The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

It’s the smart thing to do if no one watching, rating still on where the network needs for that time a Friday night. Rather that than that fire something up to try and up the rating and it fail 

6 minutes ago, Louch said:

It’s the smart thing to do if no one watching, rating still on where the network needs for that time a Friday night. Rather that than that fire something up to try and up the rating and it fail 

Is it? At best, you send the message that when your show changes night, it's not worth watching. At worst, you leave yourself in a situation where viewers are apathetic towards what you're doing, and you leave yourself with a lower Wednesday right rating than there needs to be when things return back to normal, and you have to build back that viewership. 

I'm not saying they should debut Daniel Bryan on a Friday or anything like that, but this was an inexcusably bad show. 

No one has mentioned it yet, but the Red Velvet/Bunny match was absolutely terrifying. We were millimetres away from seeing Velvet suffer an incredibly serious injury following that suicide dive.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm not saying they should debut Daniel Bryan on a Friday or anything like that

Well, they debuted Andrade.

They're in one of their odd positions now. They're still booking traditionally. They ramp up for big shows and PPVs and we're weeks away from the next hyped dynamite and months and months away from the next PPV. There's going to be a lull somewhere.

The problem they have is that everyone is judging weekly these days like they're Dave Meltzer. They do sometimes string a few great Dynamites together but generally it's peaks and valleys as you hype stuff coming. Some weeks it's just to get to next week. I'll quite often skip these sort of weeks, I can see why some others do too, Friday night or not.

I'd look at it as what did this show achieve and what do you have to sell for next week. Jungle Boy was focussed and they're building him nicely for his title shot while planting some seeds for a potential Christian heel turn. Andrade is in but didn't say or do much so you now sell his next action. Is Darby going to accept the challenge to find an alternative tag partner? Scorp and Page were excellent dickheads. Kingston, Pac and Penta was a really interesting dynamic. Inner Circle set up a bunch of potential singles and tag matches with Pinnacle. Britt's first challenger was set up. Ogogo looked great following his first loss, that was a good bit of rehab (though shouldn't have been necessary). Dustin got a nice moment and some rare shine.

It wasn't a memorable show, some of it was a bit wank, tbh. But it was functional and had enough moving parts. I'd have had Andrade come out at the end. Closing the show with the announcers in shock and selling the next show would have made a big difference to the feeling coming out of this one.

Edit: I also thought JR had a shocker.

Edited by tiger_rick

What Rick said, things happened that set the story forward. Not every episode of sopranos is a Pine Barrens, and not ever episode of a wrestling show needs to be a 7+. 

• Paid Members

Nothing blew me away on the show, but nothing was so bad to the point where I'd expect anyone to stop watching. If this becomes the standard for their shows, there's a problem, but they've shown repeatedly that this isn't the case. They've got enough credit in the bank where a few lacklustre shows every now and then isn't going to damage them. Especially when a lacklustre show includes a fairly hot opener.

The latest BTE had some fun stuff. I loved Brandon Cutler's cam revealing that he was frantically apologising to Pac the entire time (I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm a Brandon Cutler mark - he fairly consistently makes me laugh). Also, the Dark Order/Hangman helping Evil Uno prepare for Miro was one of their best in a while. As well as one of their least subtle.

• Paid Members

I think half the problem with this week’s show was that nothing was going to live up that pay per view. An all-time great show, white-hot crowd, four hours of pay offs and feel-good moments, it was inevitable that an average, completely serviceable episode of Dynamite was going to feel like a huge step down.

Also, when was the last time they had so many, “THE FEUD MUST CONTINUE!” and, “THIS ISN’T OVER!” segments on a post-PPV Dynamite? I can’t remember it almost ever happening, yet it was everywhere here. Knowing the guys running the gaff are reading everything online and in newsletters, I think there’s something to that, too. Whereas usually they’d immediately pivot to new directions, I think the universal praise for the pay per view has gone to their heads a bit and they want to keep milking the good stuff they’ve got going. It certainly makes sense from a business perspective, even if doesn’t necessarily make for a good show to have everyone come out and go, “yeah, the same as before.”

But yeah. After a pay per view like that? They’ve developed enough good will with me that they could go weeks without producing another good show. I’ll just go back and watch Jungle Boy win the Battle Royale over and over again, the fans singing and swaying their hands. The BEST.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Also, when was the last time they had so many, “THE FEUD MUST CONTINUE!” and, “THIS ISN’T OVER!” segments on a post-PPV Dynamite? I can’t remember it almost ever happening, yet it was everywhere here. Knowing the guys running the gaff are reading everything online and in newsletters, I think there’s something to that, too. Whereas usually they’d immediately pivot to new directions, I think the universal praise for the pay per view has gone to their heads a bit and they want to keep milking the good stuff they’ve got going. It certainly makes sense from a business perspective, even if doesn’t necessarily make for a good show to have everyone come out and go, “yeah, the same as before.”

I don't think it feels like a retread like it often does when it's just a never ending singles feud. Nightmare Family and Factory wasn't hot anyway so that's practically irrelevant. Pinnacle and IC have had two big tag matches and now look to be splitting off into singles or tag matches. The challenge to Darby Allin was a clever way to build intrigue and also save Sting from wrestling too often though I'm half-expecting Darby to just fight them by himself. The Eddie Kingston/bucks stuff has a different dynamic without Mox. OC challenging Omega makes sense after he was screwed in a triple threat. Feels like the natural progression for a lot of this stuff rather than dragging the arse out of dead feuds - Nightmare/Factory stuff excepted.

14 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

That "Joker" spot in the battle royal really does seem cursed!

It definitely feels like it. The first was Adam Page, but ill fates know not to touch yer man. Then there was Matt Sydal losing a handicap match to his own boots and a turnbuckle, now Lio Rush left with an arm off. Adding in the women's, Mercedes Martinez went to WWE after one match on Dark. No Joker in the tags.

At this point, I think they're better off having the Joker spot as literally that - a gimmick spot rather than a big debut or angle. A veteran entrant, comedy act, something to pick things up in the final straight. Someone you know isn't going to win but you can still give the OC/Santino 'just maybe' moment, or a wrecking ball who flattens everyone then leaves or gets eliminated.

I hadn't seen much of Rush. Obviously I had seen the gif of his internet-breaking table bump no-sell, but I assume the 'E had ironed out kinks like that shit, and had heard he'd been decent as the annoying mouthpiece of <I want to say Lashley?> a while ago. He was entertaining enough in the Battle Royale, but not a big enough name to get a reaction from me, and still guilty of being far too small for his striking to look effective against even mid-sized opponents. If his talking was good quality, I wonder if he'd have had a place, as that's a strong point already in AEW, even disregarding the managers.

Edited by CavemanLynn