The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Omega's a funny one. Everyone was underwhelmed by him while he let everyone else shine which made me warm to him, having seen very little of him pre-AEW. He then quietly started to build that winning run and then tagged with Hangman and they were great together. I wasn't as high on him winning the title as some, still too much gas in Moxley at that point IMO, and there still is, but certainly the title win and those first few weeks made me question myself, it looked like greatness was coming with him and Callis. It fell off a cliff soon after. Allsorts of reasons. No interesting challengers is a big one. Anderson and Gallows being toxic is another. Kenny being pretty goofy is another. The Young Bucks will they/won't they and their matches have overshadowed him too. I asked recently who the next Champion is because it seems a bit early for almost everyone but it needs to be on someone more exciting. I'd either use Jericho to transition it quickly to MJF or I'd just pull the trigger on Jungle Boy and put everything behind him.

39 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

What’s the general opinion on Cargill and Sterling so far? It’s early days obviously, but it just isn’t working for me. Jade definitely needs a mouthpiece,  but I’m not sure they’ve linked her up with the right one. 

I don't mind it. But then I really love that they basically have a Lionel Hutz character on the show. Jade can talk but she still looks a bit nervous so Sterling is a good addition for me. He's obviously gonna be exposed as skimming off the top at some point and she'll flatten him, probably. 

Out of the three wrestling figure guys it's the almost unknown one that has the most to offer AEW, funny.

I like Sterling, he was great with MJF for that little while and I'm glad he's got something else to do. There's that early 90's manager vibe from him.

So do you think when Kip comes back he's still going to be with Miro, the big man gaslighting the fuck out of him and making him think the beating was his own fault? It'd have to lead to a sympathetic babyface Kip with Penelope trying to break him away from the toxic relationship.

• Paid Members

I think when Kip comes back he's going to be distanced from the whole situation and it'll never be addressed again. Maybe he could hook up with Anthony Ogogo and be some British Anti-American heels. 

27 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

I honestly don't get the Kip hate.

He's a perfectly fine mid card heel imo and was good fodder for that Miro beating. 

Same, he and Penelope make a brilliantly dislikable Instagram style couple. That idea of Kip being gaslighted by Miro isn't bad. 

• Paid Members

Kip is a perfectly serviceable lower card shitbag. But no one needs to see him anywhere near Miro again. If only because the world isn't ready for Sabian as a babyface. And mainly because he was dragging the big man down with every show.

• Paid Members

Yeah, pack it in with this Kip hate. He’s a completely acceptable midcard twat.

Plus, I’ll always have a soft spot for him based on this moment alone.

76A28539-2240-451B-BB03-F0DD5E70FE7E.gif.50b3d38e220f5a2805e2cb4a53e34b9e.gif

Having now seen the whole show, Andrade and Vickie’s surprise has to be Thea Trinidad, surely? God bless Vickie, maybe the return of crowds will see her get nuclear heat again and everything will be right in the world, but right now she feels like such an odd fit for AEW. She doesn’t help Andrade and her being booked in a comedy tag match with the women drags everyone down. This should have been the time where they capitalised on Britt Baker’s momentum but everything so far is just cooling her off week-on-week. Hopefully they kill two birds with one stone and Trinidad comes out on Saturday as Vickie’s replacement in the tag and Andrade’s new mouthpiece.

The irony in all of this though is that Andrade’s sit down with JR confirmed he doesn’t need a mouthpiece at all. The broken English and subtitles complimented his presentation perfectly.

The suit, the shades, sipping whiskey, softly explaining how’s he’s the very best. The whole package is top guy stuff. Real vintage Conor McGregor vibes. And that’s without even revealing our little secret that he now looks like the Incredible Hulk when he takes his shirt off.

Thoughts and prayers for Karrion Kross watching this show on Friday, having worn his own suit on Tuesday. Two opposite ends of the spectrum.

43751A5B-C54A-4AD9-B8A4-77E675940F77.thumb.jpeg.24484d984676a81e5bf845954b201687.jpeg

Global superstar.

46A3D47E-E9D0-4822-BFA4-E4AD86EF270A.thumb.jpeg.1f2fd276a71800becf4ac2b38e8294b1.jpeg

Got off with a suspended sentence and community service.

Edited by Supremo

The Varsity Blondes just scream money don't they? They remind me of the early 90's tag scene so much (which i know is the point) and with Julia Hart now in tow (who looks like an early contender for breakout star of the year 2022) they are well on the way to being the perfect package.

And unlike WWE, AEW will stick with this team (it's well known as soon as one person starts to shine, Vince breaks up the tag team, hence why we have the Marty Jannety curse)

The MMA fight was a great Shoot Wrestling match, it is what it is, some people will love it, other hate it, there is very little in between. Personally I loved it. Hager as a face is curious to me, I have never considered him as a face but at the moment it really suits him.

Question on the Cody & Dustin school, The nightmare factory (I think it's called?) can anybody apply and attend? If so, if I'm a young wrestler in America I'm packing my bags and moving there because that surely has to be the best way to get into AEW?

What's the thoughts on The Elite Hunter Frankie Kazarian? Seems a bit 'we need an extra body in this mix, so who's free?' But he seems to be doing OK, just doesn't command a huge presence when doing run-ins though which is a worry long term.

Plus Andrade v Wardlow would be a 'man-crush' dream match!

Edited by Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete

8 hours ago, Supremo said:

The irony in all of this though is that Andrade’s sit down with JR confirmed he doesn’t need a mouthpiece at all. The broken English and subtitles complimented his presentation perfectly.

I totally agree, I loved it. And when it came to that initial promo with Vickie to introduce Andrade, he was far better than her on the mic. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't object to a reunited pairing of Andrade/Thea; but I think he'd do perfectly well without a manager. What a blown opportunity by WWE, though. The guy has star quality oozing out of his pores. 

4 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

What's the thoughts on The Elite Hunter Frankie Kazarian? Seems a bit 'we need an extra body in this mix, so who's free?' But he seems to be doing OK, just doesn't command a huge presence when doing run-ins though which is a worry long term.

It didn't work for me. One of AEW's strengths is how cool and fresh it feels, and Kazarian's references to "the lord" and religion were neither of those. It made him seem like a Christian fundamentalist more than it did a mysterious, dangerous, lone wolf type character (which I assume is the intention).