cancel Smackdown if they didn't keep running so I can buy Tony and AEW thinking that TNT would cancel them if they didn't air new programming. 

I watched the show form ITV this week, chuffing ad breaks and they kept the match going so it went straight to Hagar and missed Wardlows entry then after final ad break MJF is on top of the cage with no explination. Is the full match on the downloadable version anyone?

It's been a rough week for me so just catching up with all of the fall out of Blood And Guts. 

My take on the whole Jericho situation and the finish controversy surrounding it was that how it was shot and how the finish itself was executed could have been so much better done. 

I remember Tony Khan getting giddy with excitement on Twitter about how he was so clever with ripping up carpet and putting it at ringside having a pop at WWE for Wrestlemania weather and slips. 

Now they could have set up that crash area so completely different. The set up of it. The components going into the crash. You could have had multiple stacked up tables which would have slowed down and lessened an impact on the floor. About 10 tables high would probably have been enough. General fag packet maths and physics.

You could have had a movie props company have soft sponge like  material made to look like big rolls of lightning, and electrical cabling for the TV production stacked up in a corner of the ringside area. Jericho could fall onto that and it not look like a crash mat but soft enough to absorb impact without any injuries. 

Tony and his dad aren't skint. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

I watched the show form ITV this week, chuffing ad breaks and they kept the match going so it went straight to Hagar and missed Wardlows entry then after final ad break MJF is on top of the cage with no explination. Is the full match on the downloadable version anyone?

Yeah you should be able to find a torrent for the full match fairly easily. That's the one I watched the day after.