The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

My only thought about bringing Jericho back sooner rather than later, is that they can never make anyone returning for Stadium Stampede look as cool as Hangman on a horse. 

The show wasn't exactly Crash TV, not by the standards set by Russo but it was maybe a little too fast paced to let things settle, especially with the SCU split and fast tracking Jericho back but I have to say I do enjoy that pace regardless. I'll take those cons if it means exciting TV, personally.

4 hours ago, Vamp said:

I love how they made last week's stunt even more pointless by bringing Jericho back already. Yes, he was bandaged up and yes they have a PPV to sell, but why bother with the stunt anyway if they were just going to bring him back the week after? 

As much as Jericho seems to have worked hard to get others over in the past, it really feels like this current run, which should be the Inner Circle's last gasp and the making of MJF, is being undercut by Jericho not wanting to let go. Blood and Guts should have been the end of it. Instead we've got two multi-man gimmick matches in as many months, where the individuals very easily get swamped by the gimmick, which is even more critical in the case of Pinnacle because, even though we are familiar with them all, there's none of the on-screen history that Inner Circle have simply through time served together to get Pinnacle over as a cohesive threat. They even attributed his busted arm to the fall which he took on his back and not the Salt of the Earth that MJF cranked on on top of the cage.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jericho thought people were talking as much about him Judas Effecting a mascot as much as Hangman on a horse, or Ortiz in the pool, or the insane balcony One Winged Angel on Sammy.

Hopefully it'll be decent at least, but after the fun and mix of characters and payoffs in the first Stadium Stampede, as well as being weeks after one of the best 'serious' cinematic matches in the Team Taz vs Darby/Sting warehouse fight, I can't help feeling a straight stadium brawl will be a tedious po-faced slog, or contain too many wild tonal shifts to undercut the seriousness of the violence and follow-up, and we're still left with Pinnacle as a B-team trying to find their on-screen feet.

My biggest concern with the Stadium Stampede match is that Inner Circle will almost certainly win to set up a third "rubber" match (just so the commentators can tell us it's a rubber match because they know what a rubber match is.)

Whether the third match is Pinnacle v Inner Circle or just Jericho v MJF remains to be seen. 

We all seem convinced that it should of ended at Blood & Guts, so to get to the third match feels like it's gonna be a bit of a slog. 

It is a tough one. The way the feud was built we really only needed one big blow off match which they had but there was no feeling of closure. Jericho took the big bump and then came back and instantly set up a second match which negated the bump in the first place.

The trouble with faction battles is how do you end them without bringing in a 'must disband' stipulation. If Jericho had been written off they could have quietly had the IC drift away into other feuds for a while. Santana and Ortiz can easily go after the tag belts, they already mentioned their families so could have used that as a perfect reason 'we are loyal to the IC but we need to make money for our family etc and be able to go home to them safe and sound.'

Sammy could have continued being a thorn in their side whilst also chasing the TNT belt or such.

Hagar is the awkward one because short of being someome's muscle what do you do with him.

• Paid Members

Yeah, there should have been a series of tags, singles, trios, maybe a Survivor series style match etc going back and forth between both groups to set up for Blood & Guts, or to set up for Stadium Stampede in autumn and do the Elite Vs Moxley, Kingston & 3 others (best friends? Death triangle?) for the Blood & Guts match. Sometimes they're too keen to pop a rating, although how much of that is on TNT for wanting it? 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Jackpot said:

My biggest concern with the Stadium Stampede match is that Inner Circle will almost certainly win to set up a third "rubber" match (just so the commentators can tell us it's a rubber match because they know what a rubber match is.)

Whether the third match is Pinnacle v Inner Circle or just Jericho v MJF remains to be seen. 

We all seem convinced that it should of ended at Blood & Guts, so to get to the third match feels like it's gonna be a bit of a slog. 

I'd like to see Inner Circle vs The Pinnacle in just a straight up wrestling match really. Maybe a Survivor Series type elimination match. Don't really feel like they even need all these bells and whistles. 

My concern is what do you do with The Pinnacle after this feud? They can't exactly feud with The Elite in a heel vs heel war. Perhaps you could set up some kind of temporary band of super friends to fight them. Off the top of my head: Jon Moxley, Eddie Kingston, Darby Allin, Sting and Lance Archer. If Pinnacle move on to a feud with Best Friends or Dark Order it's going to feel like quite a comedown. 

EDIT: @jazzygeofferz basically posted the exact same thing as me at the same time.

Edited by LaGoosh

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

If Pinnacle move on to a feud with Best Friends or Dark Order it's going to feel like quite a comedown. 

Another take is that you have given this new heel faction a rub and now they are in a position to elevate another group. MJF led Pinnacle feuding with Adam Page led DO is something I would love to see. The match ups could be great 

Page vs MJF

FTR vs Uno and Grayson

Wardlow vs Silver

There are some exciting prospects in that feud.

• Paid Members

I wonder whether they manage to build to a Wardlow face turn and he plows through them. Obviously starting with Spears. Maybe one of them gets the TNT title, or FTR end up with the tag belts again at some point? A group like the Pinnacle should be at the top of the card, doing the kind of stuff the Elite are doing now. 

Sexy Wardlow staring out MJF before smashes him to pieces would be incredible. Haven't they already mentioned that Wardlow only works for MJF because he pays him so much and he needs to support his family. Wouldn't be too hard to spin that into a good reason for him to turn. 

I truly think a face Wardlow in a company who seem to know how to book faces could be everything the WWE ever hoped a face Reigns would be. 

I'm starting to love this guy. Totally rooting for Ogogo to gut punch that unaware, self-important prick into retirement.

I'm baffled by the Inner Circle/Pinnacle stuff. Surely Blood and Guts and Stadium Stampede should have been the other way round? Do you think they'll do Stampede live this time? Putting the hottest feud in a pre-tape match in front of the first full capacity crowd in over a year seems mental.

You’d need to move the crowd from the Arena into the stadium to do it live. Really weird to take the action outside the arena with the first full crowd