The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

27 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

If the show doesn't start with Luchasaurus, one of Bear Country and some fucker in a wolf outfit in a three-way smashing up miniature buildings it's a waste of a name.

Now I just want a big budget cross between Lucha Underground and Kaiju Big Battel.

4 specials a year should help that gap between ppvs. Be the ideal places for the Darbys of the world to get world title matches 

43 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Hadn’t even thought about that. Surely renaming it to the Television Title will avoid any issues should the show move again in the future

An idea, but you could get something good out of a countdown to the belt being retired or rebranded and the prestige of being the last TNT Champion, if this all goes as it says so.

Be a Good story guys wanting to be the last TNT champion. Have some kind of elimination match on the last Dynamite of the year that ends with someone In the Dark order as champion before it’s retired and the new one comes in. 

• Paid Members

So apparently they're getting a shit ton of money from TNT/TBS for the new show and quarterly specials so I hope Tony Khan is currently having dumptrucks full of cash delivered to Samoa Joe and Daniel Bryan's houses.

• Paid Members

TBS has been a mostly comedy channel for years but have shifted a little recently.it’s where The Go Big Show was on as well. They also show Impractical Jokers about 10 hours a day. They have also re-run a lot of shows like Seinfeld, The Office and Big Bang Theory (It was always a safe channel to watch in the hotel room if you just wanted something on). It could work out well I think.

(They probably show Blossom as well)

Anthony Ogogo's theme music might be my least favourite wrestling theme ever. It utterly lacks in impact and is the worst kind of generic. If he's going to continue to be a featured player, they need to change it, quickly. 

I enjoyed the show overall, and I'm particularly enjoying the emergence of the new, exciting tag teams in AEW. The Varsity Blondes are really good, particularly Griff Garrison who is so much fun to watch in ring. He's showing improvement on the mic too, I think he has a lot of upside. Then you have The Acclaimed, who are one of the best acts in wrestling right now. I hope they get a feud to sink their teeth into after Double or Nothing. 

Serena Deeb was impressive once again in ring, I really hope they do more with her. Red Velvet looked great too, but there's something missing from her act right now. I'm not entirely sure what it is, perhaps they just need to do more to establish exactly who she is (the same could be said about Deeb, to be fair).

I really wish they'd have given Shida and Baker the chance to have a big, show-closing angle tonight. I feel like they're underestimating just how anticipated this match is, and in all rights it should be closing the PPV (sadly, it won't). Baker arguably has more momentum than anyone in AEW right now, and I hope they don't squander that. 

TNT/TBS have had a few shows swapped been them recently, haven't they? Wasn't Nascar the big one a while back.

Another really solid show this week with the only downer being The Inner Circle, outside of Ortiz I didn't like the other promos at all.

Wardlow stole the show again by downing the wine and sneaking some meat onto his plate, he just naturally knows how to do shit in the background while others talk.

Varsity Blondes are looking more and more like a proper package every week, the cute cheerleader and jackets are class. This isn't a negative but I could just imagine them being champs in WWF circa 1994.

Griff Garrison feels like he's just stepped out of an episode of Worldwide, and it's class. I like the introduction of the jackets and Julia Hart into the gimmick. Having a female member/valet really leans into the general vibe of "midcard act from 25 years ago" that comes flying off The Blondes.

Good, functional episode of wrestling TV this week, I thought. Good matches, nothing blow away and the only thing that I thought was a bit ropy was that Miro/Archer promo. Just awkward as fuck.

2 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Good matches, nothing blow away and the only thing that I thought was a bit ropy was that Miro/Archer promo. Just awkward as fuck.

I quite enjoyed this, particularly on Miro's end. He comes across as completely unhinged. Outside of Shida/Baker, this is the match I'm most excited for at the PPV. 

In the long term, Miro feels like a great vehicle to give Wardlow his first title win, and potentially build up some tension between him and MJF. 

Edited by RedRooster

5 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I quite enjoyed this, particularly on Miro's end. He comes across as completely unhinged. Outside of Shida/Baker, this is the match I'm most excited for at the PPV. 

After weeks of talking really well, I thought Archer, in particular sounded awful. It felt like a bad promo duel from Raw,  like he was simultaneously struggling to remember his lines and force them in. Dunno, just not my cup of tea.

Edited by BrodyGraham