The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

35 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

The whole not allowing extras to wear masks thing was a bit cunty. 

I seem to remember that WWE had the PC extras wear masks but still a bunch had the masks off because getting their faces on television was obviously more important than the health of their colleagues. 

5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

71,000 at the Canelo Alvarez fight overnight at the AT&T. A record indoor boxing crowd in the US.

Let's remember this stuff when pretending wrestling companies are doing something others aren't. 

Where’s the pretending? This is a thread about AEW, not mass participation events in general, which is why I’m specifically criticising AEW on this occasion. The fact other organisations are doing the same thing doesn’t make the criticism any less valid. 

4 hours ago, Louch said:

One vaccine resistant mutation could come along at any time in the future. Things have to reopen eventually 

Then why do anything to curb the spread of COVID at all?

‘Bad things can happen, so why try to stop them?’ isn’t a particularly compelling argument, particularly given that there is a clear route out of this pandemic.

The fact of the matter is, a vaccine rollout is underway right now, and there are countless studies underway on how to safely hold mass participation events safely. The advice on this will be pretty clear soon enough.

There will be a ‘right time’ to hold full capacity live events, but until the science tells us when that is we should avoid it. As we’ve seen time and time again during this pandemic, the progress you’ve made counts for nothing if you rush things. The last thing we need right now is another avoidable setback.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Michael_3165 said:

Also why was the war games cage match on free TV? Is this normal? 

It’s sweeps in America where the networks are able to discuss advertising rates and the better shows perform during sweeps the more they can ask for advertising and attract new sponsors.

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Where’s the pretending? This is a thread about AEW, not mass participation events in general, which is why I’m specifically criticising AEW on this occasion. The fact other organisations are doing the same thing doesn’t make the criticism any less valid. 

Then why do anything to curb the spread of COVID at all?

‘Bad things can happen, so why try to stop them?’ isn’t a particularly compelling argument, particularly given that there is a clear route out of this pandemic.

The fact of the matter is, a vaccine rollout is underway right now, and there are countless studies underway on how to safely hold mass participation events safely. The advice on this will be pretty clear soon enough.

There will be a ‘right time’ to hold full capacity live events, but until the science tells us when that is we should avoid it. As we’ve seen time and time again during this pandemic, the progress you’ve made counts for nothing if you rush things. The last thing we need right now is another avoidable setback.

Without turning this into a Covid thread, even with 100% vaccinated you can still get the virus as we know it. You get to a point where you have to balance risk based on mitigation than elimination. The say 5000 there won’t be taking turns shaking hands and coughing at each other. It’s outdoors and we have seen over here that even the unregulated mass gatherings outdoors haven’t led to spikes. At some point things have to reopen, if you aren’t comfortable with what opens only do things you want to do. Doenst mean everyone else waits forever 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Two Qs 

I am considering watching aew and wonder what the key 'good' parts are? Gimmicks, stories etc. 

Also why was the war games cage match on free TV? Is this normal? 

- watch the Revolution 2020 PPV. If you enjoy that you'll probably like most that AEW has to offer.

- the main revenue stream for the company is its TV deal so ratings are more important than PPV buys.

28 minutes ago, Louch said:

Without turning this into a Covid thread, even with 100% vaccinated you can still get the virus as we know it. You get to a point where you have to balance risk based on mitigation than elimination.

There’s a lot to pick apart here, but I’ll start with this claim. You hear it a lot, but it isn’t true. Or at least, we don’t know for sure if it’s true (link: gov.uk site) - it’s too early to say how effective the vaccine is in that respect. But it looks promising, and even more promising that the vaccine prevents most virus transmission (link: Nat Geographic), which is why it’s important to wait until enough people have been vaccinated before proceeding with events of this magnitude. There are multiple vaccines, ensuring you hit that golden number is not impossible, although there is the obvious challenge of anti-vaxxers. 

The risk now is that a mutation happens that negates the work that has been done so far. Imagine if that were to happen, and more people were to die simply because people were too impatient when it came to holding a full-crowd event.

Simply put, there is a way out of the current situation, but taking unnecessary risks could move the goalposts even further back. 

28 minutes ago, Louch said:

The say 5000 there won’t be taking turns shaking hands and coughing at each other. It’s outdoors and we have seen over here that even the unregulated mass gatherings outdoors haven’t led to spikes. At some point things have to reopen, if you aren’t comfortable with what opens only do things you want to do. Doenst mean everyone else waits forever 

Except outdoor gatherings elsewhere have led to spikes. Take Trump’s rallies (link: CNBC) during the election campaign, or recent superspreader events in India (link: Daily Sabah) - there’s also a notable difference between the gatherings here (BLM rallies, football title win celebrations etc) and a stadium event - a BLM rally, for example, is not stationary and it’s also less likely to result in a mass gathering of people in an indoor space, such as a toilet or to buy merchandise.

As I’ve mentioned, loads of studies are taking place at the moment to establish how dangerous mass participation events are, and what steps can be taken to hold them safely. The answer to both questions is coming, and it’s coming soon. So for that reason it’s sensible to wait that little bit longer. 

If we fuck up, we kill more people. It’s as simple as that.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

I am considering watching aew and wonder what the key 'good' parts are? Gimmicks, stories etc. 

