The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Is Nyla a babyface now then? I honestly can't remember. Putting newly crowned heel champion Baker against a monster heel in her first feud seems too stupid for me to believe, especially with the amount of ready babyface challengers there are lined up.

Otherwise okay episode this week aside from The Factory/Nightmare Family stuff. It's impossible to care about, not even a Dustin promo to set up the main event. 

I love Vickie so didn't mind her introducing Andrade at all. It's an odd one though, it'll get him heat but maybe not the heat they want. There was a worrying amount of WWE feel about this episode. Holy shit though, Andrade!! They're so shit at introductions!

I'm loving how many over babyfaces AEW have, it's still a bit of a novelty. I'm digging The Inner Circle as the edgy super babyface team and I think even Hager has been putting some decent work in. As long as MJF gets a proper win in the end I'm pretty cool with the IC/Pinnacle stuff.

Miro's got good! I wasn't sure if it'd ever happen but I'm glad to see it. Scary motherfucker.

I always forget Colt Cabana is on the roster. Dark Order has felt pretty rudderless since Brodie's passing, Colt taking more of a lead on their promos would work for me.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I think Nyla is a terrible first feud for her, Nyla will be booked as the face yet will be booed, ironically it will be the opposite of their first feud.

I would have gone for a much obvious face like Toy Conti, she would be able to get heat ragdolling her

Edited by theringmaster
puncuation

The worst thing they can do is embrace Baker as a tweener. I like HER, but her character is a right shit. 

You have the inbuilt story that Nyla did clean pin Baker in the Eliminator Tourney and its her only smudge on record recently that counts so it makesd some sense. 

Still think it will end with Thunder Rosa taking both women's titles and avenging the win that never counted. Baker could be a magnificent troll doing that. 

• Paid Members

I wonder whether Kamille will be turning up on Dynamite now that she's picked up the NWA women's title. Will Thom Latimer be far behind? 

From Jericho’s podcast with Billy Corgan, the nwa title went on aew because Thunder Rosa went to aew. Serena was on aew side to keep it on tv, and now it’s gone back. It was the holder than they title driving it be on aew tv

21 minutes ago, Louch said:

From Jericho’s podcast with Billy Corgan, the nwa title went on aew because Thunder Rosa went to aew. Serena was on aew side to keep it on tv, and now it’s gone back. It was the holder than they title driving it be on aew tv

Ah. Nice. Was really good having the 2nd title around. Rosa to still kill Britt Baker at some point though. 

Edited by Chili

I was thinking that with such a strong tag division on AEW I would like to see a second tag title, maybe something akin to a TV tag title that gets defended weekly on either Dynamite or Rampage. This is probably just because I am desperate to see Varsity Blondes become champions!! 

3 minutes ago, NavigatorFan said:

I was thinking that with such a strong tag division on AEW I would like to see a second tag title, maybe something akin to a TV tag title that gets defended weekly on either Dynamite or Rampage. This is probably just because I am desperate to see Varsity Blondes become champions!! 

Tony Khan has talked about introducing trios tag titles and judging by the All Out tag line (where champions are made) i wouldn't be surprised to see them crowned there.

AEW have definitely got the depth and the factions to make a Trios title work. If they did bring one in, I hope there are a couple of tweaks to the rules to differentiate it from the tags. Lucha rules could be fun, where leaving or getting thrown out of the ring counts as a tag, and team member - team captain eliminations. That could make for some really fun, fast-paced bouts, and they've got the world experience on the roster including the luchadors to make it work.

A TV tag title would be overkill though. I know they're props, but the more belts there are, the less prestigious each is. The Blonds are way too green to go for gold yet, but give them a six- to twelve-month build to develop a rabid following and distinct personalities, and the pop when they lift the belts will be huge.

They absolutely can pull off a Trios Title without a hitch. The factions/tag teams on offer is great. 

Echo the Varsity Blondes love. I've really started noticing them. I love the comparisons a few others make on here that they are straight of WCW Saturday Night 1993 and its absolutely a good thing. Catchy theme too, you also have the Pillman Jr following hiw dads career story to dig in to as well. Griff Garrison makes me think of Chuck Palumbo with his weird skinny but lanky built frame. He's got an absolutely brilliant big boot for the 'awesome lads who do big boots' club we love. 

29 minutes ago, Chili said:

He's got an absolutely brilliant big boot for the 'awesome lads who do big boots' club we love. 

Agreed. It's great when a handsome lad decides to just walk through someone's face. They are properly playing up the retro theme which is no bad thing. I half expect him to start referring to himself as the G-Man. It's only a matter of time before he reclaims "Who the fxxx is Griff Garrison!?" off the Dark Order.

• Paid Members

Just got around to this. Probably one of the worst episodes of Dynamite. Christian/Jungle Boy tag was good, everything else was quite terrible. I'm assuming either a) everyone was still knackered from Double or Nothing, or b) they know they'll get a lower rating in the late Friday spot so they're holding the good stuff back til they are back on Wednesday's or go on live tour in July.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Just got around to this. Probably one of the worst episodes of Dynamite. Christian/Jungle Boy tag was good, everything else was quite terrible. I'm assuming either a) everyone was still knackered from Double or Nothing, or b) they know they'll get a lower rating in the late Friday spot so they're holding the good stuff back til they are back on Wednesday's or go on live tour in July.

While I didn't think it was that bad, just a functional but rarely exciting show, the latter is probably the reason. It's a long time ago now, but so is everything we love and remember in wrestling, but in late 98 when the WWF had to do a couple of Friday nights, they didn't bother to such an extent that they left Austin off and continued his angles when they were back on Mondays.