The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Dynamite: Grand Slam is heading to New York (Queens to be more specific) on September 22nd from USTA Arthur Ashe Stadium. Usually used for Tennis, it has a capacity of just under 24,000, which will be lowered depending on how they use the entrance set. AEW Rampage will have launched by then too, so you’ve got to imagine those will be a pair of loaded cards

SvBYPiI.jpg

Edited by WyattSheepMask
Updated with picture

On 6/15/2021 at 8:59 PM, Love-Wilcox said:

I still can't comprehend people who say Andrade should go back under a mask. I mean JUST LOOK AT HIM, he's gorgeous!

I'm sure HHH said words to that effect when they initially took the mask off him in NXT.

'If you looked like him would you wear a mask?' or something.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Dynamite: Grand Slam is heading to New York (Queens to be more specific) on September 22nd from USTA Arthur Ashe Stadium. Usually used for Tennis, it has a capacity of just under 24,000. Got to imagine that will be a loaded card

Considering that's about double their current largest attendance I'm very intrigued by what they've got planned for this. The only thing I can think of that would possibly fill the place up is a CM Punk or Daniel Bryan match. 

Probably lose a chunk of that for the entrance way, then the restricted view from that. Not sure if New York is doing any restrictions on distancing at events as well so may not be able to fill it. Smart looking different place to go and run tho. 

I've always wanted to see what a wrestling show would look like in a stadium built purposely for tennis as I assumed the audience would be very on top of the action. Although the actual floor area might be similar to some basketball arenas. I'll definitely tune in to take a look at this. I once during a drunken conversation outlined how there should be a wrestling event at Wimbledon with different genres of match going on in different courts, actually surprise Alex Shane hasn't tried something similar. 

2 hours ago, Louch said:

Probably lose a chunk of that for the entrance way, then the restricted view from that. Not sure if New York is doing any restrictions on distancing at events as well so may not be able to fill it. Smart looking different place to go and run tho. 

New York has just lifted the vast majority of their restrictions as they reached 70% of adults vaccinated. 
As it stands, masks still need to be worn in schools, hospitals, large venues etc., but the limit on numbers has been removed.

Obviously that could all change come September, but it’s still 14 weeks away and as we all know it only takes 12 weeks to flatten the curve

4 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Considering that's about double their current largest attendance I'm very intrigued by what they've got planned for this. The only thing I can think of that would possibly fill the place up is a CM Punk or Daniel Bryan match. 

I think at this stage of their existence there's every chance they can fill the place up, and I don't think they need a debuting wrestler to do that. 

They have a decent sized fanbase, and there are loads of matches that they could do with their current roster that would get any AEW fan buzzing. 

Omega/Darby, or even Omega/Page (would anyone object to that taking place in such an exciting venue?); The Bucks vs. Sting/Darby (in Sting's first title challenge in years), Miro vs Moxley, Miro vs. Wardlow, Miro vs. Jericho, Miro vs. Sammy, Cody/Dustin II, The Bucks vs. The Best Friends, Baker/Thunder Rosa II, Baker vs. Cargill, MJF/Jericho II, Moxley vs. Cody - I could go on. 

It wouldn't take much for them to construct a card that would get any audience buzzing, their roster is, for the most part, incredibly exciting. 

23 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I think at this stage of their existence there's every chance they can fill the place up, and I don't think they need a debuting wrestler to do that. 

They have a decent sized fanbase, and there are loads of matches that they could do with their current roster that would get any AEW fan buzzing. 

Omega/Darby, or even Omega/Page (would anyone object to that taking place in such an exciting venue?); The Bucks vs. Sting/Darby (in Sting's first title challenge in years), Miro vs Moxley, Miro vs. Wardlow, Miro vs. Jericho, Miro vs. Sammy, Cody/Dustin II, The Bucks vs. The Best Friends, Baker/Thunder Rosa II, Baker vs. Cargill, MJF/Jericho II, Moxley vs. Cody - I could go on. 

It wouldn't take much for them to construct a card that would get any audience buzzing, their roster is, for the most part, incredibly exciting. 

Got to have the main event as Omega defending the title vs Eddie Kingston in Eddie's hometown 😍 perfect environment to execute the best Dusty finish of all time, complete with Don Callis shenanigans. 

25 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Also, New York City's wrestling fan base is used to having 6-8 WWE shows a year and thus far WWE haven't announced a date for NYC, so the fans there are going to be starving for a major wrestling show.  I think they have a very good chance of selling 17,000 tickets.

The only thing that might hurt them is they've already sold 10,000 (apparently) for Newark a week earlier and a lot of the NYC fans may have got tickets for that already and might not fancy going to both.

11 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Goosebumps imagining the reaction Eddie Kingston could get.

Just saw a tweet asking Tony Khan to make sure that they get the rights to any DMX song that Eddie wants, and I've got goosebumps thinking about how crazy that crowd would go if Eddie came out to X gonna give it to ya. 

They already tried to get DMX for the bar scene at spring stampede, think the family pulled the use. Maybe with more time they court get an approval 

3 hours ago, sukhy said:

Got to have the main event as Omega defending the title vs Eddie Kingston in Eddie's hometown 😍 perfect environment to execute the best Dusty finish of all time, complete with Don Callis shenanigans. 

If you're going to have Eddie challenge for a singles title, I honestly think Miro would be a better opponent. We all know how good Eddie is on the mic, but Miro has emerged in recent months as one of the best (and also most terrifying) characters in wrestling. The build up could be phenomenal. Kenny, for me, is very inconsistent, and ultimately we'd know that it's very unlikely that Kingston would defeat him. The outcome of a match with Miro would be completely up in the air. 

Having said that, the more I think about it, the more I reckon a Bucks vs. Moxley/Kingston rematch would be the way to go, with Moxley/Kingston actually winning this time. I think there's a real desire to see that happen, we know the match would be great, and it would allow for a really hot ending to the show. How could you not feel emotion at the idea of watching these two friends achieve this together? It would be brilliant. 

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Yeah, I read something about them wanting to use DMX and the family wanted half a million for it.

Oof. Hopefully they'll be able to negotiate that down a tad. Because any DMX song would take the roof off the arena. 

Maybe they should give Havoc from Mobb Deep a call and ask if they can use Shook Ones. 

55 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

If you're going to have Eddie challenge for a singles title, I honestly think Miro would be a better opponent. We all know how good Eddie is on the mic, but Miro has emerged in recent months as one of the best (and also most terrifying) characters in wrestling. The build up could be phenomenal. Kenny, for me, is very inconsistent, and ultimately we'd know that it's very unlikely that Kingston would defeat him. The outcome of a match with Miro would be completely up in the air. 

Having said that, the more I think about it, the more I reckon a Bucks vs. Moxley/Kingston rematch would be the way to go, with Moxley/Kingston actually winning this time. I think there's a real desire to see that happen, we know the match would be great, and it would allow for a really hot ending to the show. How could you not feel emotion at the idea of watching these two friends achieve this together? It would be brilliant. 

Yeah I can see both of those being great options. Could double it up with the whole New York thing and have:

Proud and Powerful vs Young Bucks for the tag belts

Eddie vs Miro for the TNT title

Have 2 amazing feel good moments to start and close the show.