Best stories have probably been:

- Cody vs Jericho

- Cody vs MJF

- Jericho vs Moxley

- Kenny Omega/Hangman Page vs Young Bucks

- Santana/Ortiz vs Best Friends

- Jericho vs Orange Cassidy

- Darby Allin vs Team Taz

- Dark Orders attempted recruited of Hangman Page.

- MJF and the Inner Circle (which is ongoing)

- heel turn and rise of Britt Baker.

Edited by LaGoosh

11 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Best stories have probably been:

- Cody vs Jericho

- Cody vs MJF

- Jericho vs Moxley

- Kenny Omega/Hangman Page vs Young Bucks

- Santana/Ortiz vs Best Friends

- Jericho vs Orange Cassidy

- Darby Allin vs Team Taz

- Dark Orders attempted recruited of Hangman Page.

- MJF and the Inner Circle (which is ongoing)

- heel turn and rise of Britt Baker.

I’d add Cody vs Brodie Lee and Cody vs Dustin to that, and sub (or supplement) Jericho vs Cassidy with PAC Vs Cassidy, which was the feud that really helped me ‘get’ the Cassidy character.

Edited by RedRooster

20 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

There’s a lot to pick apart here, but I’ll start with this claim. You hear it a lot, but it isn’t true. Or at least, we don’t know for sure if it’s true (link: gov.uk site) - it’s too early to say how effective the vaccine is in that respect. But it looks promising, and even more promising that the vaccine prevents most virus transmission (link: Nat Geographic), which is why it’s important to wait until enough people have been vaccinated before proceeding with events of this magnitude. There are multiple vaccines, ensuring you hit that golden number is not impossible, although there is the obvious challenge of anti-vaxxers. 

The risk now is that a mutation happens that negates the work that has been done so far. Imagine if that were to happen, and more people were to die simply because people were too impatient when it came to holding a full-crowd event.

Simply put, there is a way out of the current situation, but taking unnecessary risks could move the goalposts even further back. 

Except outdoor gatherings elsewhere have led to spikes. Take Trump’s rallies (link: CNBC) during the election campaign, or recent superspreader events in India (link: Daily Sabah) - there’s also a notable difference between the gatherings here (BLM rallies, football title win celebrations etc) and a stadium event - a BLM rally, for example, is not stationary and it’s also less likely to result in a mass gathering of people in an indoor space, such as a toilet or to buy merchandise.

As I’ve mentioned, loads of studies are taking place at the moment to establish how dangerous mass participation events are, and what steps can be taken to hold them safely. The answer to both questions is coming, and it’s coming soon. So for that reason it’s sensible to wait that little bit longer. 

If we fuck up, we kill more people. It’s as simple as that.

You seem very set in your wait forever frame of mind so good luck with that. Others aren’t and want to do things and will. 

15 minutes ago, Louch said:

You seem very set in your wait forever frame of mind so good luck with that. Others aren’t and want to do things and will. 

I’m going to be as kind as I can here as I generally like your posts, but you’ve essentially just done the posting equivalent of saying ‘I know you are, but what am I?’

It’s misrepresenting what I said (and very libertarian of you, intentionally or not) to suggest I’ve even come close to saying ‘wait forever’ - in all likelihood it’s a case of waiting a few more months until an appropriate percentage of people is vaccinated. 

Presenting it as a ‘frame of mind’…well, I’m going to dispute that too. It’s not my opinions I’m sharing, it’s facts from actual scientists, which proved a lot of what you said wrong. There may well be newer evidence that proves what I’ve said wrong, but fuck, man, don’t dismiss the facts in front of you as irrelevant. 

15 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Can we keep all this covid shite to its own thread please

It possibly does merit it’s own thread as this isn’t technically AEW Dynamite chat (though it is AEW related) - but I’ve said what I have to say on the matter. Anything else would be rehashing what I’ve already said.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I’m going to be as kind as I can here as I generally like your posts, but you’ve essentially just done the posting equivalent of saying ‘I know you are, but what am I?’

It’s misrepresenting what I said (and very libertarian of you, intentionally or not) to suggest I’ve even come close to saying ‘wait forever’ - in all likelihood it’s a case of waiting a few more months until an appropriate percentage of people is vaccinated. 

Presenting it as a ‘frame of mind’…well, I’m going to dispute that too. It’s not my opinions I’m sharing, it’s facts from actual scientists, which proved a lot of what you said wrong. There may well be newer evidence that proves what I’ve said wrong, but fuck, man, don’t dismiss the facts in front of you as irrelevant. 

It possibly does merit it’s own thread as this isn’t technically AEW Dynamite chat (though it is AEW related) - but I’ve said what I have to say on the matter. Anything else would be rehashing what I’ve already said.

There's a massive covid-19 thread in Off Topic, fill your boots

6 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

How were they selfish? Seems to me like they've run a very tight ship throughout the pandemic. 

Moving their production to the only state left in the country that had a governor idiotic enough to let them run (even more idiotic than Florida at the time) was a pretty sleazy move. Lack of masks in big crowds of people also wasn’t ideal. They don’t come close to WWEs level of early stupidity, but they’re definitely worse than everyone else that has a tv wrestling show.

Edited by Yakashi