The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

They’re absolutely wasted on Dark/Elevation. I don’t understand why they’re not being used on Dynamite each week, they’re two of the coolest, most consistently entertaining characters in the whole of AEW.

• Paid Members

A home run of a show. These lads are on a run of really, really good telly.

It's not perfect. I love that. There are imperfections all over. It just works anyway.

They've done a great job on the PPV again, while never short changing their TV. That's freshness for you.

Darby Allin's tope bouncing off Miro was magnificent. What a pair these two are. It was great to sit and watch a match and not only not be sure what would happen, but care.

Today's ear worm is Wild Thing by The Troggs for some reason. 

Edited by tiger_rick

24 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

A home run of a show. These lads are on a run of really, really good telly.

It's not perfect. I love that. There are imperfections all over. It just works anyway.

They've done a great job on the PPV again, while never short changing their TV. That's freshness for you.

Darby Allin's tope bouncing off Miro was magnificent. What a pair these two are. It was great to sit and watch a match and not only not be sure what would happen, but care.

Today's ear worm is Wild Thing by The Troggs for some reason. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head exactly as to why AEW is just working better than WWE at the moment.

(1) It's not perfect. Are there a few things they could do better? Absolutely, and I hope they do. But it's not the slick well oiled predictable machine that WWE is either. You know exactly what you're going to get on RAW or Smackdown, and while the latter is usually consistently good I do think the presentation and the same old phrases and advertising etc is by far the worst part of Smackdown. RAW on the other hand is just shit. No one minds imperfections too much if the damn thing is enjoyable.

(2) AEW have done an incredible job of making the fans invested in their talent. It's annoying because WWE had a very big head start and you'd think they'd be capable of having fans invested in their "superstars" but the fact is they rarely bother. From constant rematches to tag matches to whatever else, they just don't give the audience the chance to be invested in anything genuine on screen. At least not as much as we'd all like. AEW have managed to achieve it on a far more regular basis and while my heart will always be with WWE (much like your favourite football team), I cannot argue that Dynamite and AEW in general are light years ahead of the majority of what other competition throw out there.

• Paid Members

Darbys matches make me feel super uncomfortable, in the best way. There is no way he is having a long career, but the effort he puts in to make the matched good, is tremendous. Miro looked the best he has ever looked since his debut way back in NXT with the Legionnaires. 

One match show for me, wasn't too bothered about the other segments outside of Britt and Hangmans video packages. Not struck on Moxleys 'Wild Thing' music, if that's going to be a regular thing, or is it his NJPW theme? I liked his AEW theme, was one of the more recognizable ones.

Jericho bobbed down in the truck behind Sammy taking away the surprise I found absolutely hilarious in the best way, as mentioned above, some of the not so slick things AEW does just makes them more endearing in an 'anything can happen' way. Not bothered for the tired old trope of the beer / milk / champagne cannon.

Daniels bled a gusher like I haven't seen for ages, was it hardway? 

• Paid Members

I love it when someone wins a belt and it sets their look off perfectly. Look at this beast.

30CC7901-9207-4D6E-B5EB-2856438ACDB5.thumb.jpeg.5db5c2e546e8f6bbf113691d5024f650.jpeg

Considering it’s barely even a year old it’s mightily impressive how many great matches, moments, elevations and rubs that TNT belt has created.

Edited by Supremo

Very happy with Miro.

Haven’t seen the match yet, but either winner in that match I’d have been happy with.

18 months ago I didn’t know most of the talent in AEW, however now care more about them, and the storylines they’re involved in, than basically anything not involving Reigns in the ‘E at the moment.

• Paid Members

What an episode! Top to bottom just great matches. Cody’s promo was a bit much, but The American Dream? Go on then! The opener and  main event were especially great, but everything was good and excited to see where Miro goes from here.

30 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Not struck on Moxleys 'Wild Thing' music, if that's going to be a regular thing, or is it his NJPW theme? I liked his AEW theme, was one of the more recognizable ones.

I'm guessing it was a tribute to Atushi Onita with it being a defence of a Japanese title even if it really doesn't make much sense. I would have popped had it been the FMW remix of Wild Thing tbh. 

• Paid Members

Darby Allin is the most exciting wrestler in the world right now to me. He's having a fantastic run this year and if he keeps it up then he should win every Wrestler of the Year award going. Absolutely incredible main event.

17 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Considering it’s barely even a year old it’s mightily impressive how many great matches, moments, elevations and rubs that TNT belt has created.

I'm more invested in the TNT title scene than the World title picture at the moment. Darby's run with the belt was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see what Miro does with it. I hope he remains champion for a long, long time. I love the idea of him going unbeaten, and eventually challenging Hangman Page when he's AEW World Champion, in the first ever AEW champion vs champion match. 

I really enjoyed the show, but I'm very much over Cody. The way he flings words like "pontificate" into his promos makes them feel almost George W Bush-like. The fact his feud is based around blind patriotism is very topical, but really, if they wanted to get with the times, the blind patriot should probably be the heel...

I felt a little disappointed by the announcement of Stadium Stampede 2, and it's not because I don't want to see the match. I'm worried that this will end up main eventing the show, and I just don't want to see that. I'm probably building myself up for disappointment, but I really do feel like the most anticipated match at Double or Nothing is Shida/Baker at this stage, and that there's so much more to gain from closing the show with that match, than any of the others on the card. Do the right thing, Tony Khan!! 

• Paid Members

For obvious reasons, I haven't listened to Chris Jericho's podcast for ages. However, he released one yesterday deconstructing the Blood and Guts match that's an excellent listen. Really interesting. I view Jericho with pro-wrestling similar to Joe Rogan with MMA. Catch them talking about that core subject and I've got all the time in world. Have them talk about anything else though and it's absolute shit for the ears.

Particularly, I loved Jericho describing Santana and Ortiz marking out backstage and being super excited hearing the crowd pop for their babyface entrance. Just you wait, lads. Six months from now you're gonna do a fiery comeback and win the tag belts in front of tens of thousands and it's going to be incredible.

Even as someone who's campaigned for Stadium Stampede to be an annual event, I'm not convinced it's the right move here. Daft mini-movies and comedy spots don't suit this feud at all, yet I can't imagine doing that type of match without them. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though because I don't think they've ever done a backstage brawl-style match that hasn't delivered. I just pray to God they're already rehearsing whatever special effects they've got planned.

Edited by Supremo