The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Another great show.Ā 

Opener was great stuff. All credit to Mox keeping to Nagata's pace and making him look like the badass of old. The flashes of NJPW presentation and Excalibur doing a great job cluing in the audience on Yuji's significance, as well as (gasp) JR knowing who he was and contributing some worthwhile thoughts really added to it. Shame Mox forgot his Onita biker jacket. I like the idea of Mox using Wild Thing for his NJPW defences; it adds a nice touch to Mox as a wrestler, as if to say that you know me as this guy, but THIS is who I am in Japan. Some fantastic camera work to capture Nagata's facials too. No doubt on the finish, of course, but the whole vibe of the match including post-match was exciting and feelgood.

Poor OC. Just a fraction of an inch too much rotation. Another testament to PAC's incredible talent. Between walking Butcher through a singles brawl while working face last year, and now expertly protecting his opponent and stalling so the crew could get things together, he's amazing. His zombie nipup is one of my favourite moves in wrestling. A real shame about the accident too, as they'd put together a great contest, totally different from their first encounter but with some fun callbacks. The three way will be interesting and different, but I do wonder if OC's comedy side is going to bring out the worst in Omega. Who, by the way, still doesn't know how when to stop cutting a promo. All of his segments just kind of drift to an arbitrary end while he's still mumbling away or trying to milk camera time by taking too long to move on. Sure, that might be part of the gimmick, and might be working because it is pissing me off, but I'm not convinced he knows the difference.

The more I think about the Cody promo the more it pisses me off. Not only has it missed the point of his own angle like he did versus his own brother and like he shoehorned in versus Brodie. I mean, an Olympic medalist boxer has been punching holes in your 'Family' and metaphorically buried you in the middle of the ring, but no, it's about Murca. But he's taken the name and legacy of his iconic father, who Cody himself has spent years distancing himself from (when it suited him), and usurped it for a cheap pop. It hasn't been bestowed or passed down to him; he's taken it. All this made me want is for Dustin to come out and slap his baby (of a) brother in the mouth. And I never thought I'd say this, but what about QT?

Bucks vs SCUncles was yet another cracker, even if I think the Bucks bury anyone they work with. Serious Daniels is much better than Freddie Mercury Daniels, the blood was genuinely dramatic (loved, loved, loved the BME botch fake out) and Kaz really sold that this really could be it for them. I rolled my eyes when they HAD TO CUT TO THE BACK, but was pleased when they replayed the emotional hug at the end.

Sydal should be a nice stopgap match for Christian, that should showcase his skill against a high flyer after taking on an all-rounder like Kazarian and powerhouse Hobbs. I predict a Lightning Spiral countered into a Killswitch, then more glorious bitching by Taz.

My crush of heel Britt Baker grows with every promo. Tony: "It was brilliant thinking." Britt: "Genius." *smiles to camera. She's winning.

The wife caught half of Darby's promo video and asked if that was really "my wrestling programme."Ā 

No word of a lie, I was on the edge of my seat for the entire match. Just marvellous storytelling. That coffin tope gif is mesmerising. His arm being too broken to keep the sleeper on. Constantly fighting from underneath, in defiance of weeks of injuries. Darby selling himself as an emo lone wolf, but THAT LOOK to Sting while he was lying in the ropes, my god. The Bucks and Kenny are dance school wrestlers, but Darby is pure cinema.

The Archer thing must've been rushed for time, but it does mean we're in for some heavyweight meat-slappin' after weeks of Darby's demolition derbies. Here's hoping Miro can have some months of putting his own stamp on the belt and Darby heals up.

• Awards Moderator

Excellent main event with Miro and Darby. I think thatā€™s the Miro I was expecting from day 1, and if this is the end of Darbyā€™s mini run in the last match of the night, itā€™s been a great few weeks.

Lots of significant stuff happened elsewhere too, all the matches felt important in their own way. Good show.

Apart from Codyā€™s promo.

• Paid Members

Moxley Vs Nagata was a nice NJPW style match.Ā 

I reached for my phone when Cody's music started.Ā 

That SCU Young Bucks match was really good. Definitely needed more time with Kazarian and Daniels to sell the end of their run. Does Kaz continue as a single now?Ā 

Christian Vs Sydal could be good.Ā 

Triple threat is a good way of making it look like Omega could lose the title. He won't, but it feels more likely than if they booked a singles match.Ā 

Page's promo was good. I liked the humility.Ā 

I can't really be arsed with the Pinnacle/Inner Circle feud either. It should have ended with Blood & Guts, but Blood & Guts shouldn't have happened yet.Ā 

Britt Baker's interview was good. Her match with Shida should be the main event of Double Or Nothing.Ā 

Darby & Miro was a great match. Miro & Archer could be a heck of a hoss match. It was a good episode.Ā 

As shit as that promo was, I kind of admire how much of a grifter Cody is. He remade his career by creating his own "dream" matches, made himself relevant in NJPW when he was often one of the least interesting wrestlers on the card, somehow managed to use the NWA title to get himself even more over and then dumped it back into obscurity, convinced a billionaire's son to invest in him and his friends, made everyone believe he was different to HHH by mocking HHH's elaborate often irrelevant entrances in his own elaborate, irrelevant entrance, has somehow managed to convince people he's not pushing himself as the star of the show while still getting his own special entrance and mixing it up with celebrities, and now has used the existence of his own child as a US miracle.Ā 

I love how they made last week's stunt even more pointless by bringing Jericho back already. Yes, he was bandaged up and yes they have a PPV to sell, but why bother with the stunt anyway if they were just going to bring him back the week after?Ā 

Cutting to the back after the SCU match felt very WCW 99. Just reveal the broken up locker room afterwards and leave some kind of calling card to Moxley and Kingston.Ā 

Otherwise:

Enjoyed Moxley's entrance music and his match with Nagata.

SCU/Young Bucks was a lot of fun. Daniel's bleeding looked nasty.

Appreciate that the PAC/Orange Cassidy match was a difficult thing to book around. Hope OC is okay.

Schiavone is the MVP for me. His enthusiasm carries a lot of the show.

• Paid Members

Was thinking back over the last episode, and one thing that made that so much fun was that four of the main matches could have easily main-evented most weeks.Ā 

The Moxley/Nagata match was presented as a big deal, and it's Mox (obviously).Ā 

The Young Bucks/SCU was the payoff to a long-running (admittedly mostly on Dark etc) storyline, but was bloody and exciting and had a big stipulation.

Orange Cassidy/Pac for the title shot is an easy main event any time, especially after so many had their last oneĀ as their match of the year last year.

And Miro/Darby was the right call to actually main event.

It's not so much the roster, although it's a very good roster - AEW are good at making matches seem like they have meaning. Even if nothing right now is out-of-the-park great, they can put together compelling and intriguing shows.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

It's not so much the roster, although it's a very good roster - AEW are good at making matches seem like they have meaning. Even if nothing right now is out-of-the-park great, they can put together compelling and intriguing shows.

They put lots into that Blood and Guts, long(ish) term booking and advertising to make it more than your average episode of Dynamite. When they came out of that show, they had the card you mention above advertised for next week. I found that really impressive. Then they ran the show last week and almost everything built something for the PPV, which suddenly has a very solid card of it's own.

I mentioned the freshness before. This show screams it. New matches, new feuds. People cry about the size of the roster but that helps so much in creating this freshness because people aren't on every shows and they're constantly introducing new characters either from their partners, ex-WWE guys or rookies on the way up. It'll be interesting to see how long that can continue but it should be a good while yet.

• Paid Members

The massive roster that is too big for one TV episode a week is one of AEWs strengths rather than a weakness. Almost every week it leads to unique and intriguing matches but because the roster is so large they can put on matches you want to see each week without doing rematches and still have loads left in the tank for future episodes. I could probably easily list over a hundred matches in AEW I'd love to see that they haven't done yet. What other promotion can you say that about?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The massive roster that is too big for one TV episode a week is one of AEWs strengths rather than a weakness. Almost every week it leads to unique and intriguing matches but because the roster is so large they can put on matches you want to see each week without doing rematches and still have loads left in the tank for future episodes. I could probably easily list over a hundred matches in AEW I'd love to see that they haven't done yet. What other promotion can you say that about?

Also, look at how many repeat matches we see on WWE TV compared to AEW. The difference is staggering.Ā 

Was really looking forward to the Bucks /SCU match considering the build up they gave the match on BTE and throughout the previous weeks constantly referring to the win or break up stip.

So what do they do straight after?Ā cut to Mox and Kingston. Why didn't they just stay with SCU to acknowledge the moment instead of treatingĀ it as an afterthought with a "moments ago" clip.Ā 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

Why didn't they just stay with SCU to acknowledge the moment instead of treatingĀ it as an afterthought with a "moments ago" clip.Ā 

Because it's SCU? It is an afterthought.