The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Cody is just the fucking worst at this point. There's nothing likeable about this guy anymore. His weird long promos which sound like he spends his spare time looking for long words in the dictionary to use, his constant smugness and terrible suits. Turning this absolute nothing of a feud into a bizarre "defending the USA" angle and crying about it. Completely wasting the "American Dream" nickname on it despite his "American Nightmare" nickname making no sense to his character anyway.

You can tell Cody is writing his own feuds because they are all the same. Start off with a big moment pretty much out of nowhere, throw in some unconvincing emotion, then skip straight to the end where Cody goes over. If Cody wrote a novel he wouldn't bother writing the middle of it, he can't be bothered with that shit. You absolutely know he's going to survive Ogogo's death punch and win the match. It's tiring.

And the announcers should probably refer to Agogo as "Olympic medalist boxer" rather than "bronze medallist". It'd sound more impressive. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Wardlow ignoring the promo and just chatting up the women at ringside was gold, what a guy.

Genuinely my favourite moment of the show. 

Closely followed by John Silver's "That's the name of the show! Did you do that on purpose?!"

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Cody is just the fucking worst at this point. There's nothing likeable about this guy anymore. His weird long promos which sound like he spends his spare time looking for long words in the dictionary to use, his constant smugness and terrible suits. Turning this absolute nothing of a feud into a bizarre "defending the USA" angle and crying about it. Completely wasting the "American Dream" nickname on it despite his "American Nightmare" nickname making no sense to his character anyway.

You can tell Cody is writing his own feuds because they are all the same. Start off with a big moment pretty much out of nowhere, throw in some unconvincing emotion, then skip straight to the end where Cody goes over. If Cody wrote a novel he wouldn't bother writing the middle of it, he can't be bothered with that shit. You absolutely know he's going to survive Ogogo's death punch and win the match. It's tiring.

And the announcers should probably refer to Agogo as "Olympic medalist boxer" rather than "bronze medallist". It'd sound more impressive. 

Unless you are American. This is the exact same kind of crap that southern, and pockets of, America lap up, whilst alienating everyone else. His comment about UK wrestlers was just a poor attempt at saving grace. All it does is turns everyone not American against him. He'll get an amazing reception at DoN, Any other country he would be a heel. It's why Captain America films are among the lowest grossing Marvel films outside of the US, because no one care for the America is so great messaging.

The Cody promo was really cringe-worthy. My highlight of it was talking about how amazing America is that he can bring a mixed-race baby in to the world as a way of getting one over on mixed-race Englishman Anthony Ogogo.

That main event was magnificent. Miro looked like a bear just chucking Darby around whilst still having him look strong. Just fantastic wrestling telly, My only negative was Scorpio Skye and whatshisface turning up at the end to attack Sting. Yes, it helps build to a tag match with them against Sting and Darby but I'd have rather not have the distraction and let Miro have his moment before Archer walked out.

Other than Cody's promo that was a cracking show. 

Mox using Wild Thing seems to have split fans but if it's permanent I can see really going over well with a full house.

Agree that the post match shenanigans took some of the shine off of Miro's big moment but he still looked an absolute beast. 

Double or Nothing looking stacked.

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members

I have watched this clip on a loop for a good 5 mins, outstanding. The speed Darby fly's out of the ring at is jaw dropping. 

Edited by Nick James

Agree with most of the comments above. It was a rare occasion though were I felt like there was too much going on to fit in the time. The second match in the show being a forced break-up angle was great but the aftermath felt rushed (but then almost the entire storyline was off Dynamite anyway); the next match was a number 1 contender's match and announcement of the first-ever 3-way singles match (I think?) in AEW was kinda just brushed over too. As mentioned above the immediate end of the main event took the shine off the big title change. But this is all just nit-picking. Much rather have too much stuff going on than a bunch of repetitive robotic nothing like Raw.

Also, it took me a while to warm to Darby Allin but I finally did for sure this week. I like Miro but I really wanted Darby to fluke it and Miro to go off the deep end afterwards! I hope the lad has a well-earned rest now. Doubt it, though...

Edited by Mr.Showtime

13 minutes ago, Mr.Showtime said:

Agree with most of the comments above. It was a rare occasion though were I felt like there was too much going on to fit in the time. The second match in the show being a forced break-up angle was great but the aftermath felt rushed (but then almost the entire storyline was off Dynamite anyway); the next match was a number 1 contender's match and announcement of the first-ever 3-way singles match (I think?) in AEW was kinda just brushed over too. As mentioned above the immediate end of the main event took the shine off the big title change. But this is all just nit-picking. Much rather have too much stuff going on than a bunch of repetitive robotic nothing like Raw.

Also, it took me a while to warm to Darby Allin but I finally did for sure this week. I like Miro but I really wanted Darby to fluke it and Miro to go off the deep end afterwards! I hope the lad has a well-earned rest now. Doubt it, though...

They did have a 3-Way between Darby, Joey Janella and Jimmy Havoc on one of the early PPV’s, I want to say it was at the first All Out.

Stadium Stampede 2 doesn’t seem to have got the reaction they were hoping for on social media, but they’ve got 2 more weeks of TV to get people into it. It shouldn’t be an annual thing though, that’s why things like Hell in a Cell don’t mean anything anymore. Do it when the feud calls for it rather than just because you did it this time last year.
Personally I think a gimmick match between Jericho and MJF would be a better way to go, but perhaps they’re saving that until what PPV comes in August or September (or maybe even on TV at Fytr Fest if they end up doing that again).