The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I couldn't even tell what it was that busted Hangman open? Had to be something seconds before the finish because he was pissing blood immediately.

I double checked it for the same reasons. No idea what happened 

Agreed. There's never a time or place for that on commentary, but that was exceptionally stupid, even if he was trying for heat.

It felt weird seeing chilled-out shrugging nice guy Adam Page absolutely leather Janela in the face with the Buckshot. I've rewatched it a few times and cannot see when or what happened. Page had a cut on his cheek earlier on, I think. Tensions were probably high being their first proper crowd show, and knowing he had a promo to cut immediately afterwards likely pissed him off. They have to be careful standing Cage next to anyone. Fucking hell. I guess I'm used to Cage being presented as a monster, and Page's own dimensions make him look a little shorter than he is, but there were times side-on they looked the same size.

Show was decent, but seemed off for a lot of it. Were they in their usual venue, or elsewhere so they could prep for DoN? Trying to make it look full actually had the effect of making it look like an awkward setup in a local community theatre.

OK opener, even though they missed a trick not going with Jurassic Express. Bononi is a useless lump, but works in the context of a Darby squash. I've no time for Sky and Page. I'd have a bit of time for Sky if he went all in on his 'savant' wrestling genius angle, especially if he does more with both hands behind his back and locking that heel hook on as savagely and smoothly as he did later. But Page is just nothing.

Weigh-in went nowhere, despite Ogogo mugging gloriously. Just charisma radiating off the guy, chucking wanker signs at everyone with a shit-eating grin and Union Jack undercrackers. If QT's stilted mic work wasn't falling flat enough, having Paul Wight (sorry, Big G) trying to scold them for moving about because on a week's notice he only got shitty scales after calling them cowards for coming out as a group, only to have Cody and his army of friends and family roll out with him just took the piss. The whole thing was an awkward, tensionless drag, that in the end amounted to little more than a glorified yay-boo.

Love me a PAC promo, especially when it looks like he hasn't slept since the last Dynamite. Really enjoyed the visual gag of the envelope, PAC teasing another powerbomb was ace, and Cassidy holding the belt is a lovely bit of wishful thinking.

Bitch AF was something Mox described the Bucks as when they rammed their Winnie, if I recall, but I don't think anyone is buying that t shirt. Another fire promo, as if that needed saying, from Mox and the Mad King.

The new belt was a nice gesture for Shida, but again she feels like a secondary concern in her feud. All roads point to a Baker win. I found myself thinking it's a shame they haven't found a way to translate Shida's natural sweetness into something meaningful, as she's clearly a very hard worker and lovely girl. It'll be interesting to see where both women stand at the end of their match.

I'm not sure Sterling adds anything to Jade Cargill's act but I did get a kick out of him passing his business cards around, and I liked that he came off as actually competent at his job in the backstage segment. Hardy's quality has been all over the place this year, but he did get a laugh out of me with his furious "I hope you'll be very happy in your new partnership!"

If Archer is going to continue on his face path, he needs to ditch Jake. He added value when he debuted as the sinister mouthpiece for a wrecking machine, but Archer has demonstrated competence on the mic and has had it pointed out too many times that Jake is holding him back. Miro looked great though, that closeup of his shoulders as he yelled to the camera, what a unit.

Good go-home promo from the Inner Circle. This has to be it for them. I almost feel like, if they win and don't disband, it'll actually ruin the goodwill they've garnered. It's time for Sammy and P&P to move on. Something about Sammy's promo gave me the feeling he might turn, but if he does, I don't know where that puts him in the Pinnacle. Hopefully in Spears' spot. I've made excuses for him in the past, but whatever he's going for here just isn't working. As much as Cash is my captain, Dax is one of the best promos in wrestling right now.

Looking forward to DoN.

Edited by CavemanLynn
SPG 4 LYF

25 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Without even looking, are we right in assuming that it’s that prick in the Everton shirt?

It apparently was!

His Twitter's great, been enjoying it for the past few days.

Edited by Merzbow

• Awards Moderator
12 hours ago, fozzyrock1986 said:

If anyone’s interested, I just signed up for the 7 day free trial to watch Dynamite on FITE. I cancelled it straight away but it said my subscription ends June 12th so you can watch the episodes that will be delayed on ITV on there for free.

Is next week’s episode delayed as well? I was about to cancel too but I’ll hang onto it for a bit longer if ITV’s going to keep being even further behind on episodes.

I really enjoyed this week. Darby and Hangman felt like big stars, the Miro squash was brilliant, great promos from PAC and Mox/Kingston, everything building nicely to what should be a cracking PPV.

It may get old quite quickly but it was fun to hear a full audience singing along to Jericho’s music too.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure they made enough of those two metal looking pile drivers off of the platform to the tables. That should have been the closing shot with the announcers going bananas. Instead you JR barely awake going "huh, was that tables breaking or necks? See you at the PPV everybody!" 

Found the show pretty dull other than that. Agogo looks a million quid every time he's out there. 

• Paid Members

I'm really starting to love Agogo's anti-american thing. It's got a real likeness to Bret Hart's in the WWF where he was face everywhere but the 'States, where everything he knocks the Americans for is actually true. With a full crowd in tonight, I can only imagine the heat he is going to generate. 

Hopefully he has the wrestling down like he has his character down, as he could be a breakout star this year...

11 hours ago, gmoney said:

I'm not sure they made enough of those two metal looking pile drivers off of the platform to the tables. That should have been the closing shot with the announcers going bananas. Instead you JR barely awake going "huh, was that tables breaking or necks? See you at the PPV everybody!" 

Found the show pretty dull other than that. Agogo looks a million quid every time he's out there. 

I found the show watchable but agree on the pile drivers at the end.

MJF and Sexy Wardlow were great though. 

Spears can still fuck off. 

• Paid Members

Tony Khan previews tonight’s show on this week’s AEW Unrestricted podcast. It’s a nice little mix of kayfabe hype and hints at what’s to come at the show and in the coming months. He makes specific mention on numerous occasions of new people coming in and the roster expanding to fill the new TV time. He’s got me. I’m allowing myself to expect Almas or Danielson. I can’t wait either way, and I’m leaning more towards Almas, but fucking hell. Imagine if it’s Bryan. Imagine the pop. Imagine the smile on Bryan’s face. It’d be my perfect moment in all of wrestling for my favourite wrestler to debut in my favourite company. Omega vs. Bryan at All Out for the Title? *chefs kiss*