Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I reckon we'll have Paul Wight just stand up from commentary and be the Joker card.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I’m interested in how they’re going to do the Sting match safely. Given that it’s only Scorpio and Ethan Page, I wonder if they’ll just do a super quick squash match where Sting and Darby hit their finishers for the crowd to pop? I’d be fine with that.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m interested in how they’re going to do the Sting match safely. Given that it’s only Scorpio and Ethan Page, I wonder if they’ll just do a super quick squash match where Sting and Darby hit their finishers for the crowd to pop? I’d be fine with that.

Tough one to call really. I'd be happy with a squash match although not sure how much that benefits Scorpio/Page really. I can't imagine Sting wanting to do that either. He seems like a fairly giving bloke. In fact I'm surprised he's working with those guys at all really. Hardly up there with talent I'd like to see him work with in AEW.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Maybe Sting gets sneak attacked on the way to to the ring or something along those lines, taking him out of commission, Darby has to valiantly go it alone only for Sting to come back out towards the end and hit a couple of safe-ish moves, lock in the Scorpion and it's all done? Keeps Sting relatively safe, Allin works from underneath as the sympathetic babyface and the heels get some shine dominating before taking the loss.  

  • Paid Members
Posted

Sting's more than capable of working smart. He'll tag in for a nice shine, hit some of his signature spots, take a bit of heat without having to take any serious bumps, tag out to let Darby wrestle most of the match, then come back in for the finish. He's good enough that he'll be able to work safely and, to anyone not specifically looking for it, it won't be too obvious that he's protecting himself. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
16 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Sting's more than capable of working smart. He'll tag in for a nice shine, hit some of his signature spots, take a bit of heat without having to take any serious bumps, tag out to let Darby wrestle most of the match, then come back in for the finish. He's good enough that he'll be able to work safely and, to anyone not specifically looking for it, it won't be too obvious that he's protecting himself. 

I never thought that, in 2021, someone wrestling the Daddy match would be a good thing. Mind you, he obviously wrestles it way better than Big Daddy did.

Posted

I think Sting has enough goodwill for it to work, a live crowd getting to see him work at all will be more than enough. The problem comes later if they keep doing it in the future, I think there a short shelf life and you can only get away with it so much.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I never thought that, in 2021, someone wrestling the Daddy match would be a good thing. Mind you, he obviously wrestles it way better than Big Daddy did.

I've worked with guys who basically can't take flat back bumps for whatever reason, and I know people who have worked with "Legends" who charge by the bump. When everyone involved knows the limitations in play, it's pretty easy to work a match around them without the audience even realising that's what you're doing, so long as you put a little time into planning the match out.

I expect we'll see Sting take a bit of a beating that allows him to drop to one knee and then lower himself to the mat, rather than taking a big bump to get him there, or taking a few rolls rather than bumps. We've seen him take a Powerbomb already, so we know that him bumping isn't out of the question, but I doubt we're likely to see Scorpio Sky or Ethan Page overpowering him and throwing him around all that much, so it'll all be safe as houses. 

Honestly, the Big Daddy match is the perfect way to use "Legends" in modern wrestling, especially once AEW starts touring again. Don't do the WWE thing and book aging wrestlers as if they're just as good as they always were and expect them to work 20 minute competitive matches, but putting them in a tag team situation where they can still run through the Greatest Hits and the live crowd gets to see them work is great, easy feelgood booking.

44 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The problem comes later if they keep doing it in the future, I think there a short shelf life and you can only get away with it so much.

This is the thing - if they keep alternating between heavily protected tag team matches and cinematic stuff, there's a point where it wears thin, and it becomes clear that's all they're doing with him. And if it's feelgood booking where Sting is winning more often than not, surely in AEW terms that raises questions about why he's not in line for a title shot. I don't know what the shelf life of it is, but I also don't know how exaggerated the "he'll never be able to wrestle again" and "his neck is made of pipe cleaners" stories were in the first place - maybe he can work just fine, so long as he's not pushing himself too hard or working a full schedule. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Honestly, the Big Daddy match is the perfect way to use "Legends" in modern wrestling, especially once AEW starts touring again. Don't do the WWE thing and book aging wrestlers as if they're just as good as they always were and expect them to work 20 minute competitive matches, but putting them in a tag team situation where they can still run through the Greatest Hits and the live crowd gets to see them work is great, easy feelgood booking.

All of a sudden, Big Daddy fulfils one of the criteria to get into the Observer Hall of Fame (or was it Wrestling Illustrated's?). I remember Kenny McBride once posting a staunch defence of not inducting him, part of which was the simple fact that he didn't tick the box for "influencing later workers", that nobody since him had tried to work like him.

Posted

You know, Serena Deeb could low key be the best wrestler in the company, she's fucking amazing and played a vicious heel this time around so well.

  • Paid Members
Posted
14 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

You know, Serena Deeb could low key be the best wrestler in the company, she's fucking amazing and played a vicious heel this time around so well.

I now want her to wear bright blue contacts, come to the ring wolfing down some unidentifiable substance that looks like Spice, and go by the name Muad Deeb

Posted
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I now want her to wear bright blue contacts, come to the ring wolfing down some unidentifiable substance that looks like Spice, and go by the name Muad Deeb

Well all that yoga does let her bend like a reed in the wind.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